.17hmr noise levels

spready

Guys I'm after abit of help with the .17hmr , looking to possibly get one over the .22lr but would like to know what's the noise levels are like? Are we talking shotgun loud or a lot quieter? And how far will the sound travel? A few of my permissions have residential areas within 1000 yards if say and don't wanna annoy them. I know I could use the 22lr with subs but I have a .17hmr itch that needs scratching.

Sorry for the daft question but couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere :)

Depends were you fire it as the sonic crack is deflected off solid objects. Shot alongside and parallel to say a dry stone wall is a lot noisier than into clean air as the noise is constantly being reflected. If you moderate a supersonic round like the HMR and fire it into the ground just in font of you they just go thud as the sonic crack has no time / distance to build. If you haven't already got an LR then I should get one first, then buy a small centrefire and hand load it to do what you want the hmr for and in some cases so much more again imo.

HMR ammo is too dear for what it can do over a .22 lr, I don't miss mine and its about the last gun I might buy again if we could just buy what we want without a slot. Remember the sound is generated all the way to target its about as noisy as a round passes you as it is sat behind the butt of a well moderated HMR

Have to admit, I always worry about the noise as there is a house on the side of my permission (I airgun shoot her garden) but whenever I ask she never says it's disturbed her. If she's in garden she'll text me saying hi do I want to come over for a cuppa after but apart from that... (An I normally shoot either first light and sometimes lamp). If I was to throw out 20 shots in a row that could be annoying but 1 every so often won't hurt.

The shotgun on the other hand is much more noticeable and she did ask that I only use it in more social hours...

Spready - locally I tend to shoot down in a shallow river valley. At 250 yds nobody can hear it in my house and the neighbours say they can't either indoors. It is a quieter, different crack to a .22lr HV also shot through a mod. An HV is a lot louder and my neighbours do hear that from the same place!! I'd say it was about the same as a suppressed 20 bore but it is a different sound and that's what the ear picks up on. My neighbour's neddys are cool about the HMR even at night when one comes out of the blue.

Agree with Kent's comments on sound - there's a spot on a farm I shoot where the noise from .22subs and the action seems to get trapped and amplified bouncing between two woods 300yds apart. Always catches me out.

Is Midhurst too far for you?

and of course pressure waves do interesting things refracting, diffracting, interfering and reflecting off things....which is why 2 houses near to a bomb will be relatively untouched but one round the corner and on a bit will be wrecked.

Also so I was told recently by a fluid dynamics bod it is the **** (posterior) end of the bullet that produces most of the noise...so there we go................

Edited by LeadWasp

Have to admit, I always worry about the noise as there is a house on the side of my permission (I airgun shoot her garden) but whenever I ask she never says it's disturbed her. If she's in garden she'll text me saying hi do I want to come over for a cuppa after but apart from that... (An I normally shoot either first light and sometimes lamp). If I was to throw out 20 shots in a row that could be annoying but 1 every so often won't hurt.

The shotgun on the other hand is much more noticeable and she did ask that I only use it in more social hours...

My wife is the sound meter, if I take I different gun round the house shooting I always ask her did she hear it and how loud it was.

you sure its just a cuppa she offers you :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Spready

I'm in Basingstoke not far from Farnborough, I have a CZ 452 HMR with a swift moderator. You don't need ear defenders when shooting but you still get a bit of a crack of which I have no idea how far it carries.

I only have a small permission but you are more than welcome to come along one day, have a few shots and see what you think.

I used my HMR last Saturday afternoon in a wood not 500 yrds from folk talking on a patio, only trees without leaves between us. I walked back passed them 20 mins later and they said they hadn't heard the shots. It sounds louder to the shooter. Essential to have a moddy, otherwise you need ear defenders every time.

The .17hmr is an awful lot noisier than .22lr with subs but it sounds as though you have more of an itch than a need and I got the impression that it was "instead of" and not "as well as".

I have an hmr for devastatingly effective flat shooting at, typically 100 yards or so. I also have a couple of .22lr, one with day scope and one with night vision. It comes down to the right tool for the job. At night I use the .22lr for quietness and it is easier to get close (50 yards). During the day it is either hmr or .22lr and I enjoy both. The hmr certainly is not discrete though, and that is often important.

If you have a .22lr, don't give it up for an hmr, you will miss it. Get an hmr as a second rifle and enjoy both.

You know with practice the flat shooting of the HMR is pretty much negated at the majority of its extra effective range window. being so much cheaper to shoot you can also afford to spend that extra trigger time coming to terms with that one and it will improve all your rifle shooting regardless of calibre and velocity.

you sure its just a cuppa she offers you :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Haha with my good looks and charm it wouldn't be a problem. In seriousness, she is a lovely lady and her husband owns a huge construction company and gets me fantastic christmas presents just for airgunning bunnies and dealing with rats in their loft as and when (Plus the odd mole) so who am I to complain eh :-).

My wife is the sound meter, if I take I different gun round the house shooting I always ask her did she hear it and how loud it was.

shooting around the house? Spider control? :-)

In seriousness, that's a good idea as often guns can sound loud regardless to the shooter but to the shot is a different matter. May set up a camera with mic next to a target and shoot it at 30 yards with airgun and then 100 yards with HMR see the difference from being 'next to the target'.

Edited by Mentalmac

Iv never found the HMR 'crack' to be an issue (ASE Ultra mod). Have used it next to farm houses/cottages and never had a noise complaint..... unlike the one time we used the shotgun, as rabbits were EVERYWHERE :rolleyes::whistling:

A few years back bro-in-law was zeroing his rifle. We set out a 100yard target, about 200 yards away from a line of trees - shooting along the trees, not towards. I sat out half way from rifle, and 50-odd yards back from the line of fire. With a mod, the only noise from the 17 came from the trees behind me - couldnt have placed where it came from and it was no louder than an air rifle.

May set up a camera with mic next to a target and shoot it at 30 yards with airgun and then 100 yards with HMR see the difference from being 'next to the target'.

That is unlikely to give you the information you need. Too many variables. If you want to know what it sounds like, find someone else to fire the gun so you can hear it from the point of view of a bystander.

There's a good youtube video done by geordie hunter's which shows the noise of a 17hmr . They set a camera on a target and back out to 100yrds 150yrds and then 200yrds. Supprising how little noise there is.

Paul

Turn the volume up on your computer and it is loud, turn it down and it is quiet!

Sound recording equipment is not linear. Most have microphones and sound inputs with auto level controls and even if switched to manual the circuitry suppresses very high sound levels of short duration. The same applies to using mobile phones or any other simple device to measure sound levels in decibels. Pointless and of novelty value only. You are deluding yourselves.

There are two noises to deal with, muzzle blast and the sonic crack of the bullet. The muzzle blast is far louder and carries much further, that's why you can happily patch 7.62 holes in targets in the butts without ear defenders on, if you were sitting 3yds from the rifle as it was fired your ears would be ringing. The muzzle blast from HMR isn't very loud, and the tiny bullet makes quite a small supersonic crack ( it's related to the diameter of the bullet apparently which is why a rifle bullet is quieter than Concorde).

Turn the volume up on your computer and it is loud, turn it down and it is quiet!

Sound recording equipment is not linear. Most have microphones and sound inputs with auto level controls and even if switched to manual the circuitry suppresses very high sound levels of short duration. The same applies to using mobile phones or any other simple device to measure sound levels in decibels. Pointless and of novelty value only. You are deluding yourselves.

I DO realise it's not perfect sound recording but it does give a BASIC idea of POSSIBLE sounds that we may hear.

Paul