driven shoot

roadkill

Suggest your muck boots aren't really the part, breeks are much more comfortable with wellingtons but not suitable for clays so go for moleskin trousers. You can buy some green wellies with buckles off ebay for around £30, probably not the most comfortable but they'll look okay can still wear them at the clay ground. Whatever the rough shooters say on here it is etiquette to dress correctly on a driven shoot. Any shoot that doesn't follow dress etiquette probably isn't worth going on and certainly anyone turning up on our shoot without a tie would be frowned upon. Gun wise don't take a semi auto! Enjoy!

yep agree really want to look the part without killing my bank, will be getting moleskins , already own a shirt tie and barbour waist coat so only need some trousers and wellies and should look ok i hope.

Really looking forward to the whole day

No semi auto either lol

Suggest your muck boots aren't really the part, breeks are much more comfortable with wellingtons but not suitable for clays so go for moleskin trousers. You can buy some green wellies with buckles off ebay for around £30, probably not the most comfortable but they'll look okay can still wear them at the clay ground. Whatever the rough shooters say on here it is etiquette to dress correctly on a driven shoot. Any shoot that doesn't follow dress etiquette probably isn't worth going on and certainly anyone turning up on our shoot without a tie would be frowned upon. Gun wise don't take a semi auto! Enjoy!

So, buckles are the hinge pin for posh wellies now days?

If you own a pair of walking boots, just buy a pair of green/brown gaiters. Cheaper than new wellies :-)

Good sense, from a shooter who possibly does more days shooting a year than I may do in my lifetime...

Having spent the majority of working years manually engaged from plumbing apprenticeship days smelling strongly of jointing paste and red lead putty, to stuffing smelly bait into North Sea bound lobster pots then back to the jointing paste again. It was always a pleasure to lay aside the clothes I wore at those jobs come shooting days. Like a lot of others in the late 1950s- early 60s the jacket was often ex army, moved on to waxed jackets and tweed breeks. Now I am inclined to sally forth as a proper gent clad in a pair of lined tweed plus fours bought at a closing sale for £40 two seasons ago, at the start of last season I picked up a matching jacket looking as new for £20 from a charity shop. So add a pheasanty tie and In feel fit to stand in any company. Last season I shot the last two drives on a shoot in appalling conditions of wind and rain, pheasants going like rockets before the gale. Thirty six shots for two birds down on the last drive. The Guns were all well drenched, the best of modern technology had failed to keep out the storm. Likewise my tweed suit, wet and heavy but I remained reasonably warm - the main advantage of tweed and wool the ability to retain some warmth under the worst conditions.

Regarding footwear that ids good advice from berretta06, boots are much more comfortable than even the most expensive wellingtons.

Blackpowder

Over the last few years I have managed to get together 2 tweed 3 pieces, one in the Barbour Sporting range that I love and one Bob Parrett and also a Barbour tweed jacket (different tweed) All have been purchased either of here or on EBay. My barbour stuff has all been bought separately, last thing was the breeks cost me £27 total cost about £120. My Bob Parrett stuff I bought as a 3 piece of ebay for £78 plus postage.

If you are not in a hurry these things do come up and you do get a bit of a bargain out of season.

Can all be done on the cheap ebay etc I had a quick look I wear my neoprene hunters most days and a champion cheq shirt aswell I used to buy expensive kit but I garantee I rip them I have a set of tweeds I wear on special shoots boxing day etc

molskins £22

Champion shirt £10

tie £10

Wax jacket £45

Hunter Wellies from £50 .I recommend neoprene bit more expensive but worth it

Can all be done on the cheap ebay etc I had a quick look I wear my neoprene hunters most days and a champion cheq shirt aswell I used to buy expensive kit but I garantee I rip them I have a set of tweeds I wear on special shoots boxing day etc

molskins £22

Champion shirt £10

tie £10

Wax jacket £45

Hunter Wellies from £50 .I recommend neoprene bit more expensive but worth it

Meant to say in my other post here about 20 years ago I bought from a charity shop an excellent traditional keepers / ghillies two piece suit in excellent condition for the princely sum of £1 : 68 Unfortunately the jacket was to tight across the shoulders for shooting so although I wore the plus fours for a time the jacket has been only a few times on my back when I had a few days loading many years ago. Still have a quick glance through the local charity shops in search of like bargains but only the jacket in my previous post has been forthcoming to date.

