Scotland vs. England

Flashman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always understood it was the English anthem, which contains an anti Scottish verse.

Blackpowder who voted No and is not a supporter of any game played with a ball, round ,oval soft or hard.

Was it actually anti Scotish or was it anti insurrection? If the insurrections had been going on in London or wherever else and the verse had mentioned them, it would possibly be celebrated today. Bit like we celebrate Bonfire night.

As I understand it the three main Jacobite rebellions were with the intent of putting a Jacobite back on the throne of Britain. When the Hanoverians came on the throne there was plenty of people in Britain not keen on it. It just so happened some Scots with the help of our friends across the channel decided to try and do something about it and failed. The anthem as I understand it was never just English. It was to display alliegence to our sovereign from all.

I am no footie fan if I'm honest...but the Scots know how to put on an atmosphere,and as for the anthem getting booed at Celtic Park...are you kidding me you were surprised??!!...England for once looked like a football team.....

I always understood it was the English anthem, which contains an anti Scottish verse.

Blackpowder who voted No and is not a supporter of any game played with a ball, round ,oval soft or hard.

Let's be honest, the lack of sportsmanship is not a "Glasgow" thing or a "football" thing, it's a Scottish thing. Whistling and booing a penalty kick at a rugby union game never happens at Twickenham, yet Murrayfield echoed with it on Saturday.

As for the national anthem - isn't the fact that it represents the whole country in the title - National Anthem? Technical stuff, I know...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

until Jerusalem was adopted in 2010. England has no official national anthem, and usually just adopts the United Kingdom's official anthem, God Save the Queen during sporting events, though there are calls for this to be changed.[12][13] A 2006 survey conducted by the BBC suggested that 55% of the English public would rather have Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen as their national anthem.

johnnie

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/size]

until Jerusalem was adopted in 2010. England has no official national anthem, and usually just adopts the United Kingdom's official anthem, God Save the Queen during sporting events, though there are calls for this to be changed.[12][13] A 2006 survey conducted by the BBC suggested that 55% of the English public would rather have Land of Hope and Glory than God Save the Queen as their national anthem.

johnnie

I think I would also rather either of those alternatives for an English anthem, but God save the Queen is the Anthem for the United Kingdom and in my humble opinion should be respected by all inhabitants

Was it actually anti Scotish or was it anti insurrection? If the insurrections had been going on in London or wherever else and the verse had mentioned them, it would possibly be celebrated today. Bit like we celebrate Bonfire night.

As I understand it the three main Jacobite rebellions were with the intent of putting a Jacobite back on the throne of Britain. When the Hanoverians came on the throne there was plenty of people in Britain not keen on it. It just so happened some Scots with the help of our friends across the channel decided to try and do something about it and failed. The anthem as I understand it was never just English. It was to display alliegence to our sovereign from all.

Verse six NA

Lord grant that marshal Wade

May by thy might aid

Victory bring

May he sedition hush

And like a torrent rush

Rebellious Scots to crush

God save the King.

Birdsalpl you are quite correct in that the various rebelions were fought between Hanovarians and Jacobites with a bit of religious disagreement thrown in. I have heard it quoted that more Scots than English fought against the Jacobite army at Culloden but I cannot find the quotation.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

I blame Mel Gibson.

Mind you, all it took was a short Aussie in a dress with his face painted to send a nation in search of a better identity than Rab C Nesbit.

Obviously the nation's current identity of fake public sector jobs paid for by English tax payers isn't to everyone's suiting (including mine).

fantastic :good:

KW