Poor little lamb

steveyg

Came across this poor little lamb on my morning walk,the crows have had a good go at it. If anyone says they don't eat the eyes then show them this pic.

Its given me a greater appetite for a bit of crow bashing tomorrow....

post-63989-0-10468300-1425630352_thumb.jpg

Edited by steveyg

You'd be amazed how the crows are straight into the newborns, even when the yow is licking them dry we've had crows trying to nip in. Last year we had a fair bit of trouble with aggressive gulls doing the same (even though we are in the Yorkshire dales not the coast).

My dad is a farmer and we have a ewe (still alive and well) but with one eye as the crows got one when she was stuck on her back! Happens to all our dead lambs in the field aswell. Very often though they don't just eat the eyes but also eat all the guts from the stomach and all other soft parts. Then Mr Fox gets the leftovers!

And if you are wondering how on earth a ewe gets stuck on its back... Well it's kinda like this!

sheep10.2.jpg

One time before in this scenario with a extremely accurate Air Rifle Perfectly Set! And taking a head shot and the sheep could not move! And at very Close Range! I took a magpie of a sheeps back! (I wouldn't have taken the shot if i wasn't 100% sure that the sheep was safe!) P.S it was my dads sheep! And wouldn't do it on anyone else's sheep nor on my Dads again unless i was 100% sure like i was that time!

article-2172488-1407A70D000005DC-65_634x

You just never know when they will try this!

IMG_0920_filtered.jpg

My dad is a farmer and we have a ewe (still alive and well) but with one eye as the crows got one when she was stuck on her back! Happens to all our dead lambs in the field aswell. Very often though they don't just eat the eyes but also eat all the guts from the stomach and all other soft parts. Then Mr Fox gets the leftovers!

And if you are wondering how on earth a ewe gets stuck on its back... Well it's kinda like this!

//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=307174&p=2772632&md5check=1ddb1a6bcd74ed26e8fa59323d8841d5&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,eExAk2sJofM');

//]]>sheep10.2.jpg

How is it that they get stuck on there backs ? Can they not roll to get back up ?

How is it that they get stuck on there backs ? Can they not roll to get back up ?

To be fair they are not the brightest of animals. I have often found sheep stuck in the brambles and unable to get out until you walk up to them and then they are able to get out. I have often seen this when they are on their backs and seem unable to get up. Though to be fair I have had to roll a few back onto their feet over the years. I have seen a few ewes with one or both eyes missing due to corvids...not nice at all.

One time before in this scenario with a extremely accurate Air Rifle Perfectly Set! And taking a head shot and the sheep could not move! And at very Close Range! I took a magpie of a sheeps back! (I wouldn't have taken the shot if i wasn't 100% sure that the sheep was safe!) P.S it was my dads sheep! And wouldn't do it on anyone else's sheep nor on my Dads again unless i was 100% sure like i was that time!

//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=307174&p=2772635&md5check=4f0d1742401612cf8c0c1ec85590c6ac&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,SlYfiWRAu98');

//]]>article-2172488-1407A70D000005DC-65_634x

You just never know when they will try this!

IMG_0920_filtered.jpg

that magpies after parasites and ticks, just as jackdaws do. Please keep shooting them though! :)

Most ewes that i see actually do manage to get up especially if you go to help them as they are afraid and really give it more of a struggle.

Also they are pretty stupid and their technique to get up often just involves alot of kicking which really doesn't help!

All sheep are different and like one guy said when you get a really flat backed ewe also fatter ewes they find it almost impossible to get up!

And if sheared can be alot easier but with full fleece it is pretty much impossible without help!

I have rolled over many a ewe on their back and trust me that you don't just nudge them! They are actually pretty heavy and hard to roll over!

Also if not turned back over in time the ewe will die! I don't actually know how exactly. I think my dad says it bursts something in there stomach as they fill with lots of wind! (They don't die from hunger!)

And this doesn't happen because they were on their back all week. Im not sure exactly but i think 8 hours and the ewe could be dead or in very bad shape!

A little bit of advice for anyone if you ever find a ewe like this: Don't just flip the ewe over because with lots of wind in her stomach it will cause something to bust inside the ewe! I know from experience as i accidentally killed one of my dads ewes like this. If the ewe hasn't been there long it won't do much damage and will probably just jump up for you and will roll over alot easier but in my case it was in a really bad way and completely filled with wind!

If you ever get a ewe like this just ease onto side and hold for a while and let down really slowly. (Don't panic if it starts making weird noises as this is just what it sounds like as the air is leaving them. The one i accidentally killed when i flipped it over honestly sounded like a chainsaw it had that much wind.)

If you can you should always try to help out a ewe on its back. (Farmers will be very Grateful!) (Same goes for lambs with their head caught in fence.) :good:

Edited by Marksman1997

Two of my perms have a lot of sheep and over the years I must have got at least a half dozen off the backs or rescued sheep that are stuck in brambles etc.

There are a few with only one eye wondering around in circles, and also you will be pleased to know I resisted the half welsh side of me when rescuing sheep that are on there backs.

:)

Especially if they're up the duff.

Some places call them rigwelted sheep, the black sheep brewery do a beer called Rigwelter :lol:

Yup, we call them 'rigged' when they are on their backs but then we are also not a million miles from the black sheep brewery 😋

Most ewes that i see actually do manage to get up especially if you go to help them as they are afraid and really give it more of a struggle.

Also they are pretty stupid and their technique to get up often just involves alot of kicking which really doesn't help!

All sheep are different and like one guy said when you get a really flat backed ewe also fatter ewes they find it almost impossible to get up!

And if sheared can be alot easier but with full fleece it is pretty much impossible without help!

I have rolled over many a ewe on their back and trust me that you don't just nudge them! They are actually pretty heavy and hard to roll over!

Also if not turned back over in time the ewe will die! I don't actually know how exactly. I think my dad says it bursts something in there stomach as they fill with lots of wind! (They don't die from hunger!)

And this doesn't happen because they were on their back all week. Im not sure exactly but i think 8 hours and the ewe could be dead or in very bad shape!

A little bit of advice for anyone if you ever find a ewe like this: Don't just flip the ewe over because with lots of wind in her stomach it will cause something to bust inside the ewe! I know from experience as i accidentally killed one of my dads ewes like this. If the ewe hasn't been there long it won't do much damage and will probably just jump up for you and will roll over alot easier but in my case it was in a really bad way and completely filled with wind!

If you ever get a ewe like this just ease onto side and hold for a while and let down really slowly. (Don't panic if it starts making weird noises as this is just what it sounds like as the air is leaving them. The one i accidentally killed when i flipped it over honestly sounded like a chainsaw it had that much wind.)

If you can you should always try to help out a ewe on its back. (Farmers will be very Grateful!) (Same goes for lambs with their head caught in fence.) :good:

Every days a school day, thanks for replying.

Last year when I was at the Larsen traps in sheep fields, I would often see the sheep laying beside the traps, when there would be 3 greys in the cage, as if the sheep were keeping them company, I would think to myself them greys would be gone with those sheep eyes given half a chance.

Crows have been known to attack a lamb when it's emerging from the ewe. They have been found with eyes and tongue pecked off. Crows are my number one most hated creature, and I will go out of my way to shoot them.

+1 Very satisfying to see a puff of black feathers from the 17hmr at 100yrds.