Certificate renewal & beta blockers

Dragon one

I have held my shotgun certificate for many years & early next year my licence comes up for renewal, my query is two years ago I was diagnosed with my doctor with social anxiety disorder & have been on one 80mg beta blocker a day as treatment ever since, do you think this will affect my chances in any way renewing my certificate ?

Welcome to the 'madhouse' Dragon one,

To be honest I don't see the medication per se being the issue. I would imagine the reason behind such a prescription would have more relevance.

I agree with sonicdmb and his advice.

I have some personal experience of this medication and though the reasons behind my prescription were different to yours it was still an anxiety/stress related illness of sorts.

So if you would like to discuss this further, feel free to PM me

ATB remmyman

You have been fine for the last couple of years on them with sgc so may stand in your favor. But as said it will all come down to what your doctor says. I would go see him before renewal and explain what's going to happen so he's expecting it, and explain the consequence if its not worded correctly!!

Just be honest in your dealings and you should be ok. It is the attempt to deceive which doesn't go down well, so inform your FEO when you apply and he will then contact your GP. Anxiety/stress disorders are rife in this day and age and are easily treatable. One point in your favour would be if your GP knows you are a shooter and doesn't feel the need to inform licensing. Whether this is the case or not I still wouldn't worry unduly. Your shooting organisation may also be able to advise.

Its noted this is your first post!

Firearms will decide in conjunction with what the GP says, there is nothing wrong with the licencing system in this regards. Your GP will usually advice anyway with immediate effect if a risk to public safety was thought present. Probably best to ask those concerned with the decision rather than canvass random shooting folk

Hi There

I have been enjoying all types of country persuits since I were a 5 year old and holding FAC and SGL since 1978 but last year my doc Put me on Cipramil for what he called "anxiety attacks" so,I called my FEO for a chat and to ask him what he thought about the treatment and he immediately recommended I send my FAC and SGL back voluntarily asap!!but then when I finish my treatment I should apply for them again,my doc has recently reduced my dosage and says I should be ok to apply in the next 4-6 months he also stressed that Anxiety is not depression but the "Mental stigma"will always stick when anti-depressants are mentioned.I miss my hobby so much and now live in hope however,my son has his certificates and I tag along with him but it's not the same as I can only go when he has time off work...Will keep you posted as to what happens.

ATB

Mal

Hi There

I have been enjoying all types of country persuits since I were a 5 year old and holding FAC and SGL since 1978 but last year my doc Put me on Cipramil for what he called "anxiety attacks" so,I called my FEO for a chat and to ask him what he thought about the treatment and he immediately recommended I send my FAC and SGL back voluntarily asap!!but then when I finish my treatment I should apply for them again,my doc has recently reduced my dosage and says I should be ok to apply in the next 4-6 months he also stressed that Anxiety is not depression but the "Mental stigma"will always stick when anti-depressants are mentioned.

As you'll know Cipramil is an anti depressant. I don't understand why your GP is treating you for depression if you only suffer from anxiety attacks. :|

Citalopram (cipramil) is licensed in the UK for panic disorder which might be described as 'anxiety attacks'

I can understand why a certificate holder is wary of an association with depression. However, depression and anxiety are two sides of the same coin in clinical practice and all of the SSRIs can be effective for anxiety (sometimes at higher doses than used for depression)

Beta blockers are used to control the physical effects of 'nerves' eg rapid heart beat. and are very much a first level, primary care intervention. I can't see how someone with anxiety symptoms controlled with beta blockers and no other issues shouldn't be a fit and proper person

All the best

Can't understand why we are in this position. You are still allowed to drive your car w/o intervention and as we all know there will be a couple of thousand die on our roads this year and a few thou more seriously injured.

My family are going through a very very stressfull time but because of the worry of what GP might say to plod I would have to be climbing the wall before I sought help. It is hugely counterproductive.

Can't understand why we are in this position. You are still allowed to drive your car w/o intervention and as we all know there will be a couple of thousand die on our roads this year and a few thou more seriously injured.

My family are going through a very very stressfull time but because of the worry of what GP might say to plod I would have to be climbing the wall before I sought help. It is hugely counterproductive.

I too believe that the threat of possibly losing ones certificates if help is sought for stress/anxiety related problems is counter productive, as the thought of losing ones certificates exacerbates any stress or anxiety,but after a prolonged period of hyper activity, little sleep,and little food the effects are that the mind and body simply shut down and cease to function in any productive manner when it gets too bad to handle.Prior to this the sufferer is aware they need help, but this is put off until they are incapable of functioning normally and have no other option than to seek help. At this point getting well and a longing to be 'normal' again outweighs all other considerations.

The knowledge that their certificates are not automatically at risk could possibly be an incentive for people to seek help earlier rather than later.

I too believe that the threat of possibly losing ones certificates if help is sought for stress/anxiety related problems is counter productive, as the thought of losing ones certificates exacerbates any stress or anxiety,but after a prolonged period of hyper activity, little sleep,and little food the effects are that the mind and body simply shut down and cease to function in any productive manner when it gets too bad to handle.Prior to this the sufferer is aware they need help, but this is put off until they are incapable of functioning normally and have no other option than to seek help. At this point getting well and a longing to be 'normal' again outweighs all other considerations.

The knowledge that their certificates are not automatically at risk could possibly be an incentive for people to seek help earlier rather than later.

This was me around 3 years ago when my ex left with the kids. I cried all the time and lost 3stone from not eating.

I refused help through fear of loosing my sgc but then I was marched to the docs by my parents :( but I'm great ever since . I believe I was more of a risk off them than on them. It's ridiculous .

I waited 12 months after coming off them before going fac

Citalopram (cipramil) is licensed in the UK for panic disorder which might be described as 'anxiety attacks'

I can understand why a certificate holder is wary of an association with depression. However, depression and anxiety are two sides of the same coin in clinical practice and all of the SSRIs can be effective for anxiety (sometimes at higher doses than used for depression)

Beta blockers are used to control the physical effects of 'nerves' eg rapid heart beat. and are very much a first level, primary care intervention. I can't see how someone with anxiety symptoms controlled with beta blockers and no other issues shouldn't be a fit and proper person

All the best

My wife takes this for the very reason above and has done for many years with out it she is ok until crowds or going shopping, but you would never know.

Alan

The OP hasn't been back from his initial post, hares hoping his question wasn't an anti gathering data then :rolleyes: Note 1 post and a very unusual question to ask

I think all pw members from now on need to look at the op before any of us respond. Looks like there are some strange ones out there

I think all pw members from now on need to look at the op before any of us respond. Looks like there are some strange ones out there

I have to say that I to thought it strange that the OP hasn't been in touch. Being a new member I would have imagined that he/she would be as keen as mustard.

I feel slightly foolish for having made the offer that I did :blush:

Live and learn I guess

Regards remmyman

Don't worry about it. If it was a genuine post he may have got some help; if it wasn't what has he learned? That many shooters are loonies? Is that news? Look out for a revelation from the Daily Mail soon!

I have to say that I to thought it strange that the OP hasn't been in touch. Being a new member I would have imagined that he/she would be as keen as mustard.

I feel slightly foolish for having made the offer that I did :blush:

Live and learn I guess

Regards remmyman

Don't worry guys I am 100% genuine I give you my word & I am following this post carefully & taking on board all your advice carefully, I would like to thank you all for your advice to date. Edited by Dragon one