I'm assuming this is ******?

northernneil

HDAV. All they need is chokes everything else is fitted ready to go on an action. Ejector timing maybe slightly out but easy enough to fix.

That's good otherwise before sending anywhere the ejectors springs etc would need stripping out to be fitted to the replacements and possibly a lot more work.

Might be worth sending pics to BASC and proof house to see if they can shed any light but I think those tubes are destined for the furnace.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see any point or purpsose in contacting GMK or Beretta directly. No one can possibly accept any liability for a problem like this on a 25 year old gun with an unknown history. For all anyone knows it could have been run over in a field leaving no obvious damage, and before you scoff I've seen it happen.

It's an old gun with a cracked chamber, it may or may not be economical to repair, only you can decide, but you'll get nowhere trying to get the manufacturer to take any responsibilty or bear any part of the costs.

That's good otherwise before sending anywhere the ejectors springs etc would need stripping out to be fitted to the replacements and possibly a lot more work.

Might be worth sending pics to BASC and proof house to see if they can shed any light but I think those tubes are destined for the furnace.

I would keep any ejector parts if you do send it away especially to a big firm.

I can't see any point or purpsose in contacting GMK or Beretta directly. No one can possibly accept any liability for a problem like this on a 25 year old gun with an unknown history. For all anyone knows it could have been run over in a field leaving no obvious damage, and before you scoff I've seen it happen.

It's an old gun with a cracked chamber, it may or may not be economical to repair, only you can decide, but you'll get nowhere trying to get the manufacturer to take any responsibilty or bear any part of the costs.

I tend to agree but what's the worst they can say "not our problem". The best "very sorry shouldn't have happened here's a new gun"

To me this needs inspecting.if there is no damage on the outside. There could be other barrels out there from the same batch, that are just waiting to go the same way as these barrels, i am very sorry to hear of your trouble, but that steel need checking for hardness test.

Just a thought, but there is a Beretta showroom in London (The Beretta Gallery?). Is this really Beretta - or GMK wearing a Beretta badge?

I dealt with then a few years ago (over a book) and got the impression they were Beretta, but not 100% sure. Can't see them being able to help other than possibly pass photos back to Italy

No sir....this is not an old gun, my 1930 made sxs is getting on a bit but this one is not old, driving over old or young guns does not crack chambers and just what kind of abuse do you imagine or assume even to of caused this?

I really do not understand some folks rationalisation sometimes! Short of demolition charges being set of in there nothing should crack a chamber!

No sir....this is not an old gun, my 1930 made sxs is getting on a bit but this one is not old, driving over old or young guns does not crack chambers and just what kind of abuse do you imagine or assume even to of caused this?

I really do not understand some folks rationalisation sometimes! Short of demolition charges being set of in there nothing should crack a chamber!

And I don't understand your relentless need to blame Beretta regardless of other considerations. I'm well aware that that there are really old guns out there still working happily but there are also some not so old guns that have been trashed by abuse or damage.

Since the 'crack' on this gun's cone doesn't appear to go right through the wall it might not be a fault in the steel or the steel process at all. 10:1 it isn't fleur de lys proved and maybe someone has shot HP steel through it.

The fact is you just don't know and nor do I, but ask yourself this: How many times have you come across structural failure with Beretta barrels? I'll take a guess it's about the same number of times thatI've come across it.

The OP will be wasting his time & money trying to get anything out of Beretta - and it would be the same story with aevery other maker.

And I don't understand your relentless need to blame Beretta regardless of other considerations. I'm well aware that that there are really old guns out there still working happily but there are also some not so old guns that have been trashed by abuse or damage.

Since the 'crack' on this gun's cone doesn't appear to go right through the wall it might not be a fault in the steel or the steel process at all. 10:1 it isn't fleur de lys proved and maybe someone has shot HP steel through it.

The fact is you just don't know and nor do I, but ask yourself this: How many times have you come across structural failure with Beretta barrels? I'll take a guess it's about the same number of times thatI've come across it.

The OP will be wasting his time & money trying to get anything out of Beretta - and it would be the same story with aevery other maker.

Relentless need!

I don't need to relentlessly blame anyone sir, no hidden agendas here sir or vendettas.

You assume what you wish over what maybe of fired through that gun sir however in my world barrels cracking, fracturing is wrong and always will be. With one exception though!

