Badger Cull

Dekers

I don't recall the exact stat but is was something like 18% took longer than 5 minutes to die - they don't even have that accuracy in A and E depts so who the hell worked that out? Did every shooter have an independent assessor with them? I can't believe professional shooters would have fed back "yeah about one in five took forever to finally snuff it"

smells fishy to me

it was a government commissioned analysis that showed that 18% of those shot took over five minuites to die.and this was deemed to have failed the test for humaneness.there was 1771 shot which was only 50% of what was supposed to be shot.the target was to kill 70% of the badgers that lived in the nominated area. for the cull.they obviously never used the right men for the job.

Appreciate the responses, I'm lost over which shooters would admit to this, I'm also lost as to what calibre they were shooting and what experience they had, apparently they were all specially selected and trained prior to the cull?

Where do these figures come from, who complied them, who admitted to them?

Something really does smell here!

Badgers are tough! seen one hit by two cars and still kept going!

so it could be possible if a shot didn't hit its mark, on the other hand how long does it take to walk from a shooting position to the target !?

Valid observations.

Squirrels are tuff, for their size/weight, probably the toughest animal I have come across!

Everything is tough in principle and has a desire to live, lots of things get hit by cars, including people, but shoot them in the right place with the right ammo and they die, and it doesn't take 5 min's or more!

ATB! :good:

Don't believe a word of it - no shooter would admit to letting one suffer. If only wounded there would either be a follow up shot or Brock would have disappeared down a hole.

Don't believe a word of it - no shooter would admit to letting one suffer. If only wounded there would either be a follow up shot or Brock would have disappeared down a hole.

just google badger cull and it sets it out,i would think as a government backed thing they would have had observers out with the guns.just to make sure it was all correct and of course to witness any anti brigade antics.

I would want that observer to be a vet if they are going to be pronouncing death!

Appreciate the responses, I'm lost over which shooters would admit to this, I'm also lost as to what calibre they were shooting and what experience they had, apparently they were all specially selected and trained prior to the cull?

Where do these figures come from, who complied them, who admitted to them?

Something really does smell here!

Have a butchers at this report...interesting reading and smacks of being compiled by people who don't have a good working knowledge of shooting.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B13mFkdZ4mgHRTIzNEVoLTI3ZFBoOThuaXRUcy1oT2luTk44/edit?pli=1

Edited by Therealchucknorris

on radio4 the ratio of badgers that had taken moor than 5 mins to dye was up to 6-18% so there is there a little fudging of the numbers to make headlines

It was on BBC Radio 4 so it must be true! :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I am not disputing the figure as such, simply trying to get my head round it.

It does indeed seem a very odd statistic which many have raised valid points over, such as, who was standing there timing it, and if they were, why didn't the badger get dispatched rather than timing it?