red kite coventry

camokid

Sunday i spotted my first local red kite as i was driving back from the park .. it was in Brandon nr Coventry about five mile from my house..

and to make things even better i spotted the same bird yesterday above my house getting mobbed by crows.. i watched it for a good five minuets with the binos... it has missing feathers on its right wing

made my day ..any one els spot them regular...

I can see about 30 a day if I look up but then I do live in High Wycombe... :) (Current record being 42 following a plough round a field up by Churchill's shooting ground).

As Pegasus says, if you look up as you go through the Stokenchurch gap, you can often see over twenty. To be honest, I'm always surprised that I don't see them that often further afield in the Midlands / South East, given the population density round here.

They're shifting out. I have seen two in Essex now. One near White Roding and the other near Great Leighs.

I see one or two quiet regularly alongside the M25 at the junction with the A1.

I can see about 30 a day if I look up but then I do live in High Wycombe... :) (Current record being 42 following a plough round a field up by Churchill's shooting ground).

As Pegasus says, if you look up as you go through the Stokenchurch gap, you can often see over twenty. To be honest, I'm always surprised that I don't see them that often further afield in the Midlands / South East, given the population density round here.

Edited by Penelope

They're shifting out. I have seen two in Essex now. One near White Roding and the other near Great Leighs.

I see one or two quiet regularly alongside the M25 at the junction with the A1.

I watched one trying (and failing) to pick up a roadkill hen pheasant on a road just outside Billericay this lunchtime.

Until today, the closest I'd seen them was around the M11/M25 junction area.

Edited by otherwayup

When I travel down to London for work I always keep an eye out for them on the M40 by Stokenchurch, wonderful to see.

Did see one not too far from where I live a couple of years ago, will be nice if they are making a comeback in this area too.

They will moult and grow new feathers every year.

I live in High Wycombe to its great to see the kites gliding around the skies. I think the missing feathers on the wings were done by the guys who introduced the birds in order to identify them

about 9 years ago i seen 8 on the m40 stretch and last year on the way to a stalk near Oxford one swooped across the rd in front of me ..it was a real treat to see one above my house i new it was just a matter of time before they began to move into the area they really are a stunning big powerful bird ..

i was a bit gutted to see 8 at once i would have much preferred to see one like a did the other day i think it took the thrill away for my first sighting

thanks for all the comments it looks like they are really thriving in Briton and soon becoming a conmen sight in areas

Edited by camokid

Sunday i spotted my first local red kite as i was driving back from the park .. it was in Brandon nr Coventry about five mile from my house..

and to make things even better i spotted the same bird yesterday above my house getting mobbed by crows.. i watched it for a good five minuets with the binos... it has missing feathers on its right wing

made my day ..any one els spot them regular...

I'm not a million miles from were you spotted your bird.

I was sat in my back garden last year, a lovely day, when I spotted something in the sky, I thought it was a Buzzard at 1st glance but when I got my binoculars

out on closer inspection their were two red kites circling the sky's above..

this amazed me because of the area I live, most defiantly urban although only a couple of miles from rural country side.

mind you after letting it sink in for a while, I the thought of the story I was reading about peregrine falcons nesting in the spire of Coventry cathedral

plenty of food feral pigeons in the city centre

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DB10HcjePyjg&ei=NeVpU6OOIKX40gWbkIGgCg&usg=AFQjCNELlF51mjjk4XTBtNB_01yPoVXfsg

Red Kites are abundant in Mid-Wales, but are slowly heading down to the South Wales Valleys. I've seen at least 3 different ones in the past few months. A magnificent bird!

There's a place on the A44 about 8 miles inland from Aberystwyth where they breed them. Every day at 3 they feed them and dozens fly in, a fantastic sight!