Any heating engineers on here

FOXHUNTER1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

are you going to elaborate or just snipe from the rear?

Apologies, I dropped to your level for a moment

Let's just say the dealings I have had with BG engineers have left me somewhat unimpressed

See also: Gas-Elec group

Edited by LondonLuke

Let's just say the dealings I have had with BG engineers have left me somewhat unimpressed

and we band em all with the same brush, that sounds a fair and well based opinion, back in the day 1988, British gas apprenticeships and training was second to none, mainly because there was no one else so pretty much all gas training can be traced back to those Halcyon days (youd need to be a fitter to get the irony)

Winston72 - I am definitely bowing out at this point. I don't believe in kicking a man when he is down.

I think the referee should step in and save you. :whistling::whistling:

im far from down, just conversing with (...................add your own insult..............), please please show me where my statements are faulted?? luke has suggested he can as have you but nobody has done it yet

still a a snipe from the rear

I fit Vaillant boilers and have found them to be generally pretty good. The major advantage to them in my eyes is that if anything does go wrong with them replacing the broken part is usually quick and simple, which is not the case with many boilers. Something to think about over the life of a boiler. Also, if they're fitted by a Vaillant approved installer you get a 7 year warranty, which is a significant increase over the standard 2 year.

British Gas seems to have trained attitude into their employees as part of the course. BG or ex BG guys of a certain age seem to have attitude in spades. They undoubtedly got an excellent training, but not having to get work for themselves seemed to dull their people skills.

I must admit this thread is entitled " any heating engineers on here?" are you Luke? are you Gordon? i'm going to guess no, did it say "any gifted amateurs on here" did it say "any one got an un-informed opinion"? I don,t think it did........................... simple enough to check

I fit Vaillant boilers and have found them to be generally pretty good. The major advantage to them in my eyes is that if anything does go wrong with them replacing the broken part is usually quick and simple, which is not the case with many boilers. Something to think about over the life of a boiler. Also, if they're fitted by a Vaillant approved installer you get a 7 year warranty, which is a significant increase over the standard 2 year.

British Gas seems to have trained attitude into their employees as part of the course. BG or ex BG guys of a certain age seem to have attitude in spades. They undoubtedly got an excellent training, but not having to get work for themselves seemed to dull their people skills.

+1, i really don't have people skills, never have and always managed to get buy.

Edited by Winston72

I can tell I'm not having a good day by the fact that I have allowed myself to get drawn into this willy swinging.

My background is that growing up my dad was/is a gas engineer, meaning I spent every weekend, half term, school holiday in and around plumbing and gas. At 18 I knew more about gas than most of the blokes in the merchants we went to and I had a total thirst for knowledge, reading and studying around it. At this point I was sent off to university (at my fathers insistence) and my gas days were over...for the time being.

Having worked in London property after university I spotted a gap in the market for an all round property services company, and ventured on my own to start one using the knowledge and contacts I had. Five years down the line we are doing well - and needless to say gas is a key part of our business.

Am I personally gas safe registered - no, and I am lucky that I don't need to be, I am now virtually hands off on that front. The side of gas I do see on a weekly basis is dealing with suppliers and manufacturers and finding the endless frustration of not having parts readily available, certain brands/models that we are called to and called back to, and the daily battle of tenants with no heating/hot water.

This has given me an insight into the brands that we will or won't recommend, as above, and whilst I am not gas safe registered I would say this entitles me to giving comment on what I would fit.

As an aside, my dad had been working with gas for five years before you were even born and he wouldn't ever come to a forum with the attitude that you do, and the condescending nature/contempt I have seen dished out to others.

That being said, he knows a wise man realises he knows nothing and a fool quite the opposite.

Edited by LondonLuke

This may explain a lot

Exactly Luke!

As for the landlord dig Winston, why would a landlord need to be gas safe and fit boilers to enable them to give a recommendation .?

Anyway I'm leaving it there now as your other posts Winston really do sum you up for all pw'ers to see.

