vet shoots cat with arrow

RoBeRt1990

Just seen this on sky news think it was a feral, seems harsh losing her job.

Doesn't seem harsh to me, vets are supposed to have animal welfare as their top priority. Shooting a cat with an arrow and then boasting about it what did she expect.

Edited by ordnance

I bet the treatment that cat got didn't cost exactly the same amount as a new set of tyres on a Porsche 911 that the vet owns costs. Around my way if a vet sticks his fingers up your dogs nought it costs approximately the same as a service on his 911 Carrera 4s which is lucky for him.

Good girl if it was feral then she hasn't done anything wrong. Bow hunting is legal over there it's humane and no different to vets here shooting and lots do

That was what I thought killing a feral cat legally doesn't mean she shouldn't be a veterinarian if so is no one who is a vet aloud to shoot game etc?

How do you tell a feral from someones pet. They don't all wear collars.

if it is anywhere near a pheasant/partridge pen it is feral ...

if it runs it is guilty

if it doesnt run it is loitering.......and also guilty

if it looks at you funny it is either about to run or has run recently...which means it is also guilty

if it is anywhere near a pheasant/partridge pen it is feral ...

if it runs it is guilty

if it doesnt run it is loitering.......and also guilty

if it looks at you funny it is either about to run or has run recently...which means it is also guilty

Ha ha ha lmao, bit silly putting on face ache , but also perfectly legal in that part of the world,

Tab

Flynny

If vets have to destroy animals then it should be done as humanely as possible, a .22 rimfire or air rifle rifle would be much more accurate than a bow and arrow with less chance of injuring the animal causing unnecessary suffering. Most become vets to care for and look after animals and would see having to destroy animals as the downside of their job, and not something to boast about and enjoy like she seems to.

Edited by ordnance

If vets have to destroy animals then it should be done as humanely as possible, a .22 rimfire or air rifle rifle would be much more accurate than a bow and arrow with less chance of injuring the animal causing unnecessary suffering. As most become vets to care for and look after animals and would see having to destroy animals as the downside of their job and not something to boast about.

???

I dinae think she was ethanasing the cat, well not proffessionally atleast.

Not sure the law in USA but it may be perfectly legal to do wot she has done, like others have said as bow hunting is legal not much difference tha a vet who shoots or stalks here.

Do u really think it would be more humane to shoot a cat with an air rifle??

Now i'm not into bow hunting but some of those bows are very accurate in the right hands and generate a massive ammount of force esp if combining with hunting broad arrow heads. I mean some bow hunters tackle everything in USA (elk, white tail to bear) as well as dangerous game in africa, not many airguns will do that.

Not sure if i agree with her losing her job (esp if everything is legal) but not the brightest thing to do even if legal. (How did she pass her vet exams yet stupid enough to think that was a good idea)

How would some old grany feel when u ask her to look at 'tiddles' for her.

So can understand why the practice felt it had to sack her as she could cost them a lot of work

It seems the cat was not feral as some lady on the same street claimed it was her cat, the picture of the vet holding a cat up with arrow through it's head does look a lot like the photo the owner has of her cat. after reading these posts I get the impression some folk think it ok for a vet over here in good old blighty to shoot a cat if they THINK it's feral? What next, how about shooting at a set of eyes under a lamp if you THINK it's a fox!? Pulling the trigger and hoping for the best is it? How many on here would accept an apology off someone if they shot your dog, then said "sorry mate, I thought it was a fox!!?

Edited by foosa

I always try to consider how I would feel if someone shot my pet. They are part of my family and I would have a very definite view and response should someone do that to one of mine.

Just claiming something is feral doesn't make it so. She was incredibly stupid to boast about it on FB. I don't know who owns half the cats I see regularly, but I don't automatically assume they are feral. It's a very hard thing to know in an urban setting.

As for losing her job, as has been mentioned, I wouldn't want anyone working at my practice who boasted about shoting cats for fun. The lost business could be horrendous.

ATB

Do u really think it would be more humane to shoot a cat with an air rifle??

Yes a brain shot with a FAC air rifle would be more humane because of its accuracy you are less likely to injure the animal. A cat would have no problem moving after hearing the arrow being fired making it more likely for a miss or wounding the animal. A cat's brain is a very small target do you know many that can consistently hit a target that small at distance with a bow and arrow.

The Texas Penal Code states that killing a cat, feral or not, can lead to felony charges with the offender has previously been convicted of cruelty to nonlivestock animals, a Class A misdemeanour.

Does this look humane to you.

Edited by Cranfield

I always try to consider how I would feel if someone shot my pet. They are part of my family and I would have a very definite view and response should someone do that to one of mine.

