Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

http://www.acpo.presscentre.com/Press-Releases/Police-ask-firearms-owners-How-secure-are-your-guns-2fd.aspx

If you are in­ter­est­ed in ar­rang­ing an in­ter­view or have any other ques­tions around the op­er­a­tion, please con­tact Tim Mal­one on 02070848947 or tim.​mal­one@​acpo.​pnn.​po­lice.​uk for fur­ther de­tails.

• At year end March 2014 there were 1,837,243 shotguns and firearms on certificate. 3296 lost or stolen in five years represents 0.18% of licensed firearms.
  • We would encourage editors to use these pictures or similar. Licensed firearms in the main are shotguns/rifles, etc and often portrayed as handguns which are not a true reflection.
  • Police have been working with gun clubs delivering presentations and engaging, over the past year, an initiative for gun clubs to watch for signs behavioural changes or concerns in members and fellow shooters. The Crimestoppers campaign now helps to widen this engagement with the whole of the shooting community and public.

Anyone seen the presentation?

Edited by HDAV

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can't help feeling its part of an anti-gun rheotoric by the police, today on south west bbc news a "story" is running at every bulletin staing that devonand cornwalll has the highest gun ownership in the uk and the police are upgrading thier weapons accordingly. most ridiculous thing i've ever heard, **** all happens down here and quite frankly if it does the chances of plod being awake when it does kick off is slim to non existenet. But no comment from basc or anyone else, no balance.

can't help feeling its part of an anti-gun rheotoric by the police, today on south west bbc news a "story" is running at every bulletin staing that devonand cornwalll has the highest gun ownership in the uk and the police are upgrading thier weapons accordingly. most ridiculous thing i've ever heard, **** all happens down here and quite frankly if it does the chances of plod being awake when it does kick off is slim to non existenet. But no comment from basc or anyone else, no balance.

Wasn't a similar reason ( and for the same reason) given by some chief officer of police in Scotland sometime earlier this year?

I shoot at several of the county police shoots every year(sporting)and there are a lot of police officers who shoot.so therefore dispelling the myth that is a doing the rounds on this forum that the ordinary policeman knows nothing about guns.maybe some know more than some of the experts on here.just a thought.

Never mind ACPO, check out the Crimestoppers website and click on the 'partners' tab. It looks more to me like creeping corporation. Privatisation of firearm licensing has been talked about for a long time. I think this could be an information gathering excercise with the Police being used as the foot soldiers and using 'terrorism' as an excuse. Information is now a massive commodity traded in its own right.
Why should Crimestoppers be involved with legally held firearms?
("Despite such low figures and little evidence of a genuine problem, a dedicated Crimestoppers hotline has also been launched “to encourage members of the shooting community and the general public to report any concerns about legally held firearms”.)

Never mind ACPO, check out the Crimestoppers website and click on the 'partners' tab. It looks more to me like creeping corporation. Privatisation of firearm licensing has been talked about for a long time. I think this could be an information gathering excercise with the Police being used as the foot soldiers and using 'terrorism' as an excuse. Information is now a massive commodity traded in its own right.

Why should Crimestoppers be involved with legally held firearms?

("Despite such low figures and little evidence of a genuine problem, a dedicated Crimestoppers hotline has also been launched to encourage members of the shooting community and the general public to report any concerns about legally held firearms.)

Lincolnshire firearms department is run by g4s.

I shoot at several of the county police shoots every year(sporting)and there are a lot of police officers who shoot.so therefore dispelling the myth that is a doing the rounds on this forum that the ordinary policeman knows nothing about guns.maybe some know more than some of the experts on here.just a thought.

I think you may be on the wrong thread; the police don't need to know anything about 'guns' to check an owners security, they simply need to know HO guidance regards how any firearms at any given location should be secured.

DO you think we should all phone the hotline and express our concern about the lack of discretion? there were 580,653 SGC's on issue in 09/10 if we all phone for 30 seconds that should keep the dedicated team busy for a while................

Unless the police have a warrant I would not give them permission to enter unannounced no matter how well your firearms may be secured. Have them make an appointment for them to come back. No need to give them any more powers than they already have, or appear to have. Once you give an inch the powers that be will take a mile, and good luck getting it back. Stop this in its tracks now.

so instead of all sitting here moan , how many have done the NGO submission ??

it took me 30 secs to fill it in , before we start to moan about our shooting reps not doing anything , lets at least give them the Ammo to do so .

