another life ?

islandgun

We've been saving for years now and have accumulated a considerable sum to enable us to move away from South Birmingham, I know the grass isn't always greener but it will be better than the sinking ship I live in Atm so the place for me has to be Cornwall and the time has to be asap which should be by the time 2015 is over

What a question !

I suppose my cryptic answer would be, the right place at the right time to achieve the dream of owning a large estate and farming it successfully..

To answer the question honestly - its not so much a time and a place but of 'understanding'. If I knew then what I know now, really.

Now though my thoughts are Herefordshire or more probably Devon. - moving soon, house sold (I think) where and what next ? Certainly a focus on shooting and fishing and maybe a smallholding - got to get farming in there somewhere.

What a question !

I suppose my cryptic answer would be, the right place at the right time to achieve the dream of owning a large estate and farming it successfully..

To answer the question honestly - its not so much a time and a place but of 'understanding'. If I knew then what I know now, really.

Now though my thoughts are Herefordshire or more probably Devon. - moving soon, house sold (I think) where and what next ? Certainly a focus on shooting and fishing and maybe a smallholding - got to get farming in there somewhere.

Good luck with your move I can recommend crofting ! . Not surprising that farming is a favourite, the reason I chose the 30's was after reading a book in my youth called "Story of a Norfolk farm" set in that time and based on restoring a run down farm on the coast, also the Norfolk of my childhood memories in the 60's is different to the reality of now, Coincidently( perhaps not !) in my youth I also read "I bought a mountain" a story of farming in Snowdonia and another of a family buying an island in the Hebrides both places iv'e lived or live.

Newarcher why Nevada 1870

Edited by islandgun

What a question !

Good luck with your move I can recommend crofting ! . Not surprising that farming is a favourite, the reason I chose the 30's was after reading a book in my youth called "Story of a Norfolk farm" set in that time and based on restoring a run down farm on the coast, also the Norfolk of my childhood memories in the 60's is different to the reality of now, Coincidently( perhaps not !) in my youth I also read "I bought a mountain" a story of farming in Snowdonia and another of a family buying an island in the Hebrides both places iv'e lived or live.

Newarcher why Nevada 1870

When we bought this house, the previous owner (then deceased) owned a cottage in the highlands with some land. He bought loads of books and left them - one was "I bought a mountain", another was about sheep husbandry, a third about a chap who crofted and the economics of taking on a croft - all good reads. He was called Nickolson and started the commandoes with David Stirling.

Another book of his I found was "Mein Campf" in German - Adolf Hiltler.

The locals say he had a skeleton which he used to work out how to kill efficiently and, having finished with it, was going to bury it in the field next to the house but was advised instead to donate it to a teaching hospital. Would have loved to have met him.

Cheers

!2 men formed the Commandoes I'm told ----quote, " 6 of us could ski and 6 could shoot but no-one could do both".

When we bought this house, the previous owner (then deceased) owned a cottage in the highlands with some land. He bought loads of books and left them - one was "I bought a mountain", another was about sheep husbandry, a third about a chap who crofted and the economics of taking on a croft - all good reads. He was called Nickolson and started the commandoes with David Stirling.

Another book of his I found was "Mein Campf" in German - Adolf Hiltler.

The locals say he had a skeleton which he used to work out how to kill efficiently and, having finished with it, was going to bury it in the field next to the house but was advised instead to donate it to a teaching hospital. Would have loved to have met him.

Cheers

!2 men formed the Commandoes I'm told ----quote, " 6 of us could ski and 6 could shoot but no-one could do both".

certainly not both at the same time, when new recruits de- trained at spean bridge they had to run with full kit the 8miles to camp in under 60min if they failed they were sent back, wonder how you would go about burying the unknown skeleton

I love Dorset around the Charmouth & Lyme area. I visit usually 2 or 3 times a year for a week at a time. I stay on the same farm and love it. When I retired we intended to move that way and actually looked at properties. Then the balancing act came along. I also love living where I do and we have the Grand son here. I have lived in South London, wouldn't go back for a kings ransom. Surrey Hampshire borders, quite nice in the seventies but wouldn't want to live there now. South Yorkshire, very nice, but always seamed a bit cold. Lancashire, warmer but always seamed to be raining. Now live in a great village in North Leicestershire, it has everything I want, I have great shooting and fishing available to me on my doorstep and of course my Grandson. So to answer the Question, I'm happy where I am and would not move far away at all.

Boring **** really, but there you go.

New Zealand now!

A big +1 There bullet boy!! And I have to mention Weymouth. A lovely beach, town, and harbour....

As for a time,it would be the 60's. (I'm told life was very care free then). I've read numerous books that happen to have been set during

the 60's, and the same theory seems to be true...

I love Dorset around the Charmouth & Lyme area. I visit usually 2 or 3 times a year for a week at a time. I stay on the same farm and love it. When I retired we intended to move that way and actually looked at properties. Then the balancing act came along. I also love living where I do and we have the Grand son here. I have lived in South London, wouldn't go back for a kings ransom. Surrey Hampshire borders, quite nice in the seventies but wouldn't want to live there now. South Yorkshire, very nice, but always seamed a bit cold. Lancashire, warmer but always seamed to be raining. Now live in a great village in North Leicestershire, it has everything I want, I have great shooting and fishing available to me on my doorstep and of course my Grandson. So to answer the Question, I'm happy where I am and would not move far away at all.

Boring **** really, but there you go.

just come back from a week at west bay,we love it down there too.i'd like a farm about 2 or 3 miles inland thats down a tiny little lane with no passing traffic or footpaths!

Bullet boy Apart from the OP time wise, if I was young now my first choice would be NZ with its brilliant fishing/shooting prospects and room to move Canada for the same reasons, I worked in OZ for a year and loved it, my advice (for what its worth) is go for it mate ASAP.

Jam1e the sixties were great, with a feeling of change friendly women and mind destroying drugs !

Ditchman a saddle? what if her boyfriend borrowed her bike

Edited by islandgun

just come back from a week at west bay,we love it down there too.i'd like a farm about 2 or 3 miles inland thats down a tiny little lane with no passing traffic or footpaths!

That fits exactly the farm I do stay at. Absolute bliss. I'm back down there in two weeks time, can't wait.

Edited by birdsallpl