.17 hmr 'vs' .22 lr

Duckman91

I have got permission on a beef farm for rabbits and foxes. at the moment I'm using a Daysate x2 .22 air rifle for rabbits and I've got a shotgun for foxes which I haven't used yet. I'm goin to put in for my section 1 and want to know the pros and cons from people's experience of .17 and .22

cheers

Hi Duckman.

You may be better off with a .17 Rem. more so if your ground is stony. Also one can reload the Rem. I have a good friend who I trust who loads mine. I have a .17 HMR but the Rem. is what I prefer. Price of hand loads about the same price. and can vary the velocity using his chrono set up. I use a Tika 595 great rifle

Haha this will cause an endless debate,

I have both as I don't have a centre fire and don't shoot anything bigger than fox, west sussex condition the hmr for fox. Possibly to limit the number of people asking for smaller centre fire?

Both do have their place in my opinion in a situation like mine, 22 for shorter range small game or when shooting at night (quiet) and the hmr for pushing the distance out during the day for me as it goes with quite a crack even moderated. Then it can be used on fox at sensible ranges.

As has been discussed here before if you are going for a small centre fire this will pretty much totally negate the need for the hmr, you'd have the small centre fire for foxes and bunnies at longer ranges then the 22 for shorter ranges and night use when noise might be an issue.

I can't search for a related topic as my keywords ie .17 hmr or .22 lr are too shot and my search gets rejected.

I think I want a .17 hmr due to the level trajectory but there is quite a few houses and a main road near my permission soo think the noise will be a factor but the ground is stoney in places and I have read that .22lr are prone to ricochet and with the road and houses close I'm not sure it would be safe. maybe I should stick to air rifle and get a fac air rifle???

Edited by Duckman91

Duckman - I often find it hard to search properly on here but there are plenty of threads (even recently) about this classic 'starting out' question if you have a moment to trawl through.

Just to keep it simple....

FAC air will cost you as much, and require the same effort to acquire, as a rifle, but you won't be able to hunt any new species. Keep the Daystate for bunnies and good fieldcraft and go rifle.

If you can only get one gun get an HMR .......BUT APPLY FOR BOTH calibres and have good reason, this costs no more and keeps later options open.

A (an?) HMR is humane for fox with appropriate shot placement out to about 75yds. They key here is shot placement-be restrained in the shots you take...he'll be back same time tomorrow.

An HMR is fine for disfiguring bunnies and outraging jackdaws (have a word with your farmer about controlling these for the sake of his bales/soya feed piles/ silage sheeting)

A moderated HMR is NOT really noisy (and decent mods for this are not expensive either). There is a whip crack but those indoors (unless you're in their garden!!) will not be bothered by it...especially on a farm of what 150 acres plus? Notwithstanding safety, discretion, firearms competence and every shot being a dynamic risk assessment.

Unless you are rock steady I would say DON'T shoot foxes off sticks with an HMR, following up a very miserable gut shot fox is a sad affair.

Suggestions - 18" barrel crowned and threaded for say a SAK mod (mod is £35-ish)

SAKO quad

CZ 452/455 (no one was ever sacked for buying IBM)

Weihrauch 60/66

up to an 8 or 10x scope with nice big objective for later evenings - I'd spend a bit more than on something like a sub £200 Hawke to get better light transmission. Nikon are good mid range.

Wicked little Cluson red LED torch with gunmount.

Have fun and post a picture of your new acquisition on here and successful pest control endeavours!

I can't search for a related topic as my keywords ie .17 hmr or .22 lr are too shot and my search gets rejected.

Try instead searching this forum via your search engine. I used google with ".17 hmr vs 22lr pigeonwatch" and a lot of results came up. If you click on the "More results from forums pigeonwatch.co.uk" tag you should have pages of results come up.

HTH

Tom

Im interested in this as on one of my farms has asked if I would deal with his rabbits and as iv'e been going to get a rifle for some time as more and more of the farms I shoot keep asking for rabbit control will have to get on with it .

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

I'm curious, what are you shooting at all these farms at the moment?

Everyone needs a .22 lr :good:

:yes::yes::yes:

I'd suggest that is almost certainly correct for anyone involved in any pest control. I use all my calibres, but jobs keep cropping up where the .22lr is the tool of choice.

But the HMR and many other calibres also have a use and a place!

For me, and I suspect many others, it isn't .22lr or HMR, it is both........ and a good few other calibres as well!

Edited by Dekers

I would sell my HMR before my 22lr.

Same here Daf :yes: Good for 100 yds, quieter than the HMR therefore more discreet in sensitive areas, no cleaning issues, 1/3 the cost to feed, more ammo choices, can use cheaper moderators, the list is endless. :yes::good:

Edited by turbo33

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

I'm curious, what are you shooting at all these farms at the moment?

Mainly pigeons and crows for crop protection . have tried to pass the rabbit control on but everyone I've put on to it never seem to keep on top of them, so I will have to do it myself .Wildfowling is my main passion and you can't do everything, well so my wife says even though I do try.

:yes::yes::yes:

I'd suggest that is almost certainly correct for anyone involved in any pest control. I use all my calibres, but jobs keep cropping up where the .22lr is the tool of choice.

But the HMR and many other calibres also have a use and a place!

For me, and I suspect many others, it isn't .22lr or HMR, it is both........ and a good few other calibres as well!

Well yes but the HMR can be replaced very effectively with a small centrefire, you cannot replace the .22 lr its unique

I had a .22lr but only kept it 3 months.

Rimfire I would go HMR, if I needed less power/ noise then I would reach for my .22 FAC Air or sub 12 air .177 air rifle!

Any fox requirement I have is done with shotgun or HMR as HMR is licensed for fox in West Mecia !