I'm a fully indentured Heating and vent engineer :lol: can I have a say.

Love these threads, the slagging matches that go on.

If I've learned one thing it's that every four or five years a manufacturer changes its design and offers something the others don't, either warranty or incentives to fitters to buy or recommend the, ease of maintanance, you get my drift.

The life of your boiler depends on many factors and the advice you get on different makes can only be by experience of owners installers on the makes/models they know.

But sound advice is get your system cleaned and add a magnaflow or other and go for the longest warranty on a boiler to suit your needs.

If your going through so many combi boilers is a combi the best option for you or a system boiler and unvented tank.

Get a heating engineer round and see what he has to say then come back and let us all know to get some advice.

If I've learned one thing it's that every four or five years a manufacturer changes its design and offers something the others don't, either warranty or incentives to fitters to buy or recommend the, ease of maintanance, you get my drift.

Getting bored of Pizza Express now.... ;)

Exactly Luke!

As for the landlord dig Winston, why would a landlord need to be gas safe and fit boilers to enable them to give a recommendation .?

Anyway I'm leaving it there now as your other posts Winston really do sum you up for all pw'ers to see.

third time youve said that, your obviously not to be trusted

I can tell I'm not having a good day by the fact that I have allowed myself to get drawn into this willy swinging.

My background is that growing up my dad was/is a gas engineer, meaning I spent every weekend, half term, school holiday in and around plumbing and gas. At 18 I knew more about gas than most of the blokes in the merchants we went to and I had a total thirst for knowledge, reading and studying around it. At this point I was sent off to university (at my fathers insistence) and my gas days were over...for the time being.

Having worked in London property after university I spotted a gap in the market for an all round property services company, and ventured on my own to start one using the knowledge and contacts I had. Five years down the line we are doing well - and needless to say gas is a key part of our business.

Am I personally gas safe registered - no, and I am lucky that I don't need to be, I am now virtually hands off on that front. The side of gas I do see on a weekly basis is dealing with suppliers and manufacturers and finding the endless frustration of not having parts readily available, certain brands/models that we are called to and called back to, and the daily battle of tenants with no heating/hot water.

This has given me an insight into the brands that we will or won't recommend, as above, and whilst I am not gas safe registered I would say this entitles me to giving comment on what I would fit.

As an aside, my dad had been working with gas for five years before you were even born and he wouldn't ever come to a forum with the attitude that you do, and the condescending nature/contempt I have seen dished out to others.

That being said, he knows a wise man realises he knows nothing and a fool quite the opposite.

sounds like your wealth of knowledge is beyond reproach, tell me have you hit 30 yet?i mean all that work expierience on a weekend combined with uni and been "hands off" now sounds like you've lived and breathed it since you left the breast

sounds like your wealth of knowledge is beyond reproach, tell me have you hit 30 yet?i mean all that work expierience on a weekend combined with uni and been "hands off" now sounds like you've lived and breathed it since you left the breast

At no point did I say it was beyond reproach, in fact I said the complete opposite

30 next month, don't be too jealous that in that time I have become educated to degree level, started a successful business, and yet at 42 you're still someone else's pipe monkey whilst attempting to laud it over others on the internet.

Edited by LondonLuke

At no point did I say it was beyond reproach, in fact I said the complete opposite

30 next month, don't be too jealous that in that time I have become educated to degree level, started a successful business, and yet at 42 you're still someone else's pipe monkey whilst attempting to laud it over others on the internet.

hey if you don't understand sarcasm and have to resort to throwing insults, maybe your not that clever,..................I wonder how many people that insult hit by way of having to work for someone else,and i believe your trying to laud it over me, so in what way are you better than me boy?

Edited by Winston72

hey if you don't understand sarcasm and have to resort to throwing insults, maybe your not that clever,..................I wonder how many people that insult hit by way of having to work for someone else,and i believe your trying to laud it over me, so in what way are you better than me boy?

I struggle to take anyone seriously that can't differentiate between your and you're

Ironically it's the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****.