Cracking Morning at the carboot

wingnut

Just had one of my best days at a carboot for a long time, its not one I have been to before- I found it by accident when I took a wrong turn in Hucknall this morning, so I went in and within a very short space of time managed to pick up a brand

new set of electronic ear defenders, a new large wychwood carp holdall 2 x Carp rods and rod bag, A large 6 cell Maglite torch, a camo baseball cap, and a brand new Viper tactical vest in black --- grand total of £25.00

This afternoon I am going to collect some more bits from the guy I got the rods from, 2 bivvies' for carp fishing, a browning feeder rod, browning float rod, a fox 60 inch umbrella, a fox bed chair and other assorted bits of fishing kit.£50.00

Absolute Billy bargains.

Any one else had a good day at the boot sales today?

As many of you may know I collect wrist watches, my late Father got me interested in it. The best purchase I ever made was at a car boot sale at Fakenham Racecourse in 1997.

This chap had several watches in a box and he wanted £40 for the lot. They were pretty nondescript and generally worthless collection of 60,s and 70,s time pieces but one caught my eye so I bought the lot on a hunch.

The watch in question was a 1940,s A Lange & Sohne, Luftwaffe navigators watch. (I didn’t know this at the time) The crystal was tatty and the case badly scratched but I fitted a new crystal (£2.25) and polished the case with my Dremmel and bobs your uncle….£1200 - 1500 quid’s worth in 2000. Bargain.

Just out of curiosity I went to the Allington Lane mid-week one in Southampton a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the stuff for sale I'd be ashamed to be seen taking to the tip. Most of the buyers certainly weren't native British, many didn't even bother to speak English.

Certainly no tools or other blokish things you used to find years ago.

SWMBO wants to get rid of a load of our old stuff at one, for the effort and what people will pay, I'd rather just take it all to the tip or charity shops.

As many of you may know I collect wrist watches, my late Father got me interested in it. The best purchase I ever made was at a car boot sale at Fakenham Racecourse in 1997.

This chap had several watches in a box and he wanted £40 for the lot. They were pretty nondescript and generally worthless collection of 60,s and 70,s time pieces but one caught my eye so I bought the lot on a hunch.

The watch in question was a 1940,s A Lange & Sohne, Luftwaffe navigators watch. (I didn’t know this at the time) The crystal was tatty and the case badly scratched but I fitted a new crystal (£2.25) and polished the case with my Dremmel and bobs your uncle….£1200 - 1500 quid’s worth in 2000. Bargain.

Hi Mike

I've collected watches for around 40 years and have had many good finds at the bootsales but your L&S is head and shoulder above anything that i've ever found, I did have a 1965 Breitling Navitimer given me for free though!!

1b2.jpg

I've been offered £1,500 for the Navitimer but wouldn't sell it!

It had been dropped and all the stopwatch hands came off their shafts, the crystal also cracked, I sent it off to Right Time watch repairs (Steve Burrage) in Leicester, he replaced all for £28+ return postage :yahoo:

Here's around half of my collection :innocent:

InoU7e8.jpg

Cheers, John :)

Hi Mike

I've collected watches for around 40 years and have had many good finds at the bootsales but your L&S is head and shoulder above anything that i've ever found, I did have a 1965 Breitling Navitimer given me for free though!!

1b2.jpg

It had been dropped and all the stopwatch hands came off their shafts, the crystal also cracked, I sent it off to Right Time watch repairs (Steve Burrage) in Leicester, he replaced all for £28+ return postage :yahoo:

InoU7e8.jpg

Chuffing hell!

Hi Mike

1b2.jpg

InoU7e8.jpg

Bloody hell ! You would enjoy yourself down the Burlington Arcade. Had a saunter through it yesterday and there are a couple of shops you would like,including one dealing in secondhand watches. Some very nice Rolex from the 1920's and 30's in there.

Hi Mike

1b2.jpg

InoU7e8.jpg

Crikey John...that's amazing..

My dad had a collection of some 1500 collected over 65 years...he died 18 months ago and I kept a couple of the interesting ones. But he did have a fair few quality Marques, Longines, Patek, Vacheron, IWC etc.

He always knew that when he went they would top up Mums legacy and instructed the collection to be Auctioned... The whole lot raised just short of a 6 figure sum which will allow mum to live comfortably for her remaining days .