going to look at a landrover today help needed

Hi lads cut a long story short my ford ranger is not what I want now as I think I'm going to start "pay and play " days . So basically iv found this

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/261481339238?nav=SEARCH

Its local to me and it is a very potential buy .

Any help needed on what to look for noises . Common faults . I would appreciate if any one could take the time to read the eBay listing and see what you think . Thanks lads . P.s I'm going to try and view around 1pm today . Thanks

All lands that look like that have been hammered really and discos are cheep for a reason if a Landy is the way you are defiantly going then I would go for a clean 90 that's not been messed with to much put some mud terrains on and it will go anywhere and hold it's money

I do not think that I would buy anything that has been used off road your best buy would be to look out for a good one that has been used to to do the shopping and take the kids to school then you can mod it as you choose but if you are after something ready to go then go for it but be ready to fix stuff when it goes wrong.

P/S do not forget that you have to tell the insurance people about all of the mods so that could well push up the price.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Fair enough . I was weighing up all the extras plus actually scrapping the truck . I reckon there's a £1000 is reselable stuff . Inc private plate . Look if you lot stay well clear I will take your advise . Any Jody know of any landys for sale around the 1500£ Mark ? Disco or defender . Like iv said the ranger is too expensive to ruin off road . And a lax I went out with yesterday had a disco and it drove really well .

Fair enough . I was weighing up all the extras plus actually scrapping the truck . I reckon there's a £1000 is reselable stuff . Inc private plate . Look if you lot stay well clear I will take your advise . Any Jody know of any landys for sale around the 1500£ Mark ? Disco or defender . Like iv said the ranger is too expensive to ruin off road . And a lax I went out with yesterday had a disco and it drove really well .

You'd have to be very very lucky to get a decent defender for £1500.

If you are looking for something as good as a landrover off road for half of the price you could try one of these 4ltr engine running on mostly lpg at 70p per ltr with some good AT OR MUD tyres and some longer springs they will go anywhere and most of all very quickly I should now as I have one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-1998-4-0-Petrol-LPG-Injection-/121342969599?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c409ac6ff

P/S 1998 was the best year later ones can have some isues with cracking cylender heads and to much electronics to play up.

Oh if you are woried about potholes have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQjD0hR65o

I wouldn't touch that landy with a bargepole.

You say that the Ranger is expensive to run ... I've got some bad news for you. I used to run Defenders (110s) in the building industry. 25-27mpg. And that was when they were 1 or 2 years old. If you're buying one for £1500, then basically it's knackered, all parts worn out. When it is running, you'll be getting 20mpg, if you're lucky.

But that doesn't matter, because...

Most of the time, it won't be running ... it'll be costing you a fortune to fix. Entire weekends will disappear, not blatting around some great off-road routes, but cursing it as you skin your knuckles (again), trying to remove some nut that has been in place for 20 years, and has rusted itself to the chassis. And then, when you finally get that bit off, you find that there's an area of chassis closeby that has all the structural strength of cheese (brie, not cheddar)

That is the reality of buying a really cheap landy.

Edited by robbiep

Disco 1 have a bad reputation for chassis corrosion. I know, I had an ES 300 tdi. Cracking engine, **** chassis. Good examples can be found but they are as rare as rocking horse doodah.

I would never buy anything such as this without a really thorough going over with someone who knew what they were looking for. Save your money is my advice.

My old man had a 4yr oldJeep, I never had a look at the body work under but when I parked my 20year hilux surf next to it and compared the condition of the running gear it was truly awe full on the Jeep, the metal grade must have been the cheapest around (or was it made of cheese instead?) as the corrosion was rampant, big 20mm nuts corroded to a stage you could barely get a socket on them, threads completely gone, big chunks of rust falling away etc etc.... the hilux however was/is barely touched by rust and its 16yrs older.

Oh and the rest of the Hilux is good too, every MOT the guy says he cant believe these old toyota trucks keep coming in and going out year upon year without any change....

With a £1500 budget i would not buy anything that has Land Rover written on it, unless its just a weekend toy, expect serious rust, major oil leaks, and if you can not see oil leaks it will have all ready run dry and dusted over. Sorry but like a lot of people i have been there and regretted it.

I agree with leave it alone, most Landrovers have been used and abused from new that's why farmers buy them I am sure if they bought other makes and used them the same they would be in the same state as older landrovers.

If you really want a Landrover save your money and buy one that someone has spent the money on

My old man had a 4yr oldJeep, I never had a look at the body work under but when I parked my 20year hilux surf next to it and compared the condition of the running gear it was truly awe full on the Jeep, the metal grade must have been the cheapest around (or was it made of cheese instead?) as the corrosion was rampant, big 20mm nuts corroded to a stage you could barely get a socket on them, threads completely gone, big chunks of rust falling away etc etc.... the hilux however was/is barely touched by rust and its 16yrs older.

Oh and the rest of the Hilux is good too, every MOT the guy says he cant believe these old toyota trucks keep coming in and going out year upon year without any change....

If you was to look around no doubt one could find a bad/rusty car/truck even a Hilux but the point that I was making is it is hard to find a good rust free Land Rover that is not to say that there are not some about.

I bet that if you was to put my 14year old XJ next to your Hilux there would be more rust on it than on my Jeep.

Get an old vitara for £500 and stick some extra's on it and jobs a goodun. Youtube it and you'll see plenty of them making good progress in some pretty difficult places. Or a Fourtrak (But harder to find at the moment).

I am with you that vitaras are good off road with some good tyres I got rid of the one that I had as I found for a 1600 the fuel consumption was not good about 28mpg perhaps if you could find a diesel it may be better my 4ltr jeep running on lpg and doing about 15mpg on it at 70p a ltr was cheaper to run and much more fun.

With a £1500 budget i would not buy anything that has Land Rover written on it, unless its just a weekend toy, expect serious rust, major oil leaks, and if you can not see oil leaks it will have all ready run dry and dusted over. Sorry but like a lot of people i have been there and regretted it.

Hmm not all , I brought my 96 300 tdi fior under that budget only had two owners from new , had bit of rust on rear arches but had that well sorted they look like new now ,

The truck drives well and if your handy with a spanner then **** it why not , absolutely superb off road and got to be the most comfy motor Iv owned

Just picked up at 1993 200tdi dark green disco . On a "k". Reg . 113k Miles done less than 10k in 5 years so m.o.t sheet says . New disk and pads on front

Has 4 good road tyres so guessing not done any off roading recently . Had both rear arches already done has 2 tiny holes in sill . 1 front arch needs 're welding . For m.o.t . Timing belt needs doing as is quite loud . 4month m.o.t 3 month tax . Worse thing is bit of crunching as you go into 2nd and needs brakes bleedigng as spongy . I gave £675 for it . What do you think overall in really good condition . Now the mods begin

I'll make a terrible prediction. It will end in tears.

Sorry. But it's 21 years old. And, to be honest, Discos from the early 90s were terrible when they were new. I ran them on the sites on occasion (usually when Defenders were off the road, and I got given one as a loaner)