Edited by stevo

I know of or have been involved in incidents where legally held firearms have been stolen whilst in the house but not locked away.
Where the legal owners have been in a public place and been behaving in a manner that got them arrested whilst in possession of a firearm.
Where information has been received that people have more than their allocation of ammunition.
Where Intel has been received about FAC holders that also have s1 guns "off ticket".
Where shotguns are kept behind the front door not in the cabinet on a routine basis.
Where guns have been loaned to friends who don't have the paperwork.
Where a SGC holder had CS, stun guns and lots of other nasty things at home.
The list goes on....

Not everyone is as responsible as the users on this forum would appear to be.
People do take the **** when they have had their inspection and standards do lapse between them.
If someone wants to come to my house, if they can find it without phoning me first and do a spot check then fine by me.
If they want to check that all of the guns in the cabinet are on my ticket then fine. If they want to check there is none missing then so be it.
It's going to take about 10 minutes of my time and during the evening that would probably mean 10 minutes less tv or reading garbage on the Internet. As long as the officer was polite, well mannered and respectful as they all should be anyway where is the issue.

This is a quote from post #35......An unannounced visit due to: we want to make sure you're keeping your firearms safe is I am afraid not enough good reason for it.

Does that sound right to you?

Harry

I wouldn't allow entry to my house unannounced by anybody to check my gun security . If it happens to me I will be straight on the phone to my solicitor .

This is more erosion of our civil liberties and human rights . If any body comes to my house it will have to be by appointment or search warrant . Like most on hear I am an honest ,honourable person and don't need spot checks to see if I am playing the game ,for crying out loud I have owned and had all types of guns in the house for the past 50 years .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

I'm with Dirty Harry it's just a shot across the bow for those who don't comply or are slack with security. I know plenty where guns are tools of their trade who are slack about putting them away. Hell coming home from lamping late it's an effort to clean and dry a wet firearm but most do it, some however don't.

I have no issue on checks as mine are where they should be plenty of farms still have one left out. This does the rounds every once in a while wasn't it in wales it last surfaced

This is a quote from post #35......An unannounced visit due to: we want to make sure you're keeping your firearms safe is I am afraid not enough good reason for it.

Harry

You probably meant me. Of course it sounds right. If they have a warrant, letter of revocation or believe that a criminal offense is being committed they can come in, otherwise make an appointment,I am a busy guy.

At the end of the day the Home Office has much more power than our shooting organisations will ever have while they are so divided. Whilst gvmnt might pretend to take account of what they say on our behalf it carries little to sway their decisions. Could it be that BASC - with their experience of gvmnt actions know they lack the clout to force gvmnt changes but CA are making sound bites that appeal to our citizens rights?

I truly hate to utter this but we are not in the same position as USA with regard to support for gun ownership. The gvmnt decides and we have to bow or hand them in.

I have to wonder how many revocations will result from any FAC holder who steadfastly obstruct the police on their doorstep.

Edited by Dave-G

I know of or have been involved in incidents where legally held firearms have been stolen whilst in the house but not locked away.

Where the legal owners have been in a public place and been behaving in a manner that got them arrested whilst in possession of a firearm.

Where information has been received that people have more than their allocation of ammunition.

Where Intel has been received about FAC holders that also have s1 guns "off ticket".

Where shotguns are kept behind the front door not in the cabinet on a routine basis.

Where guns have been loaned to friends who don't have the paperwork.

Where a SGC holder had CS, stun guns and lots of other nasty things at home.

The list goes on....

Not everyone is as responsible as the users on this forum would appear to be.

People do take the **** when they have had their inspection and standards do lapse between them.

If someone wants to come to my house, if they can find it without phoning me first and do a spot check then fine by me.

If they want to check that all of the guns in the cabinet are on my ticket then fine. If they want to check there is none missing then so be it.

It's going to take about 10 minutes of my time and during the evening that would probably mean 10 minutes less tv or reading garbage on the Internet. As long as the officer was polite, well mannered and respectful as they all should be anyway where is the issue.

Harry

Fair enough, but that works both ways. I also 'know of' an incident where the behaviour of the owner of legally held firearms was reported not only by the general public but the shooting community and serving police officers themselves on several occasions, but for reasons best known to the chief officer for that area, were ignored. A lot of people paid the price for that.

I also 'know of' another incident where another owner of legitimately owned firearms was reported to the police who saw fit to seize his firearms following an offence for which he wouldn't have been granted a licence in the first place, and then amazingly returned those seized firearms to the owner who went on to kill two people.

Skewed and biased reasoning behind policy decisions by targeting legitimate firearms owners as potential risks is extremely insulting and does little to endear those who are in a very good position to help, even if that help has been ignored in the past. If the public ownership of firearms and those who own them, despite vetting by the police, has become to be considered such a risk to the general public, then perhaps the entire matter needs a rethink.

Regular meetings with FEO's in the home and allowing each to get to know the other would be much more effective than what is being suggested.