Multi-car Policies. Check them out!

Fisherman Mike

Last week had a renewal notice for 4 cars in the household on a Multicar policy which expires at Midnight tonight.

It was from a well known sea faring naval officer.

As we have a excellent insurance record with them and other companies previously and over 38 years combined NCB I expected some pretty spectacular discounts for the combined policies...

I was shocked that it had actually gone up by about £150 in total.

Not one to be taken for a ride I got straight on it and using a comparison website secured cover for all 4 cars on an individual basis on identical proposals as the previous with Swinton, (2) Hastings and Aviva and managed to reduce the original total premium ( after all surcharges ) by nearly £800 !!!

I didn't even bother going back to the previous insurers for a re-quote, as they should have given me their best shot originally.

I wonder how many of us just accept our renewal notices as read because we cant essentially be bothered or don't have the time to check that we are in fact getting the best deal available.

Agreed, it's an industry model that relies on apathy and not checking renewal prices, I got had last policy by the same sea faring company as I had a Pajero but swapped to an L200 which they deem as a commercial vehicle which they won't cover on multi car policy so I had to get commercial insurance for that vehicle for the remainder of the multi policy

Policy expires in a week so any ideas for cheap L200 cover?

Agreed, it's an industry model that relies on apathy and not checking renewal prices, I got had last policy by the same sea faring company as I had a Pajero but swapped to an L200 which they deem as a commercial vehicle which they won't cover on multi car policy so I had to get commercial insurance for that vehicle for the remainder of the multi policy

What age group are you in if you don't mind me asking ?

My last commercial policy was with saga ...but obviously you need to be in the 50 plus age group.

At the time they were significantly cheaper than the others.

http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/saga-select-van-insurance.aspx

Edited by Fisherman Mike

We had a Multi Car.... same as OP cheap as chips for year 1 then rocketed in year 2.

The same company renewal as 2 separate polices... came out cheaper

We now insure separately with different insurers

I would never have Multi Policy again....

the other problem is now all our policies are due at the same time!!

Edited by ph5172

That's interesting as they offered me multicar on my one this year. In the end I think elephant came out cheapest

Considering it only takes a few minutes I can't understand anyone who doesn't check their renewal quotes for any type of insurance. I am often amazed at the prices that come back, often many £'s cheaper than renewal.

If you only have one resolution for 2015 I would strongly advise checking, even if your renewal has only gone up a little. My premiums have dropped for the past 3 years and I just heard that petrol might get down to a £ a litre soon. At this rate I'll be able to afford a decent car!

Edited by Passionforangling