suzuki jimny

telf

morning gents

this will be my first venture into 4 wheel drive,i am thinking about buying the above on a 2006 plate,it has the electric selectable 4 wheel drive and is in cracking condition,it will be used for everyday use and for going shooting,my only concern up to now is boot space,although i suppose i could buy a roof box for the rare occasions when i would need extra space

would appreciate any advice,pros,cons and any information that you can give

cheers

dave

i have the older jimny,i took the rear seats out,and fitted a dog guard, enough space for the dog and all the gear,as for cramped i am 6 foot and have no problem driving it,average 33-35 mpg,used daily for drive to work and shooting most weekends,only thing i would say mine is not designed as a motorway cruiser :)

great little vehicles off road and local driving. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Jimny every day for commuting to work, shooting and fishing.

It is a very competent off road vehicle with Insa Turbo Ranger tyres.

I have cut a board to fit in the back, it has 2 small feet on the front that rest on the seat backs and creates room for a rifle to slide underneath. The rear of the board has 2 removable legs that are cut to provide a flat surface. The legs are removable so the board can be slid out and the seats stood up in a matter of minutes.

The images below show the Jimny in its normal guise, ready for a deer-stalking trip.

I have had 3 fallow in the caracas tray, tight but why transport air :)

I have also had all my pigeon kit including seat, hide, decoys, rotary and 100+ shot birds in the back without a problem.

Perfect 1 man shooting vehicle, floats on mud and can get to the parts others cannot reach!

IMG_0399_zpsea7c8b22.jpg

IMG_0398_zps77301914.jpg

IMG_0403_zpsd55898d2.jpg

IMG_0405_zps1dc3b677.jpg

IMG_0401_zps82543f1a.jpg

IMG_0409_zps2a9a548f.jpg

IMG_0410_zpsa2ba8f53.jpg

Edited by Goldfish

I had one and it was good but braking at speed was a bit scary and it was just that bit too small inside. The low fuel economy at 30mpg compared to a small car at maybe 50mpg is also a deal breaker as an all round vehicle but I do keep thinking about another nonetheless. It did get me to work thru some awful snowy weather year before last that my van may not have managed which was a plus point.

Strangely enough there was a review in one of the papers today. Said it was rough and ready not brilliant on road compared to some new "softroaders" but did exactly what it said on the tin. Mechanicals were bullet proof and the ultimate question the reviewer asked was:- " would i buy one"

His answer was yes.

Know about it well,lol

I had a 54 plate and had the dreaded death wobble the problem is top and bottom king pin bearings.

these bearings are tapered roller bearing and can wear out easy if the swivel housing seals are worn and water gets into the bearings.

Best thing to do is to replace the king pin bearings(easy job) then buy a shim kit so you can adjust the clearance on the swivel housing bearings this should clear the problem.

Also join a web site called big Jimny loads of tips and advice from a lot of helpful people.

Know about it well,lol

I had a 54 plate and had the dreaded death wobble the problem is top and bottom king pin bearings.

these bearings are tapered roller bearing and can wear out easy if the swivel housing seals are worn and water gets into the bearings.

Best thing to do is to replace the king pin bearings(easy job) then buy a shim kit so you can adjust the clearance on the swivel housing bearings this should clear the problem.

Also join a web site called big Jimny loads of tips and advice from a lot of helpful people.

You mean the japanese make a 4x4 that is less than reliable........ wonder if the lanny haters have a comment :whistling:

As a shooting or offroad truck with some mods they are hard to beat much like a Defender in many ways but if you want to use it mostly on road they are slow use to much fuel not good at going around corners in the wet if that is what you want then get one but I would sooner have a soft roader with some AT tyres it would get you to most plases that you need to go in the end it is up to you.

Not a Jimny, but my old Sj410 was a great little car. It would handle thick mud better than my mate's Defender, and I never got it stuck. With the rear seats removed I had a decent amount of space for all my gear and a load of dead pigeons. It wasn't the most quiet or comfortable ride, but if the Jimny is even half as good I would consider buying one.

Know about it well,lol

think you`ll find that's its not so much wear but condensation collecting at the bottom and rusting the bottom bearing, when I did them I used to pile a load of the landrover sloppy grease through the top bearing hole when putting them back together, left that job over 3 years ago and still not heard of any needing renewal, and when shimming them use the minimum number needed

Sorry totally disagree.

4x4s go into water Mine was fitted with snorkel and wading kit breathers for axles diffs, also its normal for any 4x4 to expect to be able to cross rivers and not just used as a school bus and never go off road.

The bearings fail because water passes the swivel housing seals and enter the bearing.

As for shimming you need to be quite radical and ensure when doing this job and make sure there bearings are quite tightly loaded because if you don't you can still get wobble even after renewing the king pin bearing.

think you`ll find that's its not so much wear but condensation collecting at the bottom and rusting the bottom bearing, when I did them I used to pile a load of the landrover sloppy grease through the top bearing hole when putting them back together, left that job over 3 years ago and still not heard of any needing renewal, and when shimming them use the minimum number needed

Sorry totally disagree.

4x4s go into water Mine was fitted with snorkel and wading kit breathers for axles diffs, also its normal for any 4x4 to expect to be able to cross rivers and not just used as a school bus and never go off road.

The bearings fail because water passes the swivel housing seals and enter the bearing.

As for shimming you need to be quite radical and ensure when doing this job and make sure there bearings are quite tightly loaded because if you don't you can still get wobble even after renewing the king pin bearing.

think we`ll have to disagree with each other over this, I worked in a Suzuki dealer and changed loads under warranty on cars which had never been off road in their lives, off roading may accelerate the water ingress but condensation occurs, fact, same as the water entering a braking system, its not through the reservoir, it bleeds in from the callipers and cylinders, testing fluid in the reservoir is no indication of water content in the system

think we`ll have to disagree with each other over this, I worked in a Suzuki dealer and changed loads under warranty on cars which had never been off road in their lives, off roading may accelerate the water ingress but condensation occurs, fact, same as the water entering a braking system, its not through the reservoir, it bleeds in from the callipers and cylinders, testing fluid in the reservoir is no indication of water content in the system

Agree to disagree,

Fact !!!

I have just clocked up 50k mikes in ours, rarely more than just me in it so space is fine.

I too have made a shelf that sits in the back of ours that I put the dog box on or all my shooting gear.

It can be a little slippy in the wet on corners but it's not a racing car at the end of the day.

I happy do plenty of miles at a time in ours and it's great.

Standard road tyres on it but to date it's got me on and off road every where I've wanted and the brother and farther in law have stopped taking the P since its towed both there Defenders !

Also on a cold day it heats up, in no time at all which is real nice.

No plans to retire ours yet either, no troubles so it's staying !