Just claiming something is feral doesn't make it so. She was incredibly stupid to boast about it on FB. I don't know who owns half the cats I see regularly, but I don't automatically assume they are feral. It's a very hard thing to know in an urban setting.

As for losing her job, as has been mentioned, I wouldn't want anyone working at my practice who boasted about shoting cats for fun. The lost business could be horrendous.

ATB

Perhaps if cat owners did not simply allow cats to run about freely, this issue would not have arisen, I agree she was stupid in boasting about it.and the use of a x bow was to me not the best way to start with.

KW

Edited by kdubya

AFAIA cats are not subject to the same roaming laws as dogs, certainly that's the case the UK. It might be different in the U.S. There is a reason for that as I'm sure you know KW.

I don't understand why anyone would shoot a pet unless they were protecting livestock etc. Unfortunately some seem to have this irrational hatred for cats. I like cats, I like dogs. Individuals of both species can be obnoxious, but I don't hate them. How can an intelligent human being hate a dumb animal? It is what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

Having shot dogs on two occasions. I can definitely say I never felt the need to bragg about it. In fact I seem to remember the overwhelming emotion was one of anger at the owners for not controlling their pets, one after I had warned them of the consequences.

ATB

Foosa i dinae think anyone is saying it is ok to shoot a cat in this country and anyone defending it is in relation to american laws. No idea wot they are in relation to cats, and as is often typical there seems to be a bit off desputed info on wether cat is owned or not?

In this country ur on very dodgy ground shooting any cat including feral.

In many countries a cat is considered vermin/fair game whe not on the owners property, so perfectly legal to shoot a cat as soon as it steps of the owners property. Germany for example cats are considered fair game and a few hpr breeds have to kill a cat as part of breed standard before there allowed to breed from them.

Possibly moving the law more that way would be a god thing in this country, cats can and do cause carnage to local bird populations.

Is it really fair that a keeper on a wild bird shoot can work tirelessly killing crows stoats and foxes but is not allowed to touch all the cats that can freely roam from houses killing at will, not as if there even doing it to survive

IF it is legal to do wot she has done in theory no diferent to standing with a dead bow shot deer, but life is not so simple and as a vet pretty stupid thing to do.

Ordanace u never mentioned FAC airs and even with 1 of them ur kidding urself if u think its a suitable weapon (very light pellet) i'm sure there is far more pictures of cats shot with airgun pellets all over them in xrays.

A proper bow with a hunting head u can shoot to the chest area, if u can humanely kill loins with one do u really think not upto the job of killing a tiny cat.

None of the photos u showed are hunting arrows. If people are going to be cruel u can be cruel with all sorts o things.

Perhaps if cat owners did not simply allow cats to run about freely, this issue would not have arisen, I agree she was stupid in boasting about it.and the use of a x bow was to me not the best way to start with.

KW

are you saying it's the owners fault that cats get shot?because they let them run about freely! I hope that no pigeon fanciers read this then or they would be worried stiff next time they race their birds, believing that us shooters think any animals let to run free are fair game Edited by foosa

Ordanace u never mentioned FAC airs and even with 1 of them ur kidding urself if u think its a suitable weapon (very light pellet) i'm sure there is far more pictures of cats shot with airgun pellets all over them in xrays

I don't think they should be shot with anything. If you don't think a FAC air rifle is capable of a cleanly kinilig a cat you don't know much about air rifles. As I said a rim fire would be more suitable I only mentioned air rifles because rim fires are not always suitable to use. I had an air ranger air rifle in .25 at 60 ft/lbs do you think it would not cleanly kill a cat. We are not talking about people randomly going around putting pellets in cats, we are talking about vets using the most humane method to destroy an animal. Something the vast majority of vets would want to do, I doubt many if any would say a bow and arrow would be the best method. I am surprised some are trying to defend this, maybe I shouldn't be.

None of the photos u showed are hunting arrows.

Scotslad,

I hear what you're saying, what buggs me about this sort of thing is the act of shooting an animal without properly identifying it, be it feral cat, fox, dog, pet cat, in any country, that is not acceptable behaviour. I don't think shooting a pet cat is legal where this incident with the vet took place or it wouldn't be investigated. I also feel your pain about the keeper who works tirelessly and cannot do a thing about cats. you never know, if they did change the law on that one maybe they could include raptors in the bill? They certainly gave our shoot a kicking last year! however, the law is the law.

Edited by foosa

are you saying it's the owners fault that cats get shot?because they let them run about freely! I hope that no pigeon fanciers reird this then or they would be worried stiff next time they race their birds, believing that us shooters think any animals let to run free are fair game

I think that a lot of cat owners keep their cats as part time pets and the moggy gets put out to wander and basically live wild for a large part of the day and/or night which to me seems irresponsible , which I think is the point he was trying to make.