How Far is Lethal

Hi guys I have just picked up a new rabbi shooting permission. The land owner is anti gun in as far as she is terrified of them but she realises that she has a rabbit problem. She has stipulated that there is to be no shotgun, so air rifle of rimfire only.

She was a little concerned about the rimfire in that it is a "proper bullet!" She asked me how far a bullet from the gun would go and what is the lethal range of it.

So my question to all the technical types:

1. How far will a .22 rimfire round travel?

2. What is the lethal range of the .22 rimfire round?

Hi guys I have just picked up a new rabbi shooting permission. The land owner is anti gun in as far as she is terrified of them but she realises that she has a rabbit problem. She has stipulated that there is to be no shotgun, so air rifle of rimfire only.

She was a little concerned about the rimfire in that it is a "proper bullet!" She asked me how far a bullet from the gun would go and what is the lethal range of it.

So my question to all the technical types:

1. How far will a .22 rimfire round travel?

2. What is the lethal range of the .22 rimfire round?

The bullet will go into your backstop no further in theory, in practice incase you hit an unseen rock etc in the backstop allow a backdrop clear of 400 yards is possibly more than wise so allow 600. a .22 bullet will certainly hold the potential to kill so far as to make no matter if you ignore the above bit.

The question posed is irrelevant unless she is looking for an excuse, an air pistol can kill if you do daft things with it and has

Edited by kent

You haven't described the size and/or nature of the ground. As the lady has reservations and you have had to question the range of a rimfire, one could get the impression that the area is not too big. Sometimes, just sometimes, it is more beneficial for all concerned (even you in the long term) if action is taken to prevent any reservations becoming a problem. If you have any doubts at all about the acreage suitability, then as (from your signature) you do not have one, a recommendation that a suitably powered air rifle would be better and you do know of a responsible, insured friend who is better able to do the work. Job done. One very pleased, happy lady and one chuffed mate. The latter may just reciprocate the invitation and the former may just remember you to other land owners with a similar problem on more suitable land. I think it's called a win win situation.

Obviously, the above is a right load of old squit if you're actually talking about half of Wiltshire.

Is the landowner George Galloway

Sorry I'll get my coat....

On a serious note I would approach this by explaining backstops and safe shots etc, which would make a question about how far will they travel academic.

Yup thats what I did, shes still very wary though, sadly the majority of the rabbits are around the area of her house as opposed to the fields that she owns (good from my perspective as I don't have to walk far!) They've made a right mess of her garden. She doesn't live at the house permanently so I have agreed that I will only shoot that area when shes not in!

You haven't described the size and/or nature of the ground. As the lady has reservations and you have had to question the range of a rimfire, one could get the impression that the area is not too big. Sometimes, just sometimes, it is more beneficial for all concerned (even you in the long term) if action is taken to prevent any reservations becoming a problem. If you have any doubts at all about the acreage suitability, then as (from your signature) you do not have one, a recommendation that a suitably powered air rifle would be better and you do know of a responsible, insured friend who is better able to do the work. Job done. One very pleased, happy lady and one chuffed mate. The latter may just reciprocate the invitation and the former may just remember you to other land owners with a similar problem on more suitable land. I think it's called a win win situation.

Obviously, the above is a right load of old squit if you're actually talking about half of Wiltshire.

The question was,, to start with a bit general (should have read the box) as for the size of the area its about 125 acres but theres a house on the edge where she lives sometimes. She's just wary of any weapon really, I shot one near her house the other night when she was in (about 30 yards from her house) and she never heard a thing!

or 92% of Gloucestershire :yes:

She's just wary of any weapon really, I shot one near her house the other night when she was in (about 30 yards from her house) and she never heard a thing!

IMO you should alleviate her fears and educate her by demonstrating what happens when you pull the trigger

noise is one thing,

ill-informed ideas about "weapons" is another

show her your weapon....you know you want to!

Where I shoot was like that to start with - I just used air gun for a good couple of months and got to know the lady a lot better by chatting, helping her when she was feeding the horses and mucking out etc, offered to go down there and feed them if she couldn't make it (And when she got very ill I actually did and she was ever so thankful) and then I said to her that the rabbits where becoming wise to the air gun and couldn't get close enough and all of the shots NEED to be humane so the rabbits (or rabbi's in your case) don't suffer (Which she gave a nice smile at knowing I cared) and thus I needed to bring the rimfire along, but I would ensure that I had a very safe backstop (And pointed at some ideas to her) and told her I would categorically NOT shoot in certain places or directions (Again pointing them out) and that she was even welcome to be on site whilst I did it.

She was very happy about that and said to carry on.

If it were me and I had a nice piece of land and a nice chap came and said he'd sort my rabbit problem, then I wouldn't mind air gun to start (So I could learn to trust him) and then moving on and upward.

Incidentally, now when she gets new donkeys or horses she asks me to come down and introduce them to gun noises slowly so they are fine too. And if I'm lamping and tell her in advance she'll put reflective coat things on the horses.

If I read this thread correctly there is 1 house,hers in 125 acres..so the noise issue is disturbing her but nobody else?..sounds like air rifle when she is around,rimfire/shotgun when she is away?

Can see your point BUT,

She has said no shotguns,

If you use a shotgun when you think she is away and she unexpectedly turns up then say bye bye to that permission as the trust has gone out of the window.

Have I missed where she said why no shotgun?

For now do as mentioned in a previous post,

Explain what you are doing and show her where you will be shooting and all the safety aspects.

Trust is very hard to gain but can be lost in the blink of an eye

:shaun:

Her issue with shotguns was/is noise according to OP,I was just confused as to whom such noise would disturb.Clearly I was NOT advocating using anything not authorised by the landowner,it just seems to me here that the landowner needs a bit of guidance as to effective rabbit control.