What do I go for?

lloydi73

Right, submitted all paperwork for my FAC so thought I'd go tease myself at gunshop yesterday and eye up some potential rifles.....

17 HMR it's between Browning and CZ455 varmintTH, but I think the CZ is gonna win

However, on 243, I'm stuck between Remingtin and Tikka T3.....Tikka is twice the price, but again, I am leaning towards Tikka....

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome

Edited by lloydi73

I'd look for a cz452 in 22lr I own a varmint but the American is the better design. As for the .243 the tikka will be better out the box but you can get all sorts of extras to improve the rem700 and probably end up with a better gun for less money and it will be custom to how you want it. I guess it depends on if your a tinkerer or not. I'd go for the rem for that reason.

Right, submitted all paperwork for my FAC so thought I'd go tease myself at gunship yesterday and eye up some potential rifles.....

17 HMR it's between Browning and CZ455 varmintTH, but I think the CZ is gonna win

However, on 243, I'm stuck between Remingtin and Tikka T3.....Tikka is twice the price, but again, I am leaning towards Tikka....

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome

Like for like (or as close to like for like as you can get) Tikka isn't twice the price of Remington, although they are more! I suspect this simply comes down to the models your RFD has in stock. :good:

CZ for the .22 and the .17hmr, if you are looking for a Remington 700 in .243 check the trigger. If the trigger has a ribbed effect you will be ok, if the trigger is smooth you need to check the serial number on this website, "xmprecall.remington.com", some Remington 700 and 7 series have a trigger fault that can lead to an accidental discharge and they are being recalled to Riflecraft to be fixed. ATB.

Personally my choice of rf would be CZ. Wouldn't part with mine. Had a Remington 700 BDL and while it was a lovely rifle I now have a T3 Varmint and wouldn't go back to Remington or any other rifle without a detachable magazine. You can buy the conversion of course for the Remi'.

The only thing I don't like about the T3's synthetic stock is the cast marks, including the sprue, but that's only cosmetics.

I have a rem 700 BDL and a tikka t3 lite and without question I would go for the Tikka. With the Tikka i took it out of the box and shot very accurately with it but with the rem 700 I have added a trigger kit and had the the barrel floated and re crowned and the action bedded and I am still not happy with it.

Well I have a CZ 455 in 22lr and I think that's a great rifle for the money, also have an old CZ 600 rifle, a bargin rifle that does the business if I do my bit so I would think about a CZ for the 243. Just my opinion but worth a look..good luck with your search and enjoy.

I have a rem 700 BDL and a tikka t3 lite and without question I would go for the Tikka. With the Tikka i took it out of the box and shot very accurately with it but with the rem 700 I have added a trigger kit and had the the barrel floated and re crowned and the action bedded and I am still not happy with it.

Had the same problem with 700sps in 243, wouldn't group so after playing with a few scopes changed trigger, stock for a Hogue alley bedded one, shortened and recrowned barrel but never happy with it. Bought a Tikka, great trigger and shoots very well without changing a thing

Had the same problem with 700sps in 243, wouldn't group so after playing with a few scopes changed trigger, stock for a Hogue alley bedded one, shortened and recrowned barrel but never happy with it. Bought a Tikka, great trigger and shoots very well without changing a thing

My 700 wouldn't group anything other than 100grn. Although it worked very well with those. The T3 will group anything I put through it.

I speak as I find, and from experiences around me I know to be true.

Remington are OK, mine is a 700SPS Stainless out of the box, other than about 3" off the barrel, it is the original useless plastic stock so many moan about, it delivers 1" with cheap PRVI.

I also have 2 x Tikkas and was warned by several not to go Remington after the Tikkas as I would be disappointed, I'm not, it is as accurate as the Tikkas, and cheaper.

I'm happy, that is my experience, and many other Remington owners experiences, I'm also happy with my Tikkas, they all shoot, and at the end of the day that is all that concerns me!

:good: