new job, interview

Paddy Galore!

Hi Ladies and Gents, I applied for a damp surveyors job a few weeks back and surprisingly they've asked me to attend an interview, I wasn't really expecting to get a foot in but I guess I must have either impressed them with my covering letter, or they've had booger all response :lol:

the problem is, I have a brain injury and I really struggle in interviews, the technical stuff i'm fairly au fait with, it's just the rest of the schmooze I tend to fall down on, any advice?

cheers,

Paddy.

Just be honest with them and explain your predicament from the off... If they cant accept it or judge you for it then do you really want to work for them.

Better this way than them find out you might have a slight impediment later.

I you don't do this and you fail miserably in interview because of it you wont have lost anything.

I've interviewed over a hundred candidates over the years and can tell when they are not being completely honest or when they might be nervous.

Best of luck, hope you get it :yes: .

All anyone can do at interview is try to establish technical competence by asking questions and you either know the answers or don't, so no point in worrying about that bit.

The rest of the interview they are trying to establish what sort of person you are and if you will be a good fit for their team. The very best advice is just to be yourself as if you get the job you have to live with it and you can't pretend to be something you're not long term. Nobody knows you better than you do and there is no right or wrong answer so you are really in the best position.

Everyone expects a bit of nervousness so don't worry about being nervous, there is every chance the people interviewing will be more nervous than you, it is a difficult thing to do as they are also judged on their choice so make it easy for them.

Be yourself, answer the questions asked, don't pretend to be something you're not and don't pretend to know something you don't. It is just a chat.

Very best of luck

Edited by grrclark

None of your posts on here suggest that you have a brain injury. As Ozzy says, ask open questions. The more you get them to talk the less you will have to. Look upon it as you're interviewing them and their business rather than them interviewing you.

Smile and try to enjoy the whole experience.

Good luck.

Mark

Having interviewed a lot in the past year for positions a couple of things stand out for me.

1) Ask questions about the role once they have given the general run through of the job it establishes rapport. Nothing has killed interviews faster for me than someone who when we have given an overview of the job cant think of anything to ask about it.

2) As has been mentioned above know about the company it gives you questions to ask and makes it look like you give a damn.

3) This is a personal one for me dress smartly. I know this should be an obvious one by its still amazes me that for some reasonably technical jobs looking for graduates we still get people turning up in white trainers ect for me it just shows a lack of effort/ respect. In most cases you have nothing to lose by showing you can make the effort.

4) Again the best candidates I have employed/ interviewed if they don't have experience of the specific role have been the ones who have been the most open / chatty as you are trying in that 30-60 minutes to find out what sort of person they are. Candidates that sit there giving single word answers and not asking questions give me nothing to work with as to finding out who they are and how they would fit in with the team.

Hope this helps

Cheers Neil

I took advice of these guys

If you listen to them you won't go far wrong , comments about the way you write and spelling , if I could put things down half the way you can (thank god for auto spell) I'd be happy ,

I got my job love it and I work for the worlds biggest power rental company, if I can do it you can, chin up ask questions relax ,one question I was told to ask was ,wot are you looking for in the job role you have advertised , one manager said some one like you , both interviews for me lasted 5and1/2 hours

You will be fine

Edited by bullet1747

Hi Ladies and Gents, I applied for a damp surveyors job a few weeks back and surprisingly they've asked me to attend an interview, I wasn't really expecting to get a foot in but I guess I must have either impressed them with my covering letter, or they've had booger all response :lol:

the problem is, I have a brain injury and I really struggle in interviews, the technical stuff i'm fairly au fait with, it's just the rest of the schmooze I tend to fall down on, any advice?

cheers,

Paddy.

just imagine the interviewer is sitting on the toilet.

Every employer knows that You can train a rat do do quite difficult and complex tasks but not one of them wants to employ anyone with the personality of a rat.

People buy into people................present yourself as the personable individual you clearly are. Someone that can communicate with others on many levels. That's what they're actually looking for.

Qualifications, and letters after your name count for very little at the interview stage if they don't like you as a person.

Look at the response you've generated here, if you really didn't know how to present yourself or communicate with 'strangers' (albeit in text form), none of us would have bothered to respond and offer their support.

You've done the hard part by selling yourself without them ever speaking or seeing you. Many would have fallen at the first hurdle.

relax, smile and try to enjoy the experience. And most importantly......be yourself.

All the best

Edited by Suffolkngood

http://jobs.theguardian.com/careers/interview-advice/

If you are a little uncomfortable at the prospect of the job interview why not try a few dry runs in front of the mirror where any initial incoherent blather is between only you and it, then get either the wife or a friend to take over the mirror’s role until you perfect your technique. If you really want the job do a lot of prep work on what you perceive as your weak points so that these are strengthened by the time of the interview and that you yourself no longer see them as a weakness. Good luck in your efforts and remember that,

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”

Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards

Thank you everyone for all the advice and support, i'm working on a few bullet points that i'm hoping to use in the interview. i'll give it a dry run with the wife when I've got some sort of plan together. I already work for the company and this is a step up the ladder, albeit not much more of a pay rise yet but the start of something more meaningful than just turning up on site and bitching about the boss :lol:

As for the injury it's a little hard to understand just by reading a post or two, It can take me a while to write stuff and thank heaven for spell checker! An actual face to face conversation is a different matter entirely, you all know the feeling of having a word on the tip of your tongue but can't quite remember? I get that almost constantly, it's infuriating! Which only seems to make it worse, I then stammer a bit, then clam up completely, not the best recipe for conversation and disastrous in an interview.

Having said that I'm not a complete gibbering wreck and have good days along with the bad, being anxious seems to be a trigger, I might just pop a couple of valium on the morning :good:

thanks again,

Paddy.

• 2 weeks later...

hi gents, I thought i'd better give you all an update as you all took the time to reply with help and advice.

well, it was a complete and utter waste of ******* time, they already had their eyes on a guy from another department, he was in the office doing the job when I went for my interview. I don't know why I bother :lol:

Sorry you didn't get it (assuming you wanted it)

Send 'em an invoice for time wasted,

Ok it won't get paid, but makes the point :good:

Did this when local Morrisons interviewed me for a job she'd already given to a part timer 4 days earlier.

Same HR lady now scuttles off if she sees me in the shop and hangs up if she rings here looking to speak to Mrs TD

Edited by TaxiDriver

thanks, it's ok really. they just boil my pee sometimes. three times this job has gone up, the last two times they had someone lined up, this time I asked my guvnor if it was the same scenario and who was doing the job ad hoc now, he was a little cagey but said no one was lined up for it, I just don't understand why they're so "secret squirrel" about it all.