Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

Just because you roll over like a submissive dog dont mean we all have to.

Well I have done some fifty years of happy shooting I do not feel that rolling over as you call it has done me any harm.people of my generation have a different outlook and attitude to you younger boys and perhaps that is why we never had the fears some of you do today.enjoy your shooting for as long as it lasts. Atb

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:yes::yes:

Its just another step in the grinding onslaught against shooters. <_<

I live in a quiet and nice area so a visit from the police would not be much of an issue. However there are plenty of certificate holders who aren't that lucky and having uniformed police or marked cars turn up WILL cause them problems :/

Agree, told the neighbours that I was involved in a traffic incident after FEO turned up in a police car....

Just a thought, as far as I am aware your guns don't have to be locked away if you are in the house, could be cleaning them or getting ready to go out shooting etc. They do have to be locked away if your not there, but then the police wouldn't have access so not sure what it achieves ???

Doc

The 2005 firearms security guidance makes it clear that the 'stored securely' part means IN the cabinet when they're at your home address/where they are usually stored. Ironically (but practically/logically)if you're away in a hotel somewhere the security requirements are less!

The only reason they should be out of the cabinet is when they're in use, being transported for use/repair etc or being cleaned/maintained, or 'other purpose' such as fitting a sight/accessories, practicing gun mount, loading drills etc.

There have been cases of revocation when neighbours have spotted guns lying on tables inside the house

Aris, My feelings almost exactly. Steppenwolf - my main concern would be, with a visit under normal circumstances (or a 'terrorist' one) suppose you were going out shooting, had the gun in a slip in the house ready for exit, near the door and the police or a CPSO called. Would that be accepted or regarded as insecurely stored and liable for removal. So much hangs on the police knowing their job, you personally, and how to determine the truth - A bit worrying as a couple of those are doubtful from my experience.

Exactly, or how about they call just as you are arriving from a shooting trip and are getting guns out of the car? Are they still secure, what if you put a gun down to pick another one up or there are too many guns and you have to take a few guns in the house while leaving one in the car to take on a second trip?

I used to have a 'mass clean' on Sundays - guns everywhere in bits and being cleaned, do the shotguns and then rifles put them away singly, I wonder if i should clean them one at a time ? No joking this has really got me thinking - if someone was to call and ask to see them - they are on the kitchen table might not be the best answer.

I need some school holiday pills - got any Doc ?

Kes At my last renewall i got all 6 out of the cabinets for the flo to check them out and they stayed out when we went downstairs for the customary chat and cup of tea and they were put back when he left so i wouldnt worry about having all your guns out at the same time the main thing is that your in with them when theyre out.if they need to be cleaned or tinkered with its fine as long as your with them id say.

Exactly, or how about they call just as you are arriving from a shooting trip and are getting guns out of the car? Are they still secure, what if you put a gun down to pick another one up or there are too many guns and you have to take a few guns in the house while leaving one in the car to take on a second trip?

I usually find that one gun is enough for my shooting on each trip out.I don't need to take an armoury of them for a round of clays or a bit of decoying. But then again I only use beretta.what about if you are in a gun shop and the rack is unlocked because you are being shown a gun or two off the rack and the police turn up my god they could empty the shop.where will it all end.we are doomed doomed I tell you.;););)

Well I have done some fifty years of happy shooting I do not feel that rolling over as you call it has done me any harm.people of my generation have a different outlook and attitude to you younger boys and perhaps that is why we never had the fears some of you do today.enjoy your shooting for as long as it lasts. Atb

And that's why we don't have sporting pistol/handguns anymore, because you're happy to bend over and pull down the pants of anyone who doesn't willingly bend and part their cheeks.....

I hope you enjoyed your 50 years of shooting we may well not the chance due to your attitude!

Just a thought, as far as I am aware your guns don't have to be locked away if you are in the house, could be cleaning them or getting ready to go out shooting etc. They do have to be locked away if your not there, but then the police wouldn't have access so not sure what it achieves ???

Doc

My thoughts exactly.

Another pointless box ticking exercise to solve a problem that didn't exist in the first place.

If anyone thinks what I, you or any of the shooting organization say will make one bit of difference to the law makers your wrong! If they want you to hop around on one leg to get a SC or FAC then hopping you will be!

As there has been no change in the law and the police have always been able to turn up unannounced and looking at it they will only be knocking on your door if they are given reason and not just turn up if they are having a slow day I can't see a problem other than if a couple of coppers turn up at my house it will give the wife a hart attack (the last time it happened was to say my son had been involved in a very bad car accident!) I can't see a real problem.

Looking at it the other way would any of the people on here not want the police to act if they had info that a SC or FAC holder was not behaving in a proper way?

