Which is the best waterproof game shooting coat?

chesterse

If you can find a shark country jacket they are the best I have ever seen, but the company was bought out a few years ago and they stopped that line. From a company who built their name through survival suits for the oil industry, they knew what they were doing.

Second to this harkila seen to be a good standard .

Schoffel Ultralight is indeed very light, but also very warm (has a thermal insulating layer) and waterproof. Don't much rate its chances against barbed wire though .......

Schoffel Extreme looks tough and should be (not had it long) very waterproof. It has no thermal layer, so needs other layers in cold weather.

Both are (unfortunately) seriously expensive.

My 20 year old Musto has been excellent, though rather tired (and a bit tight round the middle) now.

I would vote for the Harkila Pro Hunter X. I started by buying just the trousers, they were so good that I purchased the jacket.. I find the trousers warmer than the jacket, but the jacket so far has been very water proof and is a fair compromise for rifle and shotgun movement requirements, the main pockets are good for cartridges etc and there are also neat diagonal pockets mid section to slip your hands into and still be able to cradle the gun. The only issue is the jacket size. As mentioned previously on this forum you need to normaly purchase 1 size smaller than normal. I also purchased the gloves.. they are very warm but too big for rifle or shotgun. The only negative aspect is the price.....

Dave

Schoffel Ultralight is indeed very light, but also very warm (has a thermal insulating layer) and waterproof. Don't much rate its chances against barbed wire though .......

Schoffel Extreme looks tough and should be (not had it long) very waterproof. It has no thermal layer, so needs other layers in cold weather.

Both are (unfortunately) seriously expensive.

My 20 year old Musto has been excellent, though rather tired (and a bit tight round the middle) now.

funny how coats shrink around the middle mine have aswell

I have a green Musto for 'posh' days but can't recall the model, and another in real-tree for less 'posher' days. Both are around the 10 year old mark now but have never let me down, but neither has a Laksen camo' jacket I was given many years ago. The only snag with it is it has to very very cold before I can wear it as it is a very warm coat. The Laksen is Gore-tex but the other two are just labelled as 'performance'.

Both the Mustos were relatively cheap (I dont like paying full price for much if I can help it) as one was a discontinued model without its hood and the other was in a J.Norris end of season sale. Shop about, there are bargains out there.

When I first moved to the country I bought a Mascot waxed coat, lasted about 10/11 years until it " shrunk " or as others have honestly said I got bigger, replaced it with another again lasted 10/11 years ....warm / dry didn't tear plenty of pocket space etc, went to buy a third about 2 years ago and was told they were no longer being made (if anyone knows different PLEASE let me know).

Said to the man in the shop "I've had 2 in the last 20 odd years great coats "

He said " Yeah that's why they stopped making them ,company went broke"

I expect someone will post what's the point of posting about a coat you can't buy anymore BUT maybe someone knows where you can still get one

kind regards