Real Log Cabin.... anyone built one ?

Keith RW

ok so its an idea ive had for years but now seriously considering it for in a few years time and would like to consider putting plans together, has any one on here ever done this or considered it, looking for a supplier of real log type cabins that will stand the test of time and two or three bedrooms regards size, not your big garden shed type with 10 years garantee.

any pointers much appreciated.

I think about £70k off the top of my head, including assembly. That was for a 40x20 3 bedroom (one en suite) large kitchen diner and lounge.

That's pretty good I guess, a little more than I was thinking but presumably these things are well insulated and water tight due to their more usual placement?

Would like to think that one could be purchased and "assembled" somewhat cheaper having spent a little time in one or two holiday wise in the past couple of years and maybe around the £50k mark but still researching, having already spied some land the biggest problem I envisage right now are the "services" ... cesspit easily sorted nowadays, gas or oil for fuel but unsure regards electricity and water, I have a friend in Ireland that sunk a well which maybe an option but the electricity stumps me at present as solar panels might help during daylight but unless that energy can be stored then I'm not sure what other options are...

Son in law of a workmate builds them from scratch, in New Zealand. He does it for a living. I have only seen loads of pic's of his work but can ask if he has any plans if you like?

That would be great...especially as the topic seems to be attracting attention

Look to north America/canada

That is where I got the idea a couple of years ago having spent a week on a ranch in British Columbia Canada for a week in a cabin that would have withstood anything here in the UK could throw at it, solid as a rock made from timbers up to two foot in diameter and not a splinter or crack in sight, put a big enough concrete slab down and off we go......

Would like to think that one could be purchased and "assembled" somewhat cheaper having spent a little time in one or two holiday wise in the past couple of years and maybe around the £50k mark but still researching, having already spied some land the biggest problem I envisage right now are the "services" ... cesspit easily sorted nowadays, gas or oil for fuel but unsure regards electricity and water, I have a friend in Ireland that sunk a well which maybe an option but the electricity stumps me at present as solar panels might help during daylight but unless that energy can be stored then I'm not sure what other options are...

That would be great...especially as the topic seems to be attracting attention

With the solar panels can you not have them on a battery system,so while you are out working during the daytime they are charging them up.then when you get in on a night you flick the switch over to use the power out of the batteries.

a PV solar panel system allows you to add as many batteries as needed for night time power supply. We have just had some installed on an office conversion to 16 flats. The engineer said the nine panels and two 5kw batteries will easily cope with all the communal lighting inside and out and feed back to the grid.

With the solar panels can you not have them on a battery system,so while you are out working during the daytime they are charging them up.then when you get in on a night you flick the switch over to use the power out of the batteries.

From what I figure so far and bashing ideas around on the power side of things,general lighting can be run on 12v systems from power stored in batteries or accumulators, these were not very efficient a while back but pretty sure improvements have been made over the years, not sure regards security lighting though which tends to be a little brighter and more powerfull, other appliances which are usually 240v need research, caravaners make use of smaller scale appliances such as fridges and tv's, dont know whats out there on larger scale or such as washing machine front.....plot is out in the sticks with no services at all right now so really have to get the thinking cap on and do research ....

From batteries all manner of 240v stuff can be run thru inverters, a common system on narrowboats. Our TV, DVD Microwave lighting phone chargers,laptops etc.

Just looking at inverters now, seems there are all manner of sizes out there to do the job, would be great if the overall plan could be eco friendly and self efficient once installed

If the plot is right out there in the sticks, what about an older lister type generator to run on WVO?

Considered have one of those set ups for back up and anything extra that I might want to run, but again and realistically it would probobly suffice in majority of circumstances as they can charge cells up also and then make use of inverter.

Just looking at inverters now, seems there are all manner of sizes out there to do the job, would be great if the overall plan could be eco friendly and self efficient once installed

that can be done mate leisure battery's to inverter then one of these http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131514674072?nav=SEARCH back to battery's my dad lives off grid and has the same set up works great plus have a generator has backup Edited by martyn2233

I stay at a cottage in the middle of Wales with no power to it. It has a generator in a small building about 50 yards from the house this charges a big block of batteries which supply lights, tv and all the other bits and pieces. It is rigged up so that when the batteries need a bit of power the generator kicks in night or day and it being away from the house you can't even hear it.

If you have found a plot in the sticks where you could get planning permission for a 3 bed cabin then I'm truly jealous. Sounds a great thing to do!

Had the plan in my head for 30 years..... just found a plot that "may" be viable so looking into purchasing it for when I retire.... hopefuly will be fit enough then and funds available after having given the best years to "employment"..... just got to convince the other half now what an oportunity it really is and to escape because unless you do get a lotto win then getting a hold of one already done is out of the question and not going to happen.....

Make sure you source wood from the coldest country possible-it grows slower and is far better for building. My daughter lives in a cabin in our garden-made from pine sections so not really a log cabin as such but it has a 20 year warranty on it but you have to apply preservative stain every 2 years.