After some new decoys

matty*

Im a dead bird man really never really liked using man made decoys that said.....

When out using dead birds yesterday there were flys all over them from the start.

Id be looking for something realistic and durable.

I dont like shells.

Has to be non shining in sun.

I do like the look of the old flexicoy but a bit expensive.

Did like the look of ringers socks but ive then got to the full bodys and ive heard of a few comments about them shining.

Im undecided what to try,

Any forts?

Matty

I've found the flock coated whole pigeon in the lofting sets to be pretty good.bought some ringers which look really good but have a bit of a shine in sunlight,I thought there might have been more feedback on them by now?

Maybe sillosocks are another option but haven't tried these myself.

Im a dead bird man really never really liked using man made decoys that said.....

When out using dead birds yesterday there were flys all over them from the start.

Id be looking for something realistic and durable.

I dont like shells.

Has to be non shining in sun.

I do like the look of the old flexicoy but a bit expensive.

Did like the look of ringers socks but ive then got to the full bodys and ive heard of a few comments about them shining.

Im undecided what to try,

Any forts?

Matty

What's wrong with shells?

I have several different types of decoy, but these days I stick almost exclusively to fuds or flocked shells if I have no dead birds to start with. They work ok for me.

Another for flocked shells and fuds.

My shooting buddy got some full body flocked from A1 and must admit they do look good.

If you have a 4x4 then full body is good but too bulky if you have to carry any distance.

Shells though are not a compromise in my opinion.

QUESTION............

On the market is a clear spray....i think it gives a "UV" boost to the decoy.............is there any truth in this and does it work or is it SNAKE OIL ? :hmm::hmm::hmm:

I bought some UV spray(black light hairspray)last year for decoys,didn't notice any difference but this year I'm touching up white markings with white UV paint.

Whether UV is going to make a difference I m not sure but if fresh birds work so well is it the UV they give off?

Does the UV in real birds deteriorate after death?

Thanks for replys, turns out mate mite have a sack of flexicoys in his shed i can have, im just not keen on shells have used the befor. Not saying they dont work as im sure they do, just not the decoy for me!

Are you sure the flexicoys don't shine. I seem to remember the ones I have being shiny.

I have some flexicoys, but only use them now on dull,dry days.Rain or sun makes them shine a bit.I did notice the original ones I bought have lasted better than the ones bought about 3 years ago.I'm sure the reason they shine a bit now is because they've been rubbed by bag,other decoys etc.Cheers.

I have some flexicoys, but only use them now on dull,dry days.Rain or sun makes them shine a bit.I did notice the original ones I bought have lasted better than the ones bought about 3 years ago.I'm sure the reason they shine a bit now is because they've been rubbed by bag,other decoys etc.Cheers.

+1

My Flexicoys are ancient; they simply last forever. Yep they do shine a bit but not excessively. The downside if applicable is weight. Having said that, if it's a really bright scorcher of a day, I'll go with Motty and use the flocked shells in preference.

Ive got hold of flexicoys now, gonna give them a refesh and they should be fine.

My late father surprised someone who shouldn't have been where he was and who legged it leaving his decoys behind. All, bar one, a Flexicoy, were rubbish and were binned. The Flexicoy - one of the original ones with the embossed manufacturer's information on the bottom - was stuck on top of a privet hedge at the bottom of his garden and there it stayed. Some 20 years later when Father had died and I was cleaning the house out I finally threw it away even though it was still pulling the odd pigeon in.

Flexicoy originals have given me many thousands of birds and yes they do shine a bit but I paint mine every so often and I have complete confidence in them. Just picked up a few extra from ebay last week at the right price and apart from rape shooting never need more than a dozen to set a pattern out.