Rouging

raphael262

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true about switching off and getting on with it. Better being out doing that than sweeping out the grain stores I found. It was pronounced ' rogue-ing' as in rogue wild oats or rye grass in wheat. It is a carp job, but leads to better things. The farmer I worked for did it to all harvest guys to weed out the lazy and feckless, before the start of the harvest.

Many years ago when I was a student I did rogueing for weeks on end;I loved the job,we used to work in gangs all aged under twenty five or so and had a right laugh.For a student the wages were really good and tax free.Money,a sun tan and wall to wall ****,what more could you want at that age.I was heart broken when the farmer took me off and put me on another job.

nowt to do with crops, roughing is when farmer takes you into his barn and lets you pull his stock until the seeds come out! have fun :good::good::lol::lol:

That brings back the memories, mainly blurt slightly other-worldly memories as you tend to loose you mind by the end of the season.

Sometimes post timings are unfortunate. ;-)

Many years ago when I was a student I did rogueing for weeks on end;I loved the job,we used to work in gangs all aged under twenty five or so and had a right laugh.For a student the wages were really good and tax free.Money,a sun tan and wall to wall ****,what more could you want at that age.I was heart broken when the farmer took me off and put me on another job.

These days you need to be fluent in Polish, Latvia, Bulgarian etc etc

Probably bail-carting, you will earn your money there!

I remember bail carting all day in the roasting heat and then having the nicest pint old cold beer I have ever had.......followed by another, and another and a few more until I had nothing to show for the aches, sunburn and scratches - except a huge hangover. Aahh, happy days.

Rouging? I'd guess there are different regional terms for it. Sounds like what a mate and I did on a farm in the summer holidays when we were 15 although I recall it being called fat heading or henning? Monotonous work, but you find things to take your mind off it like when we found some 16 bore pin fire cartridges in the farm workshop.... :rolleyes:

Tom

Rouging? I'd guess there are different regional terms for it. Sounds like what a mate and I did on a farm in the summer holidays when we were 15 although I recall it being called fat heading or henning? Monotonous work, but you find things to take your mind off it like when we found some 16 bore pin fire cartridges in the farm workshop.... :rolleyes:

Tom

Fat hen.../ henning....weed found in sugar beet field.....you can eat it

Yep, come to think about it, it was a sugar beet field. Thanks Ditchman.

Now this shows im really sad............fat hen was a staple food way back when pre-saxon times...it has been found in the stomach of a couple of bog corpses.....i might wait and see if any comes up this year and cut the flowering tops off and steam them...see whats it like.....proberly end up in the bog as well.....

Now this shows im really sad............fat hen was a staple food way back when pre-saxon times...it has been found in the stomach of a couple of bog corpses.....i might wait and see if any comes up this year and cut the flowering tops off and steam them...see whats it like.....proberly end up in the bog as well.....

That isn't sad, it's the opposite! Sad is only eating supermarket food and not trying anything new or old in this case. :good:

That isn't sad, it's the opposite! Sad is only eating supermarket food and not trying anything new or old in this case. :good:

Absolutely !!! There are loads of edible plants that we have forgotten about in our rush to eat veg from Israel, Portugal etc., etc.