Chainsaw use question

henry d

I have been given an old but still perfectly functioning chainsaw to cut wood for my chimenea and to provide lots of sawdust for smoking. My question is should I get safety trousers with full leg protection or just front protection, remember I will be using this in my back garden and to trim(sned ??) fallen timber for their branches, so no felling and nothing commercial.

I will be getting a days supervised tuition from a pal who used to work as a forester and am just canvassing opinion.

Many thanks in anticipation :huh:

I have cut down loads of trees in varying situations and never bothered, never had a near miss but have always been careful.

It's up to you H.

I visited my mate is hospital recently and a young guy opposite had just had his leg removed below the knee as he got hit from behind by a strimmer (metal blade) as they couldn't do anything to save the leg :huh:

So be careful out there, but if you are sensible you should be fine..

does it have the spiked bit where the blade joins the body? If so I would say no need too. As this will help to stop the saw kicking out.

However, safety gear is there to protect you incase. So worth the investment just to be safe.

Edit: And keeping the chain in a good sharp condition, will also prevent a mishap too. :( :huh:

depends on how safe you want to be Henry, full protection is obviously better, but will you bother with it after a while, complacency being the key, i never used it until i watcheda few accidents shown on tv concerening chainsaws, very unforgiving animal is that, a full apron should sufice in most domestic uses would be my opinion, unless you got a hot saw, then full body armour is the call. :huh:

Martin

I have been given an old but still perfectly functioning chainsaw to cut wood for my chimenea and to provide lots of sawdust for smoking. My question is should I get safety trousers with full leg protection or just front protection, remember I will be using this in my back garden and to trim(sned ??) fallen timber for their branches, so no felling and nothing commercial.

I will be getting a days supervised tuition from a pal who used to work as a forester and am just canvassing opinion.

Many thanks in anticipation :huh:

If you keep your eye on the job Henry, with no distractions, you will be fine as confidence grows in handling the saw correctly alot of problems occur when logs and debris build up in the cutting area around your feet. Make a sawhorse it will save your back and is much safer for "logging"

If you want to collect sawdust for smoking lay a tarp down as sweeping up always include bits and foreign matter,good luck with the saw :( D2D

PS just thought when you first start the saw point it a few inches away from a surface that will show splatters of chainoil to confirm that your chain is lubed £££££££ if you overheat it and the bar. :lol:

i would strongly advise anyone to wear as much safety wear as appropriate.i know this from 1st hand experience as from leaving school have worked in the timber and farming industry.but 14 years ago i lost 3 fingers and part of my dominant right hand in a sawmill accident using a saw.my advice is always-always think safety 1`st.

I'd say that the frontal protection should be fine for the use you will be giving it. Usually all rounds are only used by people working from harnesses, when the chain is sometimes running in odd positions. Be very careful at first, and go into everything at full revs. Believe it or not, it's the safest way. Avoid the bar nose until you are more skilled/experienced. If you can get full protection for not much extra £, I'd get it just to be extra safe. I doubt you'll ever need it though. A helmet and mesh visor is a good investment too, but I'm sure your mate will give you all the details. Be careful, and watch that bar nose :huh:

Last of all, does it have a chain brake?

For once years ago i was a chainsaw operator on ticket, ( SAFETY FIRST) clothing must be sturdy and snug-fitting, but allow complete freedom of movement. avoid loose-fitting jackets, scarfs, neckties, jewelry, flared, or cuffed pants or trousers, unconfined long hair or anything that could become entangled with the saw or brush. wear overalls or jeans with a reinforced cut retardant insert or cut retardant chaps.

( GLOVES ) Protect your hands with tough strong gloves when handling saw and saw chain. heavyduty, nonslip gloves to improve your grip and protect your hands.

(GOOD FOOT WEAR) Good footing is most important in chainsaw work, wear sturdy boots with nonslip soles. steel-toed are good too.

To reduce the risk of injury to your eyes never operate a chainsaw unless wearing goggles or properly fitted glasses with adequate top and side protection complying with national standard.

Wear an approved safety hard hat to protect your head, wear (ear mufflers or plugs) chainsaw noise may damage your hearing, also hard hat with fitted full face guard to protect face complying with national standard.

If you would like to see operators manual log on to www.stihl.co.uk

i hope this help you out henry d

as a fire person do you ware saftey goggles and all saftey gear when using cutting equipment for freeing people from cars :D?

if so you answered your own question hendry mate !!

another way to look at it is you leg worth the few quid that the saftey trousers would cost ??

happy sawing cheers kirky

One bit that has being missed out is how to maintain your saw, get your mate to show you properly. The chain is of the utmost importance, & make sure you have a brake bar aswell.

These take no prisoners, & the louder you scream, the faster they go.

Doesn't matter about the 3" cases, I found some..........!

BJ.

as a fire person do you ware saftey goggles and all saftey gear when using cutting equipment for freeing people from cars :blink:?

We have "cut" resistant gloves but the PPE (personal protective equipment) is designed and used for fires and the cutting equipment we use has over 2 tons/ square inch at the jaw tips so nowt you can wear will stop it.

One bit that has being missed out is how to maintain your saw, get your mate to show you properly. The chain is of the utmost importance, & make sure you have a brake bar aswell.

Doesn't matter about the 3" cases, I found some..........!

BJ.

Thats a certainty, BJ and I haven`t found anyone apart from the guy who went bust last year as he had 3" & 3 1/2" :lol:

ARNOLD - Thanks for the info I have taken it on board :D

A friend of mine who works for the forestry commision recently had a bit of an accident whislt using a chainsaw to clear a few bits and pieces up. He had his protective trousers and face guard etc but wasn't wearing any protective gloves.He said he felt something touch his finger whilst he was working but didn't pay it any attention as there was nothing wrong.

The next morning he was rushed into hospital and had to have an emergency operation as a blackthorn or something similar had become lodged in his finger and had gone septic :blink: They had to break the finger and wash the knuckle joint out. :lol:

Make sure you wear all the protective gear HD, looking forward to seeing you again at bisley with all your fingers :D

HD,

I use a small electric chainsaw just to cut logs. I would really reccomend a set of safety specs (keep the crud out of your eyes) and definetly chainsaw trousers. Your legs are most vulnerable.

Decent gloves are a good idea too. You can find some good trousers for around £90-£100, failing that E*** will also have something for the less regular user.

One thing to be aware of is both petrol and Electric chainsaws spit out tons of oil mixed with the sawdust, this option may not be best for smoking, as it really is unhealthy.

If you can, try to get your saw dust (thick stuff) from wood work shops, or pet shops, they sell large bags of the stuff quite cheap for dressing hamster cages etc..