Bow Hunting Large Game. Do you agree with it ?

Fisherman Mike

Just had my nephew stay with us for a few days hes an American from Montana and into his hunting and fishing big time and most inmportantly a great source of goods form cabellas who he used to work for.

He has been telling me horror stories about bow hunting..we see the relatively clean kills on video ( animal dies within an hour ) but he suggests that in over 75% of cases ( the ones we do not see) it can take days even weeks to die. One particular hunt he went on a couple of years back for black bear they tracked it for 4 days before they found its dead body !!!

And the reports of Deer, Boar, and Bear wandering around for months with arrows stuck in them are apparently common together with deer turning up at Animal welfare centres with horrific putriying arrow wounds.

Hes tried it and doesnt like it at all and now sticks to rifle hunting with the appropriate calibre to kill instantly.

Do any of you have any experience of Bow Hunting or opinions on it.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Ive never done it myself but my wife's American relative's come to stay couple of times a year.

knowing I'm a keen shooter they always have video footage on disc and ipads to show me of there great bow sport .

It's a disgrace its allowed to go imho , the quickest I seen an animal to die was around 40 mins while pthere chatting and having a smoke and biging themselves up , a deer they hit with a liver area shot was not to be seen again after they'd spent around 2 hrs looking for it

So sport !!! I don't think so not for me , sport/hunting is about outwitting your quarry resulting with a clean quick kill

Just to add also, I use a compound bow and recurve bow regularly and agree they are very powerful and extremely accurate in the correct hands ,but would never want to use it on live quarry

Edited by fruity

'Hes tried it and doesnt like it at all and now sticks to rifle hunting with the appropriate calibre to kill instantly.'

From personal experience, apart from head shots I don't know any calibre rifle will kill instantly.

Not done Bowhunting myself and therefore have no personal experience, however I can say for sure that it takes alot more field craft and skill to get within killing range of the quarry. Also as for not finding quarry after being shot, why do you think that if you go stalking there is always a cost for lost beasts, because it happens it stalking as well.

I can't see how people can pick and choose what is good and what isn't when the end result is the same. Hunting, shooting, bowhunting, fishing, trapping, it's all the same and we should support each other. We should learn from the Americans and the freedom they have to do what they want, while we get things banned left right and centre.

The only time how hunting is ok to me is when you need food and don't have a gun.

Not my idea of sporting unless your a Robin Hood with one.

Figgy

whats how hunting? is that looking for fred dineage.

KW

Im probably the last person you will find on this forum that needs to be convinced of the accuracy of a compound bow in skilled hands.

apologies! i was agreeing with your post, it made good sense to me. :good:

there was a similar thread on the bbs where some people were arguing that a 12lbsft air rifle is more humane than a compound bow. :lol:

Edited by artschool

Guest rimotu66

this.

when you have actually shot a compound bow then you will realise how accurate they are.

Accurate into a still target yes, but accuracy is only part of a clean kill.

From personal experience, apart from head shots I don't know any calibre rifle will kill instantly.

Really??? and what is your experience with a .243 100grn soft points then, last buck I shot (not in the head) was dead before he hit the floor, I cant think an arrow would do that

Accurate into a still target yes, but accuracy is only part of a clean kill.

Really??? and what is your experience with a .243 100grn soft points then, last buck I shot (not in the head) was dead before he hit the floor, I cant think an arrow would do that

Where did you shoot him, the neck?

What experience? Shot large Devon reds stags with .243, one through the heart, still ran for 100 yards or more. Thats why stalkers leave the animals after they have shot to bleed out, which is how they die from engine room shots.

If you are 'pining' animals they drop on the spot but don't die instantly.

What other experience do you want to hear about, shot Chinese, muntjac, alot of Roe, Reds, but never a Sika. Shot them in the head, neck, engine room, pinned them and missed them on rare occassions.

Modern bows are extremely accurate, but that doesn't mean they are easy to use. Hitting a kill zone with a rifle is a hell of a lot easier that doing it with a compound bow, the distance and wind make a lot of difference to an arrow.

What next ? Spear hunting ? Or maybe a season for those that wish to use clubs ?

People hunt-shoot because they like it and its leagal and within their rights,not because they need too. For most people its hoby-or sport if you will. Some like the bang some like to hit the target and some just like to kill things. I dont have an opinion on it as dont know much about it. most of the people are a bit too quick to judge on this forum. As long as its leagal I say stick at it or they will loose it. What about bow fishing, is that also wrong,now I would like a go at that. Its a bit like fox hunting,chasing a poor terrified fox around the countryside with hounds. Why not just lamp at night. And look what happen to that. Ps I dont agree or disagree with that either,spent many a happy days with the hounds in my youth with the family also.

Do you want to ban shotguns because of the occasional pricked bird?

Why do people have to twist things in my apinion shooting is the best way to kill things that is of cource assuming that you have the ability to do it as for the above I thought that was what dogs are for to retrieve things so that they can be quickly dispatched.

Why do people have to twist things in my apinion shooting is the best way to kill things that is of cource assuming that you have the ability to do it as for the above I thought that was what dogs are for to retrieve things so that they can be quickly dispatched.

not trying to twist anything, just have a discussion.

surely we should be rifle shooting pheasant on the ground as this will result in clean kills.

No-its a disgusting throwback from the cave man era-we have moved on so far that we can kill our victims with the best tools at our disposal-if you kill, be it for sport or food, then you should do it in such a way as to cause the absolute minimum of pain.

No-its a disgusting throwback from the cave man era-we have moved on so far that we can kill our victims with the best tools at our disposal-if you kill, be it for sport or food, then you should do it in such a way as to cause the absolute minimum of pain.

+1

There's te occasional pricked bird then there's every redneck and his possum tryin to act like Rambo and head shot dear with a bow and gettig Mostly gut shots hunting bows need a lot more knowledge than a gun.

just pointing out thats its not as clear cut as made out.