firearms officers...dont you just love em!!!!

millrace

I have relatives and friends in the armed forces.all of them have weapons in their daily lives.we will call it work.they join up for a career.because they want to be patriotic and serve for their country.however only one of them does any shooting outside of the army and he only shoots clays rarely. I can imagine that a man who signs on for armed duties may just see it as a chance to protect society not fulfill his personal interest in guns.

HAVING spent some 35 years in, and working with, the armed forces, as far as I recall everyone I knew/met joined up simply because they needed a job, fancied the life and their given particular trade and were going to get paid.

I would say that anyone who wanted to spend his working life and his private life around guns could be border line obsessive and that could be scary.

I WOULD imagine that that has upset the 'smiths on here.

I own a block of stables yet have no interest in horses.

YOU haven't said whether or not the following is applicable, but do you have any interest in the money that such could possibly bring in?

I have two nephews a son in law brother and soon a grandson that is signing on.as I said earlier all but one have absolutely no interest in shooting outside of the job.the statement was made that an earlier poster found it scary that a member of the armed response of the police had no personal interest.he is trained to do a job and regular checks made on his competence. Why would this be scary that he does not want a gun in his private life.yes perhaps my words could have been a little different as obviously there are people in the gun trade and other associated industry that will have an interest in shooting outside.as for my stables you are quite correct they are only there for an income.I have no interest in the horses just the revenue.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that would include every single RFD I know, and I know a lot, two professional coaches and two coppers I know well; one retired the other still serving. You appear to have an uncanny knack for insulting people; what I can't figure out is whether it's intentional or whether you just don't think.

I don't feel as if I insult anyone.there were a lot of posts earlier on in this topic stating how policemen knew nothing of firearms and the law around them and as I said I have shot with a great many policemen who have a great deal of knowledge.l have a lot of respect for our police forces and the job they do.

point was originally that because a man's job means he is trained to kill with a firearm it does not naturally follow he would have to be interested in them in his private leisure time

I would have thought that was stating the obvious. You don't have to have an interest in something to be good at the job, the firearms officer I deal with has no interest in firearms but knows the laws and does a good job.

Edited by ordnance

I find it a bit strange to be honest.

Nobody's forced to do firearms duties, it's purely voluntary.

I suggest that you try and sign on to the army as long as you do not have to do weapons training.after all a officer in the drug squad or vice squad does not have to be a addict or sex pest.

.the point was originally that because a man's job means he is trained to kill with a firearm it does not naturally follow he would have to be interested in them in his private leisure time.

Totally agree. Equally it doesn't 'follow' that anyone who is interested in guns in and out of work is 'borderline obsessive' or 'scary'.

I would have thought that was stating the obvious. You don't have to have an interest in something to be good at the job, the firearms officer I deal with has no interest in firearms but knows the laws and does a good job.

No I am sorry it is not stating the obvious as a previous poster on here found it scary.

I have two nephews a son in law brother and soon a grandson that is signing on.as I said earlier all but one have absolutely no interest in shooting outside of the job.the statement was made that an earlier poster found it scary that a member of the armed response of the police had no personal interest.he is trained to do a job and regular checks made on his competence. Why would this be scary that he does not want a gun in his private life.yes perhaps my words could have been a little different as obviously there are people in the gun trade and other associated industry that will have an interest in shooting outside.as for my stables you are quite correct they are only there for an income.I have no interest in the horses just the revenue.

