employment contracts

Paddy Galore!

Hi gents,

some of you may remember me moaning about my contract a few months back. Anyhoo, I thought it had been sorted until today, when a new contract landed on the doormat with a subtle change to the terms. whereas I used to get overtime paid for weekend on call duty, the new contract states that I have to take time off in lieu instead.

any thoughts on this?

cheers,

Paddy

Guest cookoff013

Hi gents,

some of you may remember me moaning about my contract a few months back. Anyhoo, I thought it had been sorted until today, when a new contract landed on the doormat with a subtle change to the terms. whereas I used to get overtime paid for weekend on call duty, the new contract states that I have to take time off in lieu instead.

any thoughts on this?

cheers,

Paddy

the bad thing about this, is you end up at the end of the year with a billion days holiday. they did this at our place, several individuals ended up with more time in lieu than annual leave. if your employer has a time in lieu policy, ask for it. it should be clear as to what its conditions are.

its not quite a stitch up. but document everything.

we had guys work 38/wk hrs overtime, to have time in lieu, only to be told they didnt do it. claiming was an issue and using up this along side his annual leave became an issue.

check the company time in lieu policy. work to that.

Your boss is effectively telling you that you are now working weekends and unsocial hours for single time,if you are not actually contracted to work excess hours tell him to shove it next time they want you to work a weekend, oh and are you in one of them nasty union things?

KW

it's all a bit of a pita, I originally asked about being put on call out duty to earn some extra cash, thinking that i'd be on the same rates as the other guys (currently £35 per call out).

Unbeknown to me the gen manager had been fooling around with the idea that he'd just have us new guys on a rota of our own, I currently only do one Saturday in six, which financially isn't worth a toss but better than nothing. it was mentioned that we have time off in lieu but on reading the contract it clearly stated we were entitled to time plus fifty per cent. now he's got a bee up his anus about paying up and voila, a new contract arrives through the door with no notice or consultation. I don't really want anymore time off as we only do 39hrs as it is, i'd rather have the money :lol:

Think you would be entitled to one weeks notice for every complete year to a max of 12 weeks , I would be putting a grievance in saying it looks like discrimination as its only certain individuals that are be picked on other than that check with the cab, acas or your union

Think you would be entitled to one weeks notice for every complete year to a max of 12 weeks , I would be putting a grievance in saying it looks like discrimination as its only certain individuals that are be picked on other than that check with the cab, acas or your union

the union is useless, there are loads of different contracts , some are paid weekly, others monthly, some are on more money, others have more holiday or sick pay, the last half dozen of us get sweet fanny adams, all this has been brought up in meetings before and nothing gets done about it. I've pretty much made up my mind to leave, I've had a gutfull of the *****

Hate to high jack the thread but my partner is contracted part-time and was paid time and a half for any hours over this now the boss has turned around and said she will only be paid standard rate upto the number of hours as a full time worker then time and a half after. Is that kosher ? Doesn't seem fair to me

if you have a grievance say to them as with my old place they couldn't do anything straight away they had to wait 3 months unless every body agreed to the contract and if you are payed weekly you should only have to give a weeks notice same as monthly but theirs nothing stopping you walking out the door when you like it all depends if you want to leave on good terms or not as they cannot give you a bad reference if another employer phones them up good luck with your choice

happens all the time ,here too.sundays were double bubble,now time an half,saturdays were time and a half now time n a third.bank holidays were double bubble and a day off in lieu .now its normal shift rate and no day off .then overtime became mandatory till a couple off us dropped in HR and told them what the you/gov website said .its agreed between you n them not imposed they apologised but still these mandatory memos appear .their latest attitude being if you dont do it someone else will be doing it .we had to work most weekends last october/november with this hanging over us.good luck and remember the grass is usually greener as theres lotsa .... making it grow

It depends what your old contract had written into it... a variation term....flexibility clause...mobility clause which will determine what they can or cant do and whether they can initiate it straight away or give upto 90 days notice to change....

my views on this sort of thing are very extream

i dont think any amount of complaining or union speak or legal speak will ever change a managers mind once its made, r ight or wrong they will all ways continue down there choosen path.

pretty well all modern contracts of employment are only ever used AGAINST the person signing it and not to be used against the company issuing it.

in arbritration most contracts can be ripped to pieces by a proffesional, to either sides benifit and or who can pay them the most to win the case

singles and even groups of people are worthless faceless numbers in a room that has no soul or heart just cold hard figures and facts

all managers will forget your name within two weeks of you leaving and or someone else doing your job

and look after number one every time, never ever think about work above your own needs and wellfare. you and the family come first not the good of the firm

and lastly screw them, they will do it to you ten times over before you even think of it they will and all ways do win

as for the OP.

does it not state in the uk employment laws that you have to be given so many days notice of a change in contract and if you dont sign it you fall out of contract, and to what ends does that mean. i would suggest seeking legal and or proffessional help ,

the best advice is the one that you have paid for, free is not good

Hmmmm ... not sure if the best advice is the paid for one...

Ask any person on this site if they would reccomend wearing protection whilst visiting a lady of pleasure and the answer would be a resounding ...YES..... Good FREE advice..

Ask the women of pleasure if i need protection..... ' No Baby.... Im a clean Girl..... Dont worry.....'...... Paid for advice..... not necessarily that good.....

I company I know told the lads one driver has to leave unless they all go back to 30 hr contracts and they all agreed as none of them want to be loosing a job.

Things at the minute are still tough and companies are disappearing daily still so your (anyone) lucky to just have a job ;)

We've had the pension thing come through and it's going to kill us to pay it as we are only a small business of 5 people. We've been told to pay in even if the employee doesn't want to :(