Fuds or silosocks

Hi, I have not been pigeon shooting very long. I started out with the basic plastic decoys,I am now thinking of changing some for the non-reflective type and would appreciate fellow shooters input on the best ones to go for, in ease of carrying and affectiveness at decoying the pigeons. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks chunky

I cant' comment on the effectiveness of the "socks" as I haven't got any , but there are plenty of helpful people on here who can tell you their opinions.

I started with and still use the plastic shells ( for ease of carrying) and found that when they got wet that they were a bit shiny on brighter days BUT I did find that with a little time and very little effort that was easily overcome.

Pop into your local diy store and get some of the little sample pots of paint ( normally on offer at silly cheap prices) and get some matt grey , bright matt white and matt black and you can paint your decoys so they are non shiny. Doesn't take very long and you have solved the problem .

As with all my comments, it's only my opinion and what I've found works for me.

kind regards

Ones a posh silhouette in effect the other more a motion and number decoy. As such its like comparing cars with quads. Some full bodies, some sillhouttes and some motion deeks will work best for any bird (even dead birds and landers / fliers). I don't decoy Pigeon but the principle is the same for crows, ducks and geese etc. you don't want them all looking just the same as real birds vary in their actions and pose.

As such neither is better just different IMO

Thanks guys for your input,i've found it very helpfully. I had looked at the covers u mention cranfield and was very interested in them,but how do they stay on and r they quite robust? Thanks again

Slit the belly of the sock slightly and glue them on to the plastic shell .... quite robust. I've a dozen or so like that that have been going for many years.

I've used bot Silosocks and FUDS and have say the FUDS win hands down.

The Silowocks were a little hit bad miss where as the FUDS work every time.

Only down side to the FUDas is the red mount they come with, I cut it off and use my own rods which allow them to sway and turn into the wind.

Its of course upto you and no doubt many different views but.

Don't get fud's I have them and they are:

Static. Take time to set up and put away (esp when older). They are heavy. They carry a lot of mud when you lift them.On hard ground they are very difficult to set up. They are limited in application ( you can't put them in a tree or hedge, they cannot be put on longer pegs where there is ground cover). They end up deformed in the bottom of a kit bag.

IMO get a mix of full bodied and shell. Make a moving decoy with a stick hanging string and hook.

Its of course upto you and no doubt many different views but.

Don't get fud's I have them and they are:

Static. Take time to set up and put away (esp when older). They are heavy. They carry a lot of mud when you lift them.On hard ground they are very difficult to set up. They are limited in application ( you can't put them in a tree or hedge, they cannot be put on longer pegs where there is ground cover). They end up deformed in the bottom of a kit bag.

IMO get a mix of full bodied and shell. Make a moving decoy with a stick hanging string and hook.

I take it you didn't read the post above yours.

• 1 month later...

I bought some FUDS off a fellow shooter who stated that they were useless.I cut the red stake off them and used alloy rods instead.The next time I went shooting with him he got six and I got fourty,both in the same field with him having the better position.He was flabbergasted.Sometimes you have to adapt equipment if you think it can be improved upon.

I bought some FUDS off a fellow shooter who stated that they were useless.I cut the red stake off them and used alloy rods instead.The next time I went shooting with him he got six and I got fourty,both in the same field with him having the better position.He was flabbergasted.Sometimes you have to adapt equipment if you think it can be improved upon.

From that, i'd deduce you were in the best spot.

some 40 years ago we used the flexicoy deeks , then shells [ some manufactured in the uk ] and now I must say that the sillosocks type are really good.

we use the pigeon and crow sillos , which seem to work very well. have got a few fuds and cant say that they are no good its just that they seem to take some time to set up, have now abandoned the metal stake as it was a bit on the heavy and unmoveable side

i also have made up some thin ply 3 d decoys which are my emergency deeks [ having forgotton to put the normal decoys in the truck] and they stay in the back of the truck.

crows seem to do a double take on these and come back for a second look.

so good luck with what you decide on , when you get a bit on the older side [ like this old chap] then i would plump for sillosox

I will remind him next time i see him lol think Im goingnto try that mod mate just wish this weather would do one.