Paris this time

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key difference here is that to my knowledge the atrocities mentioned weren't specifically carried out in the name of Jesus and weren't prompted by something as seemingly innocuous as a few cartoons.

They really aren't directly comparable.

Another interpretation would be that people have moving goal posts when it comes to judging one religion/race/continent/call it whatever the hell you like against their own. :rolleyes:

This is a huge tragedy and should be condemned by ALL and for those of you who don't know or refuse to believe (because it serves their little prejudiced world), it is being roundly condemned and vilified on the other sides FB and other media as we speak.

As for the comedian who thinks we should send them all back with no exceptions, send who back ? Those who practice Islam, don't look like the natives or those who identify themselves as hard line terrorist ?

I have not specifically researched (crimes of West/Christians against the Middle east/Islam but I bet it would make eye watering reading.

Its not a subject for argument may I suggest - it was horrific, despicable and unworthy act carried out against unarmed civilians or (by comparison) barely armed police. Truly medieval in its cruelty. These people must receive the ultimate sanction.

I feel extreme sorrow for the relatives and friends of those who died by such extreme and premeditated violence and for French Society in general - Vive la France.

I would also say that the reporting says more about the drive for sensationalism than I could have believed possible. Objective journalism is one thing but Sky failed to uphold the objectivity of those who died.

Edited by Kes

your probably right people like her would use a tragedy for their own ends

there ya go "people like her" the type of comment and true bigotry that is allowing that which you have just witnessed.

KW

the paper has repeatedly been warned to stop taking the Michael out of their muslim god, so much so it has been attacked before,,

When will people realise that there are NO rules where these murderers are concerned, they are serious fanaticals, I really feel for the families of those murdered but judging by what is being said on the news it seems to me that these people are fed up of this paper taking the Michael

RIP all whom have died and lets hope the people responsible are brought to justice soon before more are killed but will that happen I doubt it and even if it does more will be ready to step in their shoes and murder more innocent people

Looks like the French Police turned up totally out gunned by these Terrorists, I am surprised though that they got away and what looks like un hurt.

seeing as it was all over in a matter of minutes its hardly surprising, this looked well planned and brutally efficient,but we seem to have already forgotten that just before Xmas France had 3 incidents were innocents were killed by how shall we say the easily offended types within the community. or were those waiting at a bus stop and driven into by a piece of filth using his car as a battering ram also taking the mick of you know who as well? Much more to come me thinks.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Looks like the French Police turned up totally out gunned by these Terrorists, I am surprised though that they got away and what looks like un hurt.

I would imagine that even the perpetrators are pretty surprised to have evaded capture/death. It beggars belief that they could kill 12 people with AK47s in broad daylight in the middle of Paris and then simply just disappear.

I can only assume that either this attack was very well planned or that they were just very lucky.

Either way I hope they are caught very soon, as it stands there are three heavily armed and murderous individuals on the loose.

They had a getaway car and driver - ditched the car and commandeered another along the way. They appear to be wearing masks, fairly will planned, and the fact they had AK's (banned in France) means they had access to armaments from outside France.

I'm not condoning these actions but why did the newspaper feel the need to provoke these people by caricaturing Allah in the first place? I'm all for free speech but if I deliberately wound you up about something fundamental to you and you punched me in the face would you be wrong to do so?

I'm not condoning these actions but why did the newspaper feel the need to provoke these people by caricaturing Allah in the first place? I'm all for free speech but if I deliberately wound you up about something fundamental to you and you punched me in the face would you be wrong to do so?

I'll take a punch anyday instead of a 7.62 in the head !

Yes of course they would its called free speech and we have courts for dealing with such matters. we have to pay the judges and solicitors soehow :lol:

That's starting sound a bit like victim blaming.

The publication made a principled stand that a free press should be able to publish something that offends some people without fear of recriminations.

If we allow these thugs to bully us into not publishing material that they disagree with then the principles of a free press are undermined and they (the armed thugs) effectively control the content of the media. This cannot be allowed in any free society.

As one of the victims himself said shortly before he was killed "I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees."

Edited by DeepThought

Free speech stopped when the race relations bills were passed. As a law abiding citizen I cannot say what I am thinking. I assume that I am still allowed to think what I want.

Only a radical solution will prevent things like this happening through enough pressure from peaceful citizens.

I Disagree, you can still have free speech within the race relations bill. It stopped ignorant people saying things like " No Blacks or Irish" in Hotels and other groups claiming that Black and Asian people were inferior.

What we have now, today is a world away from that.

What radical solution do you propose?

Shoot the terrorists- I would agree with this but this generates martyrs. The Muslim council of Britain have already stood up and condemned this, making them potential targets.

Truth be known, i do not know what the simple answer is.

It wasn't just Islam/Allah they have a go at

Christianity, celebrities, industry,

It's a bit like Private Eye in this country,

Whether you agree or not with their views or what they write, NOBODY deserves what happened today,

:shaun:

Agreed, and that is what free speech is all about. It's a fine line to tread.