Duck and corvid shooting - Lough Neagh

Big Al

Thanks for all the comments - very much appreciated.

As cjm said, Lough Neagh is entirely in NI. Five of the six counties have a shore on it - it is the largest lake (by area) in the British Isles. It is also relatively shallow,making plenty of habitat for diving and dabbling wildfowl and waders.

That is a pretty tame spot on the pheasant shoot. I'll film another shore which is more exposed next time I'm there. It involves a lot of wading up to your waist to get access to low flat islands (known locally as flats).

The camera is a chilli sports camera. I bought it second hand on the auction site just to give it all a go. It's an older model I think 720 is the highest resolution - it came with a Velcro head strap which I put around my head (and hat!)

I think this is it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005PK5J74?pc_redir=1410585662&robot_redir=1

Good video and the dog working was great to see. I used to shoot the the Lough years ago but only bagged Tufted..... Not great eating. On my first visit i climbed out of the hide to stretch my legs, when I returned a Kestrel flew out of the hide......it had eaten the eyes out of the shot birds left in the hide.

Wow. They don't miss a trick. We were on a flat 3 years ago on the south shore after a spell of heavy rain. We were standing in water and built a platform of driftwood and a pallet for the dogs. As we shot, we wedged the birds in the bushes on the flat.

When we were leaving we found the carcasses chewed and mangled. We looked up and saw the bushes were full of rats that had climbed to escape the flood. Dirty ******* spoiled a few of them. We had to throw away a few. Some had been stashed in my mate's rucksack and they were okay.

cracking spot to watch the sunrise....and nail a few. Good stuff :good:

Thanks. It is a beautiful place here, but we try to keep it to ourselves!

Thanks Kes. I did edit out a few misses as my language got a bit colourful!

Ted (the lab) is only 2 and a bit but is starting his 2nd season. Too much, too soon for the doggie men but my two other dogs are retired and I needed one pronto last year. He has off days too but is shaping up into a good un.

The guy who built that hide only had to carry down two bags of cement - the stones and sand were already on site!