Shaving

Brixsmaid

I still use the good old double edged razor even though I am mainly bearded - perfectly adequate and I can shave without soap when tidying up the cheeks and neck. Never had a rash.

I visited the Wilkinson factory in Cramlington years ago as part of my job. The guy was describing the razor industry and couldn't understand why I burst out laughing when he solemnly said that it was a very cut throat industry with small margins. :lol:

Edited by Katzenjammer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest newarcher1

Thanks to all - some good precise answers - just what I wanted, I'll get some gear ordered, after which the lack of further posts will be due to the loss of blood :lol:

before your 1st shave write your blood group on your fore head, and your next of kin it saves the paramedics time

Edited by newarcher1

Jeeeez-you chaps have too much time on your hands-quick squirt of Tesco shave gel-wiz over with a Wilkinson sword hydro5 ( normally pay about £25 for 6 5 packs with one blade easily lasting a week) and jobs done- the blades can be pressed directly onto your skin without the safety strip and you ain't gonna get a closer shave.

• 3 weeks later...

Well a few weeks in and surprisingly no visits to casualty yet!!

Thanks to Mat (Salop Sniper) I've extended my blade trial to Derbys, Astra SP Greens and Feathers and my initial results are:

1. Astra SP Greens

2. Derbys

3. Feathers ( bit too sharp for my skin so far!!)

I'll try a few more variations on the blades, but so far a much superior shave, wish I'd done this years ago.

Thanks to all who contributed - always get good advice from the PW massif.

Well in, I'm a huge fan of Israeli made blades but I've used Astra and feather to similar effect.

Brilliant shave with a DE razor if you have the time.

Which blades - I'm still trying out different blades?

All this talk of real shaves is tempting me to ditch the Gillette....

Question is, can it be safely done at 0500!

I now shave in the evenings - less rush - less blood :lol: But the shave is so much closer and last most of the day!!

Bic orange and imperial leather, or any other lubricant , hell I've even used shower gel in the past lol

Job done, you bunch of fairies, next you'll be manicuring your nails lol

Atb

Flynny

:lol:

makes me wonder...

how long will it be before someone owns up to using one of those "No No" hair remover gadgets

Bic orange and imperial leather, or any other lubricant , hell I've even used shower gel in the past lol

Job done, you bunch of fairies, next you'll be manicuring your nails lol

Atb

Flynny

lol I must admit that when I did the whole wet shave routine I never found a better razor than the old Bic disposable. I do tend to think that all these extra blades razors are just a way of seperating people from their money.

When I want a proper shave, I use one of the vintage (cheap off evilbay) straight razors I steralized and honed, but mostly I've not time for all that, so merkur double edge razor with feather blades gets the job done quickly and with less penalty for inattention. Geo f trumper shave soap makes the blades glide and softens the hair.

For shaving my balls I use a machete, like all the pigeonwatch faithful.