Acorns

steve_b_wales

the woodland trust were giving 2 year old trees away at one of the game fairs, we took a load to plant! might be worth seeing if anyone in the local area has any the want to give out.

I offered the woodland trust many Oak & Chestnut saplings last year, but they didn't want to know. :/

Is it not a bit late for them there was loads of them around a few weeks ago not seem many of late but I will have a look when I go out.

It's not too late. As long as the acorn hasn't rotted it will be fine.

I planted a few hundred last autumn never worked. If I could get seedlings or saplings I should plant as many, will have a look about

Plant the acorns in pots containing wet compost. You should see some of them starting to sprout. Once sprouted, leave them grow for a few months, then put them in bigger pots. I end up by growing them in plastic buckets, and after a year or two, put the whole lot into the ground. I find that 70% of what I plant, grows.

Plant the acorns in pots containing wet compost. You should see some of them starting to sprout. Once sprouted, leave them grow for a few months, then put them in bigger pots. I end up by growing them in plastic buckets, and after a year or two, put the whole lot into the ground. I find that 70% of what I plant, grows.

Yeah, will do I sort of though if I put enough in and all that

Admiral john Jervis, First Lord St. Vincent, clearly agreed with you. Wishing to ensure the continued supply of oak for building warships, he always carried a pocketful of acorns and would plant them wherever space permitted. He stated that it worthwhile even if most failed as some would survive.

Nick

Still looking for Acorns, and would appreciate it if someone could send me some (if they find them of course) I have recently planted around 60 Chestnuts (conkers) and hope that most will germinate. I also planted a few Sycamore seeds, but I have found them to be very hard to germinate, although I don't know why.

Thanks. :good: