Car crapped out

Lord Geordie

After 3 years of owning my Cavalier and putting on around 10,000 miles (now sitting at just under 50,000 miles) it decided to **** out on me! :no: :no:

No warning no nothing! Went beating on Staurday Newcastle to Alnwick not a pick of bother and parked it up. Tried starting it today and it just turns over!

Got a spark and I can see the injector throwing fuel into the venturi but it just wont fire up!

Tried to crank, and you can hear there is compression but just splutters, Gave it a bump and away it went! Parked up and idled fine! Go to touch the accelerator and it just cuts out. Then it wont start again.

I have serviced the car regular and when I bought it I fitted a brand new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, aux belt, tensioner, plugs, leads, coil, dizzy cap, oil, oil filter and air filter etc.

the car when running smells VERY rich and is emitting quite a bit of rich smelling smoke!

I believe either the head gasket has gone or perhaps a Cat failure!

I am NOW having to look for a new car! I have been looking at the Peugeot 1.4 HDI models but only have a grand to spend!

Might have to sell a few bits to get a new car now :no: :no: :no:

Check out the temp sensor first, sounds like it could be reading wrong and the Ecu fueling accordingly

Something along these lines sounds right. If it idles fine but stalls on acceleration that must be a clue. How old is the car? Will give us a steer on what electronic witchcraft is likely to be inside.

*just read Cavalier so guessing early 90's?

Edited by Munzy

That would be my guess too , first thing it to either get it plugged in or make sure every plug is pushed onto the sensors tight. Crank sensor is another possibility.

I had a crank sensor failure, not quite these symptoms but these little sensors can certainly mess things up!

Got mine on a diagnostic machine which flagged up the error code which shows which sensor was playing up. £25 for the new sensor in my case.

I had Peugeot cars for best part of 20 years before going over to a big 4x4 for towing the boat trailer.

In all that time I did one tappet adjuster screw on an old pushrod petrol 504 estate, cost me about £2 for a new one and half an hour to repair. Snapped a cam belt on a 406 estate due to not changing the belt so entirely my own fault.

Apart from that they were faultless and I'd have another one tomorrow if I didn't still need the 4x4. They make some of the best turbo diesels out there and have done for some time now.

I wouldn't want a vauxhall for a gift, my cavalier blew up and was generally an unreliable orrible heap.

What makes you say head gasket buddy?

White smoke! I had a good long think last night and came to the conclusion that perhaps the cam sensor may have gave up? That would sent the timing out, Leading to unburned fuel down the exhaust "white smoke" and failure to start as it don't know when to spark!

I wouldn't want a vauxhall for a gift, my cavalier blew up and was generally an unreliable orrible heap.

How very Dare you Sir!

Having had Peugeots before and no trouble other than part prices and design flaws with coil springs and ball joints they were fab!

Since pasding my test I have had Astras mk1 mk2 mk3! Cavaliers Mk2 and mk3. I have also had the Chevettes and novas and even a Carlton. Non were any hassle and THIS is the first major issue I have ever had with a Vauxhall, With exception to the new Agila pile of poop!

But having said that, the new 1.6hdi peugeots are a pile also. New cars in general in my view :/

Edited by Lord Geordie

The car should run with head gasket failure and just get excessively hot?

Then again, you would have probably noticed if the head gasket was gone before total failure? I.e temp sensor running up and throwing coolant out the bottom etc...

I tested my head gasket the fun way, rad cap off and start motor - blew a load of coolant out - proof enough. On further investigation I had 2 severe cracks.

Your problem sounds fuel related, and possibly due to a sensor or a blockage somewhere perhaps? my motorbike had same symptoms before, but it was a snapped choke cable.

Bum. Mine dropped coolant out last week, I put it down to having not used it much recently :(

Could be, just because it dropped the coolant out doesn't mean every time its a HGF. It could be a split pipe?

It's more if the expansion bottle boils like a kettle and pukes out all your coolant. My expansion bottle also had oily **** in it and smelled of exhaust smoke.

Could be, just because it dropped the coolant out doesn't mean every time its a HGF. It could be a split pipe?

It's more if the expansion bottle boils like a kettle and pukes out all your coolant. My expansion bottle also had oily **** in it and smelled of exhaust smoke.

It's a car that hasn't seen much use of late but my GF has now taken it on as an every day car. May be best to get it looked at. Smell of fuel soon after starting too. I hate the expense of vehicles.

It's a car that hasn't seen much use of late but my GF has now taken it on as an every day car. May be best to get it looked at. Smell of fuel soon after starting too. I hate the expense of vehicles.

As said! Check hoses! Thermostat housing for cracks or hose to radiator joints for leakage. May even just be the rad leaking!