One for the 'electronic' bread maker bakers please

Mungler

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought one of these a couple of years, made about 3 loaves, tossed them in the skip followed by the breadmaking thingy.

Waste of time and effort, cheaper and less stressful to buy a loaf!!!

I had no success a few years ago. Everything came out more like cake than bread. I tried again recently with different recipies and different ready mixes. Still no luck. Always comes out doughy, brown on the outside but too wet/undercooked on the inside. Tried longer baking time with no success. The skip becons.

No wonder it's a mans job.

I must be be a master baker by now as I love two handed kneading of two baps at once like that :lol:

Figgy

It was always good fun learning how to mould with both hands.

The standard joke was to state you can tell the size of the bakers girl friends boobs by the size of dough he could mould.

As a youngster it was the bread roll (fitted in the palm of your hand) later in life is was 4lb of dough (just under 2 kilos) in each hand, then you knew you had arrived.

I qualified as a Master Baker, but always had to remind people with an accent, especially a West Country accent to be very careful at how they pronounced "Master Baker" it often made me sound like "City Banker" :lol: ,

From memory:

1.5 tsp yeast

300g wholemeal bread flour

300g white bread flour

2 tsp sugar

25g butter

1.5 tsp salt

430ml tepid water

Set to large loaf, medium crust, menu no 4 (5 hours).

This assumes you have the same Panasonic machine as me :)

Good basic recipe. Ignore the hecklers - there's nothing like coming down to fresh bread first thing.

The salt is to control the gluten build up, not kill the yeast.

Trial and error, this recipe is first on the list - I'll let you know how I get on.

Been in Spain for 3 days, so late coming on to this

The 100% reliable recipe that I use in my Kenwood breadmaker is

2 tsp salt (into the breadmaker)

2 tbsp set honey (into the breadmaker) -makes the bread chewier

2 eggs and juice of 1 lemon into a measuring jug and top up to 375ml of water (into the breadmaker)

Add 400 gm of Waitrose's very strong Canadian wholemeal flour and 200gm wholemeal spelt flour and spread it out to insulate the yeast from the liquid below. Essential if you are using a delay in the timing to bake overnight.

Add 2 tbsp dried milk and 4 tbsp of virgin olive oil

! sachet of dried yeast - any old supermarket brand.

I use the whitebread programme and 3.15 hours later I get a perfect wholemeal loaf.

When I started breadmaking, I too got the collapsed loaves, but this recipe and precise weights of ingredients has done the trick.

Edited by amateur

Lift bread pan out of machine.. Make sure the stirring paddle is fastened in the bottom. Put all the ingredients in. Press a few buttons. A few hours later when it goes beep, take bread pan out tip upside down (preferably wearing oven gloves cause its hot.) tip loaf onto cooling rack. Eat when cool enough to get a knife into it.

Times dependant on recipe. My Panasonic's fastest recipe is 2 hours start to finish, it can be 4 or more depending on what your making. Can be set to come on a timer so you get up to fresh bread in the morning.

Of the three machines I have had over the years the Panasonic is the best for consistent reliable bread.

You can bake cakes in it too using a liner. Or just make dough up to divide into cobs and finish in the oven.

You can get bags of ready to cook ingredients which you just add water to. Wrights make some. Aldi also sell them.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Lift bread pan out of machine.. Make sure the stirring paddle is fastened in the bottom. Put all the ingredients in. Press a few buttons. A few hours later when it goes beep, take bread pan out tip upside down (preferably wearing oven gloves cause its hot.) tip loaf onto cooling rack. Eat when cool enough to get a knife into it.

Times dependant on recipe. My Panasonic's fastest recipe is 2 hours start to finish, it can be 4 or more depending on what your making. Can be set to come on a timer so you get up to fresh bread in the morning.

Of the three machines I have had over the years the Panasonic is the best for consistent reliable bread.

You can bake cakes in it too using a liner. Or just make dough up to divide into cobs and finish in the oven.

You can get bags of ready to cook ingredients which you just add water to. Wrights make some. Aldi also sell them.

Thank you very much for that, I have just been looking on fleebay and there are a few second hand near me so I might just give it a go. :good:

Regards

H