.22lr moderator

kier

The Parker Hale was the early mainstay for the .22lr, and the truth is if you are using a subsonic load, as you say, it isn't worth the debate about the difference between them all, perhaps your PH is just a bit long in the tooth and seen better days!

SAK is the front runner today just the same, perfectly capable and good VFM. :yes::good:

The Parker Hale was the early mainstay for the .22lr, and the truth is if you are using a subsonic load, as you say, it isn't worth the debate about the difference between them all, perhaps your PH is just a bit long in the tooth and seen better days!

SAK is the front runner today just the same, perfectly capable and good VFM. :yes::good:

I think my PH is an old one but there may be something else which might be a factor my LR is a semi so is some of the noise coming from the breach when reloading

I think my PH is an old one but there may be something else which might be a factor my LR is a semi so is some of the noise coming from the breach when reloading

No moderator is going to stop any noise the action may make on a .22lr Semi. There should be no propellant noise from the action, despite what it may appear, the bullet and all but a tiny amount of energy has gone out the front of the barrel before your action cycles, spent gases should not be blasting out of your breech!

As you can see I run SAK on most of mine, including the semi at the bottom, and when the second Sirocco dies on the HMR that will get a SAK as well.

post-20848-0-11022900-1398977446_thumb.jpg

Top Down WMR, HMR, .22lr, .22lr Semi

Edited by Dekers

No moderator is going to stop any noise the action may make on a .22lr Semi. There should be no propellant noise from the action, despite what it may appear, the bullet and all but a tiny amount of energy has gone out the front of the barrel before your action cycles, spent gases should not be blasting out of your breech!

As you can see I run SAK on most of mine, including the semi at the bottom, and when the second Sirocco dies on the HMR that will get a SAK as well.

attachicon.gif030b.jpg

Top Down WMR, HMR, .22lr, .22lr Semi

just a thought , nice collection though

thats what I need , think I will clean my PH first and go from there

Certainly worth a good clean of the PH, but be careful, taking apart (if you can), and re-assembly, the insides are commonly in kit form!

I have a Sako as well, had one on my last WMR and bought a new one when I got my latest WMR, nothing wrong with them, but also no advantage on a .22lr using subs either, they are also much longer and approx. £20 more than a SAK.

post-20848-0-97035000-1398981567_thumb.jpg

Sako Sirocco SAK

Edited by Dekers

I've used Parker Hale's for years and what happens is that they clagg up with powder reside and dont silence as well as they did. Its easy to clean them out unless they have really got stuck. >> Unscrew the endcap (CAREFULLY) because the threads are fairly fine and start to remove the baffles. They get covered in a fairly hard residue like the chalk in a kettle. Gently tap the outer wall to shock the baffles out. You can soak the whole lot in hot soapy water if you like. It might take a bit of perseverance to get them all out but dont beat it or force rods into the end to beat the baffles out or you will damage them. If & when you get them all out you can remove the shale with a wire brush or knife. The silencer came with a bit of rod that you reassemble the bits on to reinstallthe baffles back into the tube. I hope that this is useful info for you and helps people to save a bit of money.

This is the inner parts of a Parker Hale silencer.

Be carefull when re screwing the end cap as it is a fine thread and easy to cross thread or get scrawled up. use grease or copper slip to help it.

117_1753.jpg

Edited by fortune

I've used Parker Hale's for years and what happens is that they clagg up with powder reside and dont silence as well as they did. Its easy to clean them out unless they have really got stuck. >> Unscrew the endcap (CAREFULLY) because the threads are fairly fine and start to remove the baffles. They get covered in a fairly hard residue like the chalk in a kettle. Gently tap the outer wall to shock the baffles out. You can soak the whole lot in hot soapy water if you like. It might take a bit of perseverance to get them all out but dont beat it or force rods into the end to beat the baffles out or you will damage them. If & when you get them all out you can remove the shale with a wire brush or knife. The silencer came with a bit of rod that you reassemble the bits on to reinstallthe baffles back into the tube. I hope that this is useful info for you and helps people to save a bit of money.

This is the inner parts of a Parker Hale silencer.

Be carefull when re screwing the end cap as it is a fine thread and easy to cross thread or get scrawled up. use grease or copper slip to help it.

117_1753.jpg

Hi just opened mine and you have described exactly what I found thick chalky deposits (more than a teaspoon full) cleaned with a s/s wire brush and screwdriver. will test it out tomorrow, thanks for that

i now have a sak on my .22s,but there is a video on you tube somewhere and the best result by far was an ase utra,but it is £85

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/accessories/sound-moderators-for-22-rimfires-7960

This review goes back to 2007, it may be of some use but is obviously not up to date, does anyone know of a more recent review?

I use a parker hale it should be listed as an ancient artefact but it does as good a job as any muzzle mounted .22 can made today IMO. A semi auto can be made real silent but strangely its done with HV like the cci mini mag barrel porting and full length can (the bullet actually leaves the muzzle at 900 ft per second so it is hence subsonic at that point. all you will hear is the click clack of the action. If you doubt this search u -tube for ONiellOPS and his review of the latest US special forces moderated pistol, there is some pretty handy gun work demonstrated at the same time BTW.

I use a parker hale it should be listed as an ancient artefact but it does as good a job as any muzzle mounted .22 can made today IMO. A semi auto can be made real silent but strangely its done with HV like the cci mini mag barrel porting and full length can (the bullet actually leaves the muzzle at 900 ft per second so it is hence subsonic at that point. all you will hear is the click clack of the action. If you doubt this search u -tube for ONiellOPS and his review of the latest US special forces moderated pistol, there is some pretty handy gun work demonstrated at the same time BTW.

now thats expensive!! did try a 410 hushpower from Biggin Hill gunshop once , amazing

Well its cleaned out now , tried a couple of shots I can hear the breach clicking and doing its thing, defernately better will try more when out hunting next week

thanks for the help and advice , I will see how it goes before considering a sak or sako