Northumberland and North York Moors

tonker

The Mrs and I have just got back from 10 days up there, What a cracking area!!

We usually go straight up through to Scotland with the camper and have never been over that side before.

We had a cottage out in the sticks Nr Alnwick for a week, Then stayed in a pub on Lindisfarne for a couple of days, then had a few days on the North York Moors near a village called Chop Gate.

It's a well kept secret as far as I was concerned, we've been to Scotland a dozen or so times, and never bothered looking elsewhere!

Loads of castles and old buildings to visit, National Trust properties, and the wild white cattle, untouched for 800 years (so say) and the very different castle at Chillington

Up on the moors it was great to see, Pheasant, Grouse and Partridge in some numbers (lucky to see the Grouse I suppose as we surprised some)

Never seen so many dead pheasants on the roads before, and you had to drive slow, a local shoot had just released 40,000, for guns that are flown in by Helicopter. In fact several times 40/50 would just drop over the hedge onto the road in front of you, how we never flattened some I don't know.

Although I am in two Farmers shoots myself, I must admit it made me think that it must be like shooting fish in a barrel with that amount in the air, unless the beaters do a good job, We must be careful not to aid the antes!!

For any PW members who live around there, you are very very lucky, for anyone who has not been to the area, it is well worth a visit, we'll be going back for sure. I'll stop now but could go on for a long time.

I have not even mentioned the scenery, stunning

ATB Steve

Shh we let everyone think the North East is a right hole. It's grim oop North and all that.

Don't live to far from Chop Gate and shot there a couple of seasons ago as a guest on a small syndicate that shot the valley on way out of the place. Not on the big estate shoot but very good ground.

The whole place is stunning with only the industrial bit blotting the landscape.

Figgy

glad you enjoyed your visit the sad thing is we grow a lot of wind turbines up here :no: as somehow the powers that be think we shouldn't try to have a tourists industry as they have no idea about the area they still think it's mainly slag heaps and flat caps :lol:.

Chop Gate (pronounced Chop Yat by the locals) is in Bilsdale. This dale is in my opinion one of the most beautiful valleys in Britain. But then I'm biased having driven or been driven up and down it regularly since 1958. A great road to drive too with plenty of twists and turns.

Northumberland was described as England's best kept secret and the west side of Co Durham has stunning scenery too. Southern softies might find it a bit harsh and bleak though being used to chocolate box scenery :):)

The Mrs and I have just got back from 10 days up there, What a cracking area!!

We usually go straight up through to Scotland with the camper and have never been over that side before.

We had a cottage out in the sticks Nr Alnwick for a week, Then stayed in a pub on Lindisfarne for a couple of days, then had a few days on the North York Moors near a village called Chop Gate.

It's a well kept secret as far as I was concerned, we've been to Scotland a dozen or so times, and never bothered looking elsewhere!

Loads of castles and old buildings to visit, National Trust properties, and the wild white cattle, untouched for 800 years (so say) and the very different castle at Chillington

Up on the moors it was great to see, Pheasant, Grouse and Partridge in some numbers (lucky to see the Grouse I suppose as we surprised some)

Never seen so many dead pheasants on the roads before, and you had to drive slow, a local shoot had just released 40,000, for guns that are flown in by Helicopter. In fact several times 40/50 would just drop over the hedge onto the road in front of you, how we never flattened some I don't know.

Although I am in two Farmers shoots myself, I must admit it made me think that it must be like shooting fish in a barrel with that amount in the air, unless the beaters do a good job, We must be careful not to aid the antes!!

For any PW members who live around there, you are very very lucky, for anyone who has not been to the area, it is well worth a visit, we'll be going back for sure. I'll stop now but could go on for a long time.

I have not even mentioned the scenery, stunning

ATB Steve

Chop Gate isn't a long drive from where I live (where I usually live, I'm at university in Shropshire at the moment).

I've been to that area and there are a few big shooting estates, pheasant and grouse. There's lots of dead pheasants on that road as well, at least there has been every time I've been along there.

Chop Gate (pronounced Chop Yat by the locals)

+1

Used to do a lot of cycling round chop gate,my mother who was the cook at the school camp at Carlton in Cleveland for many many years lived in Carlton

beautiful part of the world and only 30 mins from the hustle and bustle of Teeside and its industry,only yesterday evening I had the short trip over the moors to Whitby yep its grim up here.

oh and yes lots and lots of bunny bashing around here.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Shh stop it. They'll all know and we will be inundated with tourists.

To be honest from the east to west coast the whole northern area is stunning, North York moors the lakes Tees dale and on up into Northumberland and the Durham dales.

Figgy

For gods sake delete this thread. Keep the north secret. This is gods own country. Bleak and unspoilt. The wife, dogs and me have been going for years now but have noticed in the past couple of years it is beginning to get a fair few tarquins and jemimas from down south. The price of renting a weeks holiday cottage is going through the roof

we have a static just south of Whitby. whitby is my second home . i was born in guisborough :good:

High Hawsker was where my mother was. Guisborough is also lovely.

Damn right Yates. We have everything we need in Yorkshire, Boycott for PM!

Old but good!

We've had 3 weekends up at Bywell Shhoting ground this year - stayed over near Amble each time, it sure is a lovely part of the country. I can see why my Brother has decided to retire there when he returns from Saudi in 8 years time, perhaps we'll join him ;)

Caw, I trys tu pay a compliment to an arieal up norf and awl I gets greef. they fretens to get me fred removed, and then I bets they awl comes down sowf and fills up cornall for ther zummer olidays.

Snow wunder Im appy owt in the sticks in zummerzet innit.

Said with tongue in cheek and smile on face, or was it wind :yes::yes:

Edited by tonker