Which 20 gauge?

jimmyb79

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new 20 gauge o/u. It's going to be mainly used as a rough shooting gun and maybe the odd pigeon day and occasional clay.

I've already got a 12 gauge o/u (Miroku MK38) and a Browning Maxus semi.

My budgets no more than £2000 and quite fancy a silver pigeon deluxe but interested to see what others might recommend. I'd prefer new ideally...

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loads to choose from new you should go and try a few and see what feels good, but I dare day there might be some good buys coming up at the end of the season...

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=131012130702001&skipNo=0&perPage=60&Filter%5BNewType%5D%5B%5D=Shotgun&Filter%5BNewMechanism%5D%5B%5D=Over+and+Under&Filter%5BCalibre%5D%5B%5D=20+gauge&Filter%5BMake%5D%5B%5D=Caesar+Guerini&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

Edited by HDAV

Mrs Sim has a Bericciani (sp?) Medallist in 20G, which is largely irrelevant to your question, but... hang in there.... I love this gun, as a tool it is so pointable, and I really struggle to miss with it.... it really has become my first choice for vermin shooting (!)

Thing is, it is rather short, 26" barrels, and it occurred to me that you might like to consider shorter barrel lengths, to see if they suit you - frankly I have been somewhat amazed how I shoot with this.

obviously YMMV....

As above if you shoot a miroku i would stay with a browning/miroku. Ive seen grade 5 mk60's and 70's go for within your budget, and even new ones around 2250. I had a grade 5 mk60 20 and regretted selling it, really nicely balanced with the fixed choke barrels.

Ive never got on with berettas and had a 20 bore silver pigeon when i was younger, when i pick them up now they feel too small and light for me. I wouldnt fancy putting a good few 28 gram game loads through them in a day either.

I would suggest if you shoot well with the miroku go for something from the browning stable. they have a deeper action and slightly different profile than the berrettas... although i have to say the silver pigeon in 20 ga is very nice!!!

I agree.

I shoot Browning 525s in 12g and also own a Miroku 20g. With both being from the Browning stable, swapping between them is so much easier.

Cheers for replies so far. Have just been over to Greenfields in Canterbury. Haven't been there for years and wish I hadn't bothered!

They only had half a dozen 20s in and only one beretta and one browning. The browning was a 525 and had a non-pistol grip stock (can't think of its proper name!) and felt just wrong. The beretta came up nice and felt good but need to shoot it to see. I get the logic re which make to shoot so will be hunting for a local miroku to try as well.

The lad at Greenfields wasn't fussed whether I spent my £££ there so I'll keep looking!

Edited by jimmyb79

I picked up a Silver Pigeon 20 guage with 30 inch barrels and it felt great.

If I had the money I would buy one for walked up

I shoot A 20 sp and love it is all I can say ;)

I bought a silver pigeon 20 bore deluxe with 30 inch barrels the other week. I've put about 350 carts through it now and keep shooting better and better with it.

Last Sunday I even beat a mate at clays for the first time and I only used 21 gram carts !!

As all the above :good: I picked up all sorts in the dealers last year, and the SP was streets ahead in handling, balance and finish. As I'm a tall bloke, I went for the SP1,30" barrels (29 1/2) Love every minute of using it and rarely pick up the 12g now. Does all the 12g did and more :yes::good: You can honestly walk all day with it and for hide work its perfect. I reload my carts for it too which is immensely satisfying :good:

Edited by turbo33

Browning is to release a B725 in 20 Gauge. They are on the usa Browning price list for 2014 in the states. Will it come to the uk in April don't know?. You could ring BWM. Bet they wouldn't know till they get hit round the head with it anyway. Talk is there may be a 32" one as well. Sit back wait and see.

Browning is to release a B725 in 20 Gauge. They are on the usa Browning price list for 2014 in the states. Will it come to the uk in April don't know?. You could ring BWM. Bet they wouldn't know till they get hit round the head with it anyway. Talk is there may be a 32" one as well. Sit back wait and see.

That might be worth a look. Cheers for that

Think a new gun, forget all the popular makers etc and look at all the guns with a fresh mind

No one make is really that much better than any other be it a purdey or a Russian gun, will you shoot better with a £100, 000gunor a £500gun. Yes the wood is better and possibly the engraving hand done to perfection, but will it enable you to shoot any better

There is probably over 100 gunmakers offering 20g guns, consider them all, you are an experienced shot so have a fress look at whats around

Think a new gun, forget all the popular makers etc and look at all the guns with a fresh mind

No one make is really that much better than any other be it a purdey or a Russian gun, will you shoot better with a £100, 000gunor a £500gun. Yes the wood is better and possibly the engraving hand done to perfection, but will it enable you to shoot any better

There is probably over 100 gunmakers offering 20g guns, consider them all, you are an experienced shot so have a fress look at whats around

You won't get a free gun fit on a try gun and then have the gun hand made to you measurements for £500 you will £100,000.

Any gun must fit.

Fortunately, I learnt the hard way with gun fit when I started out years ago and am not planning on making the same mistake this time around. I wouldn't mind giving the william powell a crack, I'm tall and my guns all have long LOPs so the 15" stock on the Perseus might be just right.

Anyone know whether you can shoot their guns first over there?

I've found a lovely miroku MK60 game model for sale. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between he mk38 sporter which I currently shoot and the mk60?

The gun is a long way from me and I'm just wondering what the chances of a good fit are likely to be before I trek over there.

My MK38 LOP is 15" with pad but 14" to the end of the wood which is he same as the 60 I'm looking at...

Edited by jimmyb79