Blackpowder

Roadkill,

If you decide to wear walkiing boots, I have a pair of Deerhunter green Goretex gaiters you can have as an early Christmas gift. I will post them to you for free :-) They have only been worn twice, so would be most suitable if wanted.

PM me your address if interested.

Best wishes

B06

Roadkill,

If you decide to wear walkiing boots, I have a pair of Deerhunter green Goretex gaiters you can have as an early Christmas gift. I will post them to you for free :-) They have only been worn twice, so would be most suitable if wanted.

PM me your address if interested.

Best wishes

B06

Good offer and always more comfortable than wellies when walking.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread fascinating, thankyou.

One of the land owner's I shoot for has said he'll get me on a driven day as a guest the past couple of seasons, sadly it's yet to happen but I live in hope.

To be honest though, I'm quite happy rough shooting and don't really intend to take it up as a regular thing (though I'll be keeping an open mind) so I've been on the lookout for cloths that'll fit in but obviously as cheap as possible because it might be a 1 off. And you've answered a lot of my questions so thankyou all and thanks to the o.p

They look a good price also , next is the wellies as I don't think my black muck boots will look the part?

I regularly shoot driven game and do prefer breeks, stockings, tie etc but it really doesn't matter. No body will remember what you wore but they most certainly remember if you were curteous, sporting and a safe shot.

Just go out and enjoy yourself and stay safe.

I found this thread fascinating, thankyou.

One of the land owner's I shoot for has said he'll get me on a driven day as a guest the past couple of seasons, sadly it's yet to happen but I live in hope.

To be honest though, I'm quite happy rough shooting and don't really intend to take it up as a regular thing (though I'll be keeping an open mind) so I've been on the lookout for cloths that'll fit in but obviously as cheap as possible because it might be a 1 off. And you've answered a lot of my questions so thankyou all and thanks to the o.p

Ebay's always good for a bargain. I beat regularly for a local keeper. At the end of a season we get a beaters day. It's the only organised shoot I go on. I've got decent (looking!!) wellies, a pair of moleskins, a tattersall shirt, green fleece and a tweed cap. Got the lot off ebay for not very much coin.

If it was a regular occurrence, I'd probably shell out for slightly better gear, but, I mostly look the part :D

*Waits for sarcastic comment from Dave*

Some of the gear on sportsman gun centre is dirt cheap in the clearance store,

I'm prob going to get a few pairs of cheap work trouses of there tomite, if any in my size left

But to be honest as long as u are half smart and warm it doesnae really matter, it is far more important as Suflockngood says above to be SAFE, polite and appreciate the day

I've been to plenty of keepers days where boys are wearing jeans/boilersuits etc, usually as they are farm workers, herds and its there only time they shoot, none are looked down on as they have helped and beat throu the season (might be slightly different if ur paying for a bigger bag day thou)

Edited by scotslad

Some of the gear on sportsman gun centre is dirt cheap in the clearance store,

I'm prob going to get a few pairs of cheap work trouses of there tomite, if any in my size left

But to be honest as long as u are half smart and warm it doesnae really matter, it is far more important as Suflockngood says above to be SAFE, polite and appreciate the day

I've been to plenty of keepers days where boys are wearing jeans/boilersuits etc, usually as they are farm workers, herds and its there only time they shoot, none are looked down on as they have helped and beat throu the season (might be slightly different if ur paying for a bigger bag day thou)

It doesn't matter how well dressed you are (by all means be smart) or how much your gun is worh, if you're not deemed polite, courteous, sporting and above all safe......you'll rarely get invited back.

You're both bang on about the safety and good manners (always nice to fit in though eh?). Actually, I've decided to offer to do some beating in the meantime too, in a vain attempt to lose a few pounds, but hope it doesn't look like I'm trying to push for "my" days shooting. That'll have the added benefit of me knowing a few of the people and getting to know how things run too.