Cylinder Shotgun Barrel

gwm77gwm

Excuse my lack of understanding. I have been looking for a light weight semi auto and have come across a Browning Maxus for sale. However, the barrel, for presently an unknown reason, has been shortened to 25/26 inches and its stated is now cylinder. Can a barrel that's cylinder be a multi choke barrel of can it be threaded to take chokes, so as to accommodate all types of shooting, or is it now purely a cylinder barrel for ever more. Any advice is very welcome. Regards Gordon

Excuse my lack of understanding. I have been looking for a light weight semi auto and have come across a Browning Maxus for sale. However, the barrel, for presently an unknown reason, has been shortened to 25/26 inches and its stated is now cylinder. Can a barrel that's cylinder be a multi choke barrel of can it be threaded to take chokes, so as to accommodate all types of shooting, or is it now purely a cylinder barrel for ever more. Any advice is very welcome. Regards Gordon

There are 1000's of guns for sale so you will find something that fits your need rather than getting tangled up in an unknown.

Winchester do advertise a light weight range....

TEH

if you alter the barrell it must be reproofed before you can sell it,you can still use it

Not quite sure who's right on this one; it'll be good to get the definitive answer. However, if the quoted post is correct, then if it does need a re-proof, it means that it is not now in proof and consequently not only is it illegal to sell it, it is equally so to even offer it for sale.

if you alter the barrell it must be reproofed before you can sell it,you can still use it

No it is if you thin the barrel you can shorten it all you want! As shortening does not affect the wall thickness however if you were to jug choke it or cut threads for MC then you thin the walls and reproof is required.

Teague should be able to make it a multi choke but as above it will not be cheap , unless the gun is a give away price I would look for a intact one .

The gun may have also been shortened due to a bulge at the choke in which case i would steer clear.

+1

But. If it did turn out that the gun did need re-proofing after the barrel was shortened and which has not been done, then if it were to be checked out by a proper 'smith for any possible damage and found sound, you could get the seller to withdraw his illegal offer to sell it and in turn offer to buy it. The gun has to have the necessary re-proof after Mr Teague works his magic anyway. Consequently, if you can take it of the current owner's hands for a pittance, you might just be on a winner.

No it can still be purchased/sold quite legally! shortening shotgun barrel/s as long as it is/they are not under 24 inches in length affects neither the category of gun nor the guns proof status.

Several things put a gun 'out of proof' but shortening the barrel in this case is not one of em!

In this case having the shortened barrels multi choked would I believe render the gun 'out of proof' and consequently require reproof.

P1

The whole shortening/reproofing has been done to death on here,

It's just the same with a rifle barrel,

It's a very grey area,

When I had an HMR done I was told that providing it was mine and I was keeping it then fine,

However if selling it then it had to be reproofed

I eventually sold it to guy down south but his RFD refused to accept it as it hasn't been reproofed,

I then had it reproofed and bobs your uncle.

There will be people who say exactly the opposite so that's where the grey area comes in.

Me personally unless it was a giveaway price would walk away,

:shaun:

If it's the one I've seen advertised, then you wonder as Fenboy says, why it was shortened in the first place as there was a 26" version available. Was the barrel bulged at the forcing cone? Is there enough meat in a back bored barrel before the forcing cone to take a Teague choke? How neat is the cut job, remembering there is a rib involved?

I'd find the price of a spare barrel and then see if it's a good deal or walk away.

Edited by TriBsa

No it can still be purchased/sold quite legally! shortening shotgun barrel/s as long as it is/they are not under 24 inches in length affects neither the category of gun nor the guns proof status.

Several things put a gun 'out of proof' but shortening the barrel in this case is not one of em!

In this case having the shortened barrels multi choked would I believe render the gun 'out of proof' and consequently require reproof.

P1

Indeed!

The whole shortening/reproofing has been done to death on here,

It's just the same with a rifle barrel,

It's a very grey area,

When I had an HMR done I was told that providing it was mine and I was keeping it then fine,

However if selling it then it had to be reproofed

I eventually sold it to guy down south but his RFD refused to accept it as it hasn't been reproofed,

I then had it reproofed and bobs your uncle.

There will be people who say exactly the opposite so that's where the grey area comes in.

Me personally unless it was a giveaway price would walk away,

:shaun:

Rifle barrels are different as when screw cut for a mod or crowned the wall thickness is reduced.

I would like to thank everyone of you who have responded to this topic so far. From what I am hearing, unless the gun has already been re-threaded to take chokes and possibly re-proofed, I don't think it is worth considering unless I could pick up a new barrel at a knock down price, but then why would I want to go to all this bother. I have asked the advertiser to respond to an email I sent yesterday, which asks reason for the shortened barrel and whether rethhreaded to be multi choked and await their response, which I will quite happily share. Regards Gordon

I would like to thank everyone of you who have responded to this topic so far. From what I am hearing, unless the gun has already been re-threaded to take chokes and possibly re-proofed, I don't think it is worth considering unless I could pick up a new barrel at a knock down price, but then why would I want to go to all this bother. I have asked the advertiser to respond to an email I sent yesterday, which asks reason for the shortened barrel and whether rethhreaded to be multi choked and await their response, which I will quite happily share. Regards Gordon

Whereas a ring bulge remains a possibility, I'll hazard a guess and say the owner made a mess of the choke threads - either somehow cross threaded or ruined trying to remove a seized choke, or even having fitted a non compatible choke.