If they had before Dunblane it would not have happened or I believe Hungerford before that then we would probably still have hand guns and semi autos.

The bit that gets me is the linking of us to criminals and terrorists.

If the police turn up at my door saying sir we have received information that you are or you have doing some thing you shouldn't then they will be let in after id has been verified. once they have seen all is as it should be they will be told that i wish to make a complaint against who ever it was that told them I'd be up to no good.

if they turn up and say they have nothing better to do so thought they would have a look at my cabinets then they will be told to make an appointment!

Edited by bluesj

And that's why we don't have sporting pistol/handguns anymore, because you're happy to bend over and pull down the pants of anyone who doesn't willingly bend and part their cheeks.....

I hope you enjoyed your 50 years of shooting we may well not the chance due to your attitude!

No the reason you do not have your handguns is because some nutters went around killing people and the Blair men used it to win favour with the populous. But having said that the people who used these guns never stood up and made noise.I was in London for the marches against the people of the towns and cities when they wanted to take hunting where we're you.I was also in the fuel blockade at the refinery in protest at the cost where we're you then so please don't talk of bending you know nothing.the public have a very low opinion of the shooting community and all your attitude of aggression against the police is only going to strengthen their bias.perhaps when some of you grow up enough to realise that the system will also protect you and your rights if you work within it and follow the rules.instead of ranting on a forum perhaps it would do you all more good if you joined basc and gave them a real mandate to go fight your corner.but most of England's gun holders won't spend the few pounds to protect the sport they claim to hold so dear.if you lose shooting in your lifetime blame yourselves not the people who kept it for years before you. Edited by bostonmick

If anyone thinks what I, you or any of the shooting organization say will make one bit of difference to the law makers your wrong! If they want you to hop around on one leg to get a SC or FAC then hopping you will be!

As there has been no change in the law and the police have always been able to turn up unannounced and looking at it they will only be knocking on your door if they are given reason and not just turn up if they are having a slow day I can't see a problem other than if a couple of coppers turn up at my house it will give the wife a hart attack (the last time it happened was to say my son had been involved in a very bad car accident!) I can't see a real problem.

Looking at it the other way would any of the people on here not want the police to act if they had info that a SC or FAC holder was not behaving in a proper way?

If they had before Dunblane it would not have happened or I believe Hungerford before that then we would probably still have hand guns and semi autos.

The bit that gets me is the linking of us to criminals and terrorists.

If the police turn up at my door saying sir we have received information that you are or you have doing some thing you shouldn't then they will be let in after id has been verified. once they have seen all is as it should be they will be told that i wish to make a complaint against who ever it was that told them I'd be up to no good.

if they turn up and say they have nothing better to do so thought they would have a look at my cabinets then they will be told to make an appointment!

The police new about Hamilton at Dunblane and a WPC had recommended a number of times that his guns were removed. It is suggested that Hamilton knew a senior police officer who ignored his colleagues advice. If the police had applied the policies they suggest are necessary and rigorous - Hamilton would not have had the means to kill innocents. A senior police officer resigned after Dunblane. All reported at the time. Your comments about the police are therefore inaccurate - sorry - they did know.

No the reason you do not have your handguns is because some nutters went around killing people and the Blair men used it to win favour with the populous. But having said that the people who used these guns never stood up and made noise.I was in London for the marches against the people of the towns and cities when they wanted to take hunting where we're you.I was also in the fuel blockade at the refinery in protest at the cost where we're you then so please don't talk of bending you know nothing.the public have a very low opinion of the shooting community and all your attitude of aggression against the police is only going to strengthen their bias.perhaps when some of you grow up enough to realise that the system will also protect you and your rights if you work within it and follow the rules.instead of ranting on a forum perhaps it would do you all more good if you joined basc and gave them a real mandate to go fight your corner.but most of England's gun holders won't spend the few pounds to protect the sport they claim to hold so dear.if you lose shooting in your lifetime blame yourselves not the people who kept it for years before you.

I prefer it in Italics.

The police new about Hamilton at Dunblane and a WPC had recommended a number of times that his guns were removed. It is suggested that Hamilton knew a senior police officer who ignored his colleagues advice. If the police had applied the policies they suggest are necessary and rigorous - Hamilton would not have had the means to kill innocents. A senior police officer resigned after Dunblane. All reported at the time. Your comments about the police are therefore inaccurate - sorry - they did know.

That was my point even if not made very well Hamilton had been reported to the police and i believe so was Ryan! And we all wish they had done the right thing then!

If they had the same sort of info weather it be right or wrong I'm sure we would all hope they looked in to it!

Edited by bluesj