SXS

Spaniel

Hi

I mainly do wildfowling on the foreshore with the odd bit of pheasant shooting where I use my xtreama two and silver pigeon but I fancy a side be side although I have never fired one before

which models would you recommend I should look out for

cheers ian

Try and find one with beavertale foreend, imo they are better for shooting the bigger loads with as you get ahold of them better. If you are looking at budget guns then gunmark kestrel, zababla both do 3" side by side. AYA no3 is a classic 3" gun.

Is the side by side for fowling or pheasant?

Edited by Big Mat

Any good 3" magnum proofed gun as long as it aint for walked up, my choice for value and quality an AYA but there are many out there English box lock non ejector or cheaper Spanish guns. As you already own a super mag ? I shouldn't bother with one in a side by side. Be choosy as there are plenty about, condition is everything when buying unless its give away money and get those chokes opened to no greater than half. A more recent one? shouldn't bother.

If it was for walked up I should choose an nice lighter weight and well balanced English BLNE from a well known but not premium brand maker and I shouldn't be against a 2 1/2" chamber

Very cheap gun? Something like a Baikal and I should not pay as much as a slab of decent shells for a relatively clean one either

Thank you for all the comments

I have not really thought about a budget as really wanting to understand what gun would be suitable etc then I will look at saving some pennies but nothing to expensive as I already have a xtreama 2 but just fancied having a sxs which I could use for wildfowling

Thank you for all the comments

I have not really thought about a budget as really wanting to understand what gun would be suitable etc then I will look at saving some pennies but nothing to expensive as I already have a xtreama 2 but just fancied having a sxs which I could use for wildfowling

A non eject is great on evening flight as you are not searching around for empties and it opens to a shallow angle than you O/U a big plus in a hole or cramped gutter. Quick swap of shells duck to goose or one in either tube with double triggers.

I might have read the intro wrong but it sounds like your covered for wildfowling and clays/ pigeon and are thinking of a game gun, if so stay away from 3 inch mags and go for something well balanced with a touch of niceness to it

Edit....Scrub that just seen your last comment

Edited by Paul223

There are some lovely old non ejector English s/s guns by the likes if Bland, Tolley etc, who did wildfowling versions, but I suspect most are 2 3/4" chambers, not 3" - and they don't come up for sale all that often. Nice though. AyA did do some 'magnum' models, but they don't seem plentiful either.

Guest cookoff013

i`ve a merkel, great bit of kit, not really steel shot worthy, but for lead its good.

check out a gunmark kestrel, sleepers come up now and again.

check out a gunmark kestrel, sleepers come up now and again.

Gunmark Kestrels were made by Zabala. Zabalas are certainly good solid guns, haven't shot mine yet as I'm still refinishing the stock. But in quality terms I would say that my AYA Yeoman has the edge, which was reflected in the buying prices when both were new.

Tom

go fire 1 first........they look great but in my opinion,especially as you are used to o/u/semi will be bit harder to use well.....

if you decide you want 1 then set yer budget.........as above, AYA are the beretta of s/s,reliable/hold value/last......or british non ejectors great value......