SGC issue with no cabinet?

PaulJC

I'm thinking of putting in for my SCG but at the moment dont have anywhere to put a cabinet so it would just be to be able to use club guns unsupervised and to buy ammo in bulk to save money, is this feasible?

It'll also give me a chance to see if i'm going to get hooked on clays before i spend out any large sums of cash.

At this stage i guess there would be 1 maximum, and stored in the location of an upstairs bedroom, just wanted to see if the hobby would 'take off' for me before i pile money into it...

Edited by PaulJC

You can get a secondhand cabinet for £50 or so if you keep your eyes peeled, and shotguns can be anywhere from £free ...You'll get the money back on the cabinet if you give up, too.

Most FEO's want to see a cabinet. You might get a grant without, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Guest Mick.j

As has been said - Find someone who shoots (theres always someone who knows someone) and go with them a few times to see IF you will like it. OR go to your local club a few times for some tuition etc. Then you can decide if you want to actually take the sport up or not.

I have been to the local club and had a lesson and have a mate i'm going to go with in a couple of weeks and do enjoy it but to keep having lessons at £50-60ph is a bit silly when i could apply for SGC and buy some bulk ammo and use a club gun to shoot the same 50 rounds for £20 odd quid... My concern being will i go enough to warrant the outlay on a safe/gun/equipment when if i just obtained SGC without i could see how often i would go without any real initial outlay.

The cabinet cost isn't the issue, space is.... It could go in the loft at a push but i have heard that many forces are not too keen due to the old "whos going to want to go up in to the loft after a long days shooting argument" and it could also probably go in a friends cabinet but then access becomes an issue, if i do commit to it as a hobby then a cabinet and gun will be a given but is there any real rush to go out and buy my own?

I may have a spare trigger guard lock - bought it ages ago and never used it - I'll check and PM you.

If I can find it you are welcome to have it - better used than thrown away. Have a chat with your FEO and see if he'd accept it and then you are away with the mixer !

PM tomorrow.

Wow that would be awesome, i will send them an email on Monday...

My only other real option for cabinet mounting would be longways attached to a brick wall against the ceiling as in a kind of 'top shelf' arrangement, but i should imagine that the weight involved and the ability for someone to insert a pry bar against the ceiling and hang off it would rule this out as a viable mounting option?

Edited by PaulJC

There is no requirement in law for a gun cabinet to keep your guns in. The Firearms act requires "adequate security", and this does not need to be a cabinet.

Whilst a cabinet properly secured, BS standard, and not viewable through any ground floor window should automatically meet the needs of a risk assessment at a place of storage, its is also possible that a gun that is wired or clamped to a wall, beam, joist etc. will meet the requirements, particularly if that's within a locked environment, ie, locked wardrobe, room, loft, under-stairs, basement etc.

There are also instances of gun cabs actually located outside providing sufficient security, so its really a case of getting the FEO around and discussing all the options.

Lock isnt where I thought it was so need to look through some boxes - we are in the middle of a move. I'll get back to you when I find it.

Cheers

No problem at all, thanks for looking, the loft may be a viable option if bolting to the rafters is classed as secure enough ;)

I'm going to email them regarding options and will fill my application out accordingly, i agree that having a cabinet is a sensible option and have now seen quite a few knocking about for cheap money so if it'll make the process easier it's worth considering.

• 1 month later...

Well i submitted my application a few weeks ago (6th), Recieved a letter back from them on the 10th requesting a Doctor's medical report to get clarification of some previous medical problems which i expected and i dropped that into my surgery Friday just gone (12th) and today i missed a call from my local FLO wanting to make arrangements for my home visit and interview, i've left him a message in return so hopefully over the next few days we'll set a date for that to happen, all seems to be going ok so far so fingers crossed :)

I've opted not to purchase or fit a cabinet just yet and will seek the advice of the FLO on security and placement when he visits, i would much rather things be 'done right' in the eyes of my local licensing team than rush in to doing something for it to have to be redone again later on.

Thanks again for all the advice, i'll keep you posted :)

If you read his first post he's asking if he can get a SGC without owning a gun ( use club guns ) and buy ammo in bulk YES HE CAN..

people come straight back and start on about getting a gun and safe,,,he stated he wanted to try the sport before he spends a lot of money on gear ...

Best of luck PaulJC I'm sure the feo will give you the right advise...

Edited by hawkeye