As in when a blockage has caused the barrel to burst, usually burst to destruction from very very high pressure with a considerable amount of bulging prior to the burst.

Of which there is no evidence of here.

It is also significant that this crack is where the tube is sweated to the chamber block, if this has been done badly there could be a void where that point has been flexing! Assuming on my part absolutely!

That is why I opined the notion to speak with Beretta.....to give them the opportunity to investigate their product!

At the end of the day and romance aside they are a mass produced CNC made gun and every now and then machines screw up. That coupled with the fact that people make very bad monitors of computers the odd poorly made example could slip through!

U.

We know there is no lifetime warranty. Barrels are safety critical. If my name was Mr Beretta, I'd really want to understand what has gone wrong with this barrel regardless of fault or age etc

Product failure in the field is very valuable info for a manufacturer.

The fact that nobody has been hurt is a big plus to this unfortunate incident.

Beretta I'm sure will want to look at them not sure they will do anything to help the OP.

I was luck whilst doing my Degree my girlfriend doing an MSc the PhD looked at the effect of block shotgun barrels and loading a 20 and 12 in a chamber for RMCS and BASC. To me it was very interesting I spent longer helping her than doing my own stuff. I saw lots of failed barrels some catastrophic and other more like this.

If the damage was not obvious from the outside she decided to refire with normal cartridges until they bust some took quite a few extra goes. Unfortunately she was discouraged from extending the paper to cover these areas.

I am not suggesting testing this lab condition are not the field we were safe behind adjourned glass etc and watched on cameras.

Something has gone wrong but the warranty is up Beretta won't help but they would no doubt like a detailed look see.

Told you not to try GMK!

They are a profit making organisation!

That also often implies possibly BS artists!

They are the reason why I would probably never buy another Beretta.

My first shotgun was a Silver Pigeon, but after a few weeks of owning it a crack developed in the stock so I took it to GMK and they tried everything to get out of replacing it.

My first shotgun was a Silver Pigeon, but after a few weeks of owning it a crack developed in the stock so I took it to GMK and they tried everything to get out of replacing it.

The onus in uk law is always the retailer not to do with the distributor or manufacture.

Im starting to think the same , i contacted gmk today regarding my broken 692 AGAIN and its like banging your head against a brick wall , total waste of time and effort

Well this has escalated quicky! Lol.

WW, hopefully I'll be I touch tomorrow, I think I've nearly sweet talked her round. :-)

And for the record gents, I know I'm not going to get anywhere with either GMK or Beretta, however I can promise you that since I've had it, the gun has had nothing bigger than 7.5 28g put through it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Im starting to think the same , i contacted gmk today regarding my broken 692 AGAIN and its like banging your head against a brick wall , total waste of time and effort

They haven't changed then, this was 10 years a go when I had my issue. I was made to wait in a waiting room not much unlike a Drs only to be eventually confronted by a worker who was pretty insistent that they didn't cover wood. It wasn't a great experience and reflected pretty poorly on one of the worlds most famous gun manufacturers.

I wish you the best of luck in getting yours fixed.

Good luck to the OP to by the way, a gun barrel really shouldn't split like that.

yup GMK are not interested,I had an A400,it went back 3 times with the same fault and they insited I was loading it wrong,erm put shell in,press button! but I gave up and sold it(i informed the buyer it had a fault),after 25 years you have 2 chances of a result,both NO.

sometimes you have to just retire the gun.(Ireally hope I'm proved wrong and they replace barrel)

The trouble with this is you have no idea how the previous owners have treated the gun. There are a lot of Beretta users on this forum, my question is how many of you have seen this before? and the same question goes out to Browning and other owners. I've never seen a crack like that before (there's a joke just waiting to happen). For all you know previous owners could have been firing slugs or huge steel loads through it. My two Beretta's are 28 and 29 years old with very frequent use. The 687 has had over 400,000 clay loads put through it and its spotless. Could you tell me the date letters on the barrel as the mid eighties Beretta's are normally bullet proof (pardon the pun)

regards,

Think there is an element were by, some thought not the majority ! ... place Beretta on a pedestal, and frequently take every opportunity to degrade other gun makes ... not long back someone quoted the Beretta as the Rolls Royce of guns. Hatsan boys frequently take a kicking, think they might be thicker skinned ... lol

Edited by hoggysreels