RH Shooter with left eye dominance help!!

I have not been using shotguns long, I have always used rifle but recently I have been taking out the shotty as I am really enjoying pigeon decoying. I am a right handed shooter with left eye dominance which is why I can’t hit much with the shotty, even easy close birds almost on the ground I sometimes miss!!! Haha. I need some ideas as to what I can do to get round this problem as I would hate to put the guns away and not use them??

Edited by Lucky Sniper

Guest Mick.j

Either close your left eye, or learn to shoot left handed.

You could also try to 'train' your right eye to be more dominant, but may not work out.

Thats it really

I have this problem. My left eye is very dominant and I am right handed. I have my left lens of my shooting glasses blanked out completely on the advice of my shooting instructor as that is the only thing that works for me.

It migh help to put a bit of vaseline on your left lens of your shooting glasses to blur it slightly see if that helps.

Before doing anything else, mount the gun on a mirror, close your left eye and aim at your right eye's reflection. What you're doing is making sure that your left eye is not being forced to take over as your right eye is obscured by the back of the action - stock too low - common problem with this sort of situation. Hopefully your eye will be sitting on the rib and you indeed have a dominant left eye. Lorius has one good answer but there's no need to obscure the whole of the left lens - a small patch placed so that your left eye vision is only blocked from its view of the barrels when the gun comes into your shoulder - at all other times you retain full 3D vision. Spare pair of prescription glasses if applicable or shooting glasses.

I have this problem and my solution:-

001_zpsotlov7qc.jpg

I had to eventually mask my whole lens, because we started with a small amount of the left lens opaqued and I was still looking round the opaque bit with my left eye. Eventually the whole lens had to be blanked off to stop me doing that. Hopefully it won't be that bad for Lucky Sniper.

If you're content, then that's all that matters. However, it is a tad unusual. As said, all that is necessary is to block the front half of the barrels as the gun comes into the shoulder permitting the shooting eye to take over. It sounds as though it's unable/struggling to do so and the left eye is still attempting to do the business. Just out of interest, have you ever tried my first suggestion in my post above or has your instructor ever asked you to 'shoot' him in the eye?

Not tried your solution. Might have a go at that.

You could try simply as a confidence booster but what you're looking for is exactly the same as the two instructors - your right eye with the left blocked in line with the rib and on or slightly above it and I'm sure they would have acted on it if there was something amiss.

Edited by wymberley

Hmmmm. I am right handed but left eye dominant but have shot guns or bows left handed since I was young. I cannot recall having to force myself to do this or that it felt odd. To me it feels right. Perhaps I am ambidextrous as I can use tools and paintbrushes etc left handed without feeling awkward.

My best friends dad observed this left handed shooting years ago. He was a shooter and naturally right handed like me but left eye dominant and he shot left handed. He said your body/brain should instinctively direct the weapon to the correct hand and thus the correct eye.

This can't be so for everyone though as I have come across right handers like me with left hand dominance who try to mount the gun left handed but do it so ungracefully and awkwardly that it is clear it does not come natural to them.

I'm the same as Katzenjammer. I even prefer a bolt action rifle with right handed bolt (the Browning T-bolt 0.22 was no problem at all for me).

The other alternative is, of course, the cross-over stock. Not popuplar with those that want/have to keep up with regular changes of shotgun, mind!

I got my shotgun fitted nearly 40 years ago. Can't get on with most others at all. Fitting and shooting from a natural stance is, IMO, a far better solution than making awkward adjustments.

RAB

I'm the same as Katzenjammer. I even prefer a bolt action rifle with right handed bolt (the Browning T-bolt 0.22 was no problem at all for me).

RAB

Yes me too, a distinct advantage on the resale side too. Just toying with the idea of buying one of those having handled one in my local gunshop. I find I can work the bolt with my left thumb for pulling back and pushing forward.

I am right handed and my left eye is slowly getting more dominant - I did start to use blurred lenses and closing one eye but I then read an article about shooting with both eyes open. Nick Penn near Hermitage in Newbury teaches it and I must admit after reading his article I did improve.

Both eyes open is not just about having both eyes open but about concentrating on the bird with both eyes wide open. Not getting distracted by lead or drop or background **** just the target and to relax. I will try and dig the article out if I can and post it here......

I am left handed and left eye dominant,but i shoot right handed.My shotgun shooting was sometimes frustrating,and it was only when i had contact lenses fitted about 8 months ago that the optician told me i was very left eye dominant.

The solution for me was because my far vision was good in both eyes ,i had a contact lens in my left eye for close vision, this results in distance objects in my left eye being blurred out, it is not noticeable until i close my right eye as your brain compensates.But the effect when i shoot the shotgun is great,it is along the lines of blanking out your lens.