Long Netting on a Windy Night...

The Essex Hunter

Taking advantage of these continuing strong winds and a nice dark night made a good night for running out the nets....

The fields have dried out quite well, so the extra 3-4 pounds of Essex clay that has been adorning our boots was a nice change....

We used 300 yards of net on areas where the wheat has took a bit of bashing....not the biggest hall, but good fun running around in the dark looking for a bouncing net...even more fun untangling the net in the dark with a rabbit doing its best to get out...

004_zps742f9a97.jpg

TEH

is that one of nelsons quicksets EH similar to mine they are damn good arnt they ,,nice haul of bunnies too

Not sure as my mate has only just brought those baskets as his home made ones have died after several season's

He is very happy with them.....

They are only as quick as the bloke walking backwards.....

What does make for a better set is if some one dresses the net as it goes down to make it even, this saves it getting bunched up at one end. Same as in the daylight but then you have a bit more time....

TEH

Not sure as my mate has only just brought those baskets as his home made ones have died after several season's

What does make for a better set is if some one dresses the net as it goes down to make it even, this saves it getting bunched up at one end. Same as in the daylight but then you have a bit more time....

TEH

yes deffo one setting one spreading the mesh :yes:

I use to enjoy dragging the quick sets about in the dark. Run them out and then work the rabbits in. Learnt very quickly how to roll their necks and shack them out.

Made all my own quick sets but, I can't do it no more so passed them away a few years ago.

Worked very well as a second line on the ferreting as well.

TEH

very true about the second person. I end up setting up one way and walking back the other to pull the bag even. good nights work mate, well done

TEH

I knitted a three hundred yard net in Greece with a 100% bag ( 600 yards) during on holiday . I tied the net in mid way between the poles to keep the bag central and it works well one handed.

I knitted a three hundred yard net in Greece with a 100% bag ( 600 yards) during on holiday . I tied the net in mid way between the poles to keep the bag central and it works well one handed.

how many local fishermen were helping you was it a 6 month vacation :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by stuartbrierley

When we were younger you could get thick linen thread from all the local shoe factories and it was great for making rabbit nets. Think they used to sew on the soles with it. Didn't use to tangle or need double knotting like nylon and wasn't hairy like hemp. Lasted well too but you can't get it anymore, not at a sensible price anyway.