You may have got a skewed view from your small sample size and lack of direct personal experience. From mine of more than two decades of military service, I can tell you that lots of soldiers have more than a professional interest in shooting. A much higher percentage than in civilian life. Whether it be volunteering for the Regimental shooting team, informal clay shoots with unit owned shotguns, to competive shooting at international level. I served with stalkers, collectors, game shooters, and loads more. Even those who didn't shoot recreationaly always showed great interest in shooting my 'civvy guns' when I took them on a military range. As a soldier your rifle is an important tool of the trade. I would have been a little mistrustful of any fellow soldier who proffesed to have no interest whatsoever in firearms. And a little surprised. It didn't happen very often. No doubt you'll now tell me in your inimitable way, that I know nothing and you know more about this subject, as with every other it seems. Hey ho :/

You may have got a skewed view from your small sample size and lack of direct personal experience. From mine of more than two decades of military service, I can tell you that lots of soldiers have more than a professional interest in shooting. A much higher percentage than in civilian life. Whether it be volunteering for the Regimental shooting team, informal clay shoots with unit owned shotguns, to competive shooting at international level. I served with stalkers, collectors, game shooters, and loads more. Even those who didn't shoot recreationaly always showed great interest in shooting my 'civvy guns' when I took them on a military range. As a soldier your rifle is an important tool of the trade. I would have been a little mistrustful of any fellow soldier who proffesed to have no interest whatsoever in firearms. And a little surprised. It didn't happen very often. No doubt you'll now tell me in your inimitable way, that I know nothing and you know more about this subject, as with every other it seems. Hey ho :/

I have no intention of telling you anything other than my own personal knowledge.one son in law 22 years and still in has no interest in shooting.will be leaving soon to take up teaching language at schools or college.another who was invalid out after fifteen from Northern Ireland.no interest in shooting. Brothers 20 years out now of course never owned or wanted to own guns.a friend fifteen in the British army then did five in the French legion.and guess what no interest in owning a gun now in civilian life.I am sorry if you find this reply offensive.I cannot help the circumstances. Your experience is obviously different. Is that not just life.

Also I will add I never said all I said some service and police personnel have no interest.

Edited by bostonmick

But you have not said if you find it scary if they don't have any interest outside of work or duty.

I would be mildly surprised to find someone who volunteered for firearms duty as part of their work had no interest in guns outside their work, but wouldn't find it scary. Equally, but unlike you, I wouldn't find it scary, nor consider anyone dangerously obsessive who had an interest in guns both in and out of work.

I have no intention of telling you anything other than my own personal knowledge.one son in law 22 years and still in has no interest in shooting.will be leaving soon to take up teaching language at schools or college.another who was invalid out after fifteen from Northern Ireland.no interest in shooting. Brothers 20 years out now of course never owned or wanted to own guns.a friend fifteen in the British army then did five in the French legion.and guess what no interest in owning a gun now in civilian life.I am sorry if you find this reply offensive.I cannot help the circumstances. Your experience is obviously different. Is that not just life.

Also I will add I never said all I said some service and police personnel have no interest.

I don't find your reply offensive, its just that many of your posts on this and other threads are confrontational, acerbic and intolerant of any view but your own. You have forthright views on many subjects, which is fine. An occaisional acknowledgment however that you don't always know more than everyone else, about just about everything might win you a few friends. Just a thought. Edited by Blunderbuss

I would be mildly surprised to find someone who volunteered for firearms duty as part of their work had no interest in guns outside their work, but wouldn't find it scary. Equally, but unlike you, I wouldn't find it scary, nor consider anyone dangerously obsessive who had an interest in guns both in and out of work.

I believe I did say could.meaning some cases.also I notice there are other posts that others have made in a similar line to my post agreeing that it is not scary or unusual. Yet you find no need to berate them.at I suppose I must just be singled out.well atb

I believe I did say could.meaning some cases.also I notice there are other posts that others have made in a similar line to my post agreeing that it is not scary or unusual. Yet you find no need to berate them.at I suppose I must just be singled out.well atb

I'm not sure I'm following your train of though here, but as I've said, I don't find it scary nor dangerously obsessive , merely mildly surprised, which ever way you care to look at it. But if I'm following your logic correctly I can't realistically berate someone who finds it 'scary' that a firearms officer has no interest in firearms outside of work, as while I may consider the opinion odd, I don't know who would feel insulted by it. Strangely amusing perhaps, but insulted? With your comments in response however, I know exactly who would find it insulting.

Totally agree. Equally it doesn't 'follow' that anyone who is interested in guns in and out of work is 'borderline obsessive' or 'scary'.

As I have said a couple of posts back Yes I may have not worded it the best way.but here goes again. I did not mean that all people who worked with firearms and used them in their leisure time were all obsessive.I trust you can now accept this.

Right lads enough of the personal opinion atacks,,,, I started this thread about one of our local muppet feo doing something rather stupid where you are now decesending into areas that have nothing to do with what the topic was started for so back on track please there have been some good reads for me about others experiences........

In the op,I understand a police officer lost some fingers due to an incident on duty. What ever was the blame be it slackness,poor supervision etc I am surprised at the gloating element within this thread.

how many on here would scoff so much if the guy had lost a foot in a traffic accident-as a highly trained police driver.

Hold on, I've answered my own question.

F.

Right lads enough of the personal opinion atacks,,,, I started this thread about one of our local muppet feo doing something rather stupid.

People should be careful having a go at others, its the ones that think they are so superior that it couldn't happen to them that I would be careful around with firearms.

Just remember that most FAO's aren't even Police Officers anymore. All of Lancashires are civilian staff.

I think some clarification is called for here, F.A.O. or armed response Officers ARE Firearms trained Police Officers. F.E.O.or Firearms Enquiry Officers are in the main Civilians and as such may never have had any training in handling firearms or in the use of them. THEY are the people who are making the decisions with regards to grants or renewals of Firearms and Shotgun certificates. It is with this in mind that the BASC has been instrumental in holding courses aimed at enlightening these 'Officers' as to the various types of sporting firearms and their uses. It is true that a lot of retired Police Officers find jobs in the Firearms department as they become more and more Civilianised, solely based on cost.

With regards to accidental discharges by Police Firearms Officers, shortly after the formation of the 'Armed Response Units', it was noted that when clearing guns prior to bringing them inside any building, which was done into an oil drum filled with sand, that there was an average of 1 accidental discharge per month. An Inspector from the unit was asked to contact the Military for their advice on the matter. I am led to believe that the Army found that quite amusing, ststing they had several PER DAY !

An Inspector from the unit was asked to contact the Military for their advice on the matter. I am led to believe that the Army found that quite amusing, ststing they had several PER DAY !

That would depend on the number of soldiers clearing the firearm every day and how often compared with the police.

That would depend on the number of soldiers clearing the firearm every day and how often compared with the police.

Yes that is very true. In the case of the Police it would have been several times per day, or night, per Officer, obviously I can not speak for the Army.

]

We do some work for police and RSPCA (rental cars and vans) and I've had to return some rim fire ammo to RSPCA. Plus police left a couple of dummy hand grenades in the back of a car. My mate who found them realised not live and placed them on the desk of our (young) manager who nearly filled his pants. A police car arrived at depot in about 30 seconds following a phone call. Mind you to balance things a shooting person left 2 boxes of 12g shells in a car. I just had to help the boss out and 'dispose' of them. Cheeky sod then asked me what they were worth!

We do some work for police and RSPCA (rental cars and vans) and I've had to return some rim fire ammo to RSPCA. Plus police left a couple of dummy hand grenades in the back of a car. My mate who found them realised not live and placed them on the desk of our (young) manager who nearly filled his pants. A police car arrived at depot in about 30 seconds following a phone call. Mind you to balance things a shooting person left 2 boxes of 12g shells in a car. I just had to help the boss out and 'dispose' of them. Cheeky sod then asked me what they were worth!

Yeah I think the police once left a glock and some 9mm ammo at my club. Put everyone in a very tricky situation! I mean us civvies can't even look at section 5! They came and got them sharpish thankfully.

Edited by srspower

My local firearms response unit train at my club. They have a reputation for poor muzzle dicipline to the point they would get booted out if they were regular members. Just goes to show that putting on a uniform doesn't suddenly make you an expert despite what the public may think.

Or to rephrase: Just goes to show that putting on a uniform doesn't suddenly make you an expert despite what the police may think