What Cammo????

murrayfuk

going to buy new cammo for spring/summer can anyone reccomend which is best (Realtree,Superflague,mossy oak,dpm)

i generally do a lot of barn work for the vast amount of pig farms in my area but im venturing out into the open this springtime

any ideas will help

cheers

Murray

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get on the web and punch in Army surplus. last year I bought 3/4 length gortex DPM jacket and Gortex over trousers for less than 100 sovs. Proper stuff not this over priced, soft poofy feel **** with arty farty leaf prints. ( They will be doing hand cream next) Advantage what bloody advantage???

If its good enough for the best Army in the world mate its good enough for me. But then again its up to you, if you want to look like a American Moose Hunter get the expensive stuff.

FM. <_<

Hi all,

I buy my cammo gear in Greece when on holiday.jacket & trousers £20,reinforced at the knees ,elbows, & the seating area .Try going into oneof the hunting shops there . I also bought some good "double" cartridge belts i.e. carries 61 cartridges, about £8 as i remember about 2-3years a

go regards baikiel boy :):D

Hi,

I had an experience one day for a about 3 month ago. I was standing in my garden dressed in full Mossy Oak Break-Up camo and were standing next to a tree in the garden, not against it. The neighbours cat entered my garden and walk right by me within 2 feet length. It did not see me at all and I were standing motionless.

So I think it is a good camo pattern for hunting and all that talk about these camo patterns don´t work very good, I simply don´t believe that. This experience showed me that I can trust my MO-BU, just you keep as still as possible near quarry.

I also think a guillie suit is good camo, but still you need to be completely motionless to make it work

Cheers - BOLTA

Hi

My own favorite is German Flectarn. Ive been it using through the last year and I have most wild life past within clubing rang of me when I sat still and quiet. I even managed to get within 20 yards of a stag but that was more luck than managment.

:)

• 10 months later...

Depending on what kind of shooting you do id argue that the material of the camo garment and the noise it gives off is more important than the camo itself.

The last thing you want is a noisy jacket. Stay away from anything with a PVC outer. It will be nice and water proof but you wont be able to get near any live quarry.

Id agree that some of the realtree/advantage timber/mossy oak prints are pretty impressive.

To they human eye they help conceal more effectively than the regular army surplus camo.

If youve got the money id go for a good quality garment in a realtree pattern from the states. Even if you get stung for import duty it should work out reasonable compared to UK prices

Im not knocking reugular camo or army supluss gear, the german/russian stuff looks very good value for money.

To they human eye they help conceal more effectively than the regular army surplus camo.

And if they work for the human eye they work for an animals eye.

I say this because the human sees the tree and they see the jacket, they blend together. Even if the animal sees things completely differently to us the change of both items will be the same so it will blend.

Did anyone get that? I know what i mean!

N_S

You don’t get better than the standard UK DPM pattern camo gear.

The Army has spent many many pounds on trailing all kinds of clothing and it’s the DPM gear that has come up trumps every time in our climate.

The temperate climate of the UK ensures that our countryside foliage is made up of greens browns and blacks which the DPM pattern all include, the Army issue clothing is also impregnated with an infrared reflectant substance, now this isn’t an issue during the day but at night when enemies are using infrared imaging equipment it helps the clothing blend in to its surroundings.

Take into account a guy using an image intensifier sight on a rifle and the fact that nocturnal animals eyes are more tuned to the infrared part of the electro magnetic spectrum then it’s the only type I would use.

The likes of advantage clothing can beat DPM in a few locations but overall the DPM pattern is the best, ask the Defence Research Agency.

The PM

Hi Pigeon master,

First of all. DPM is made to be used at 200-300 yards ranges. At these ranges looked with the human eyes the pattern will blend with nature and conceal humans if they not move. Going to 50-100 yards with DMP it will not blend as well in nature looked with human eyes.

Second. DPM has not a 3-dimensional pattern effect so animals will easier see humans wearing this type of camouflage. In this matter a ghilliesuit will be better then hiding a person. But again the most important thing here is movement.

The other camo patterns like Realtree, Mossy Oak etc. have a small advantage over DMP because of the 3-dimensional effect - BUT movement is the important factor here.

Third. If a NV unit is used at night the best camouflage for persons is simply an olive green suit - just that plain and simple. Because you will get a green picture from the NV and olive green will blend with nature then looked through such a device. Other patterns will stand more out than plain olive green colour.

Fourth. NV equipment can not pick up heat waves from humans. Some thermal sights can do this but many of these thermal devices can only detect heat waves from hotter things like running cars and fires etc.

Besides, good thermal devices are not available to the civillian market.

Cheers - Bolta

Bolta,

I'm not saying what you're saying is all untrue but I've spent three years of my past Army career testing trailing and using all types of clothing, surveillance equipment such as image intensifiers and thermal imagers from all over the world.

You mentioned DPM is used at concealing a man at 200-300 yards, this is not the case due to the optics of many recce units across the world can reduce this distance with no trouble.

You comment on the best clothing to wear is a plain olive suit, foliage reflects infrared light very differently compared to clothing hence the reason Army issue clothing is impregnated with infrared reflectant properties making it look very similar to foliage at night.

I know Image intensifiers cannot pick up heat as they work in the near infrared part of the spectrum unlike thermal imagers that work in the far end part of the spectrum. I have used every thermal imaging sight in the world including thermal weapon sights, which can differentiate between .05 of a degree. These are not common issue I know but the do exist.

My last comment is about the eyesight of most animals that we all hunt; the eyes of most animals we hunt have much better nocturnal vision than humans. This is because their eyes have more cones compared to rods, which give them better low light capabilities.

The down side of this is definition of image. Their eyes are more tuned to movement where our eyes are tuned towards resolution and depth perception. Before I get to deep into this subject I can tell you that it doesn’t matter to an animal if your camo is 3D or not because you are thinking about it from a humans eye sight and animals are very different, such as the rabbit and fox.

The PM

Wow I started to get carried away there I think. I hope you take no offence mate.

Hi pigeon master,

I will still say DPM was meant to used at 200-300 yards looked with the human naked eye and NOT with animal eyes. This is completely true and many others military camo patterns is made for this too - it is on the battle field military forces need camouflage and not close by an animal that can both hear you and smell you and probably see you too.

One thing more about military camo vs. civilian camo (which in fact military forces are beginning to sturdy and use) if this type of camo didn´t work no people will spend their hard earned money on this type of clothes - so clearly the clothes is working.

About NV equipment. Funny this seems, I have done tests myself with Gen. 3 equipment and found that olive green color is the best camouflage to use at night time viewed from such a device.

Now there is something I don´t understand you say that NV can not pick up heat waves from humans but then you say it can pick up heat waves from foliage. You better explain this better. NV equipment can only detect light from either the stars, the moon or from artificiall light not heat waves - so I can not see what anti-IR impregnated clothes should do much good viewed with only a NV device ?

I have seen heat pictures from small handheld thermal devices that really show that heat waves can be completely removed from persons wearing anti-IR suits but I can hardly see this has anything to do with NV devices because they won´t be able to detect heat waves.

And I can really not see why such anti-IR clothes should do much good in normal hunting situations because animals (most of them) will no way could detect any IR waves from humans unless we are few inchs away from them or directly touching them. To me this information is completely ******** and has nothing what so ever to do with hunting either in broad daylight or at night time.

Plus you can many times point IR light directly to the eyes of animals and they won´t react - they can simply not see IR light.

Eye sight of many animals are better than humans at night BUT not all animals. Most animal eyes react on movement as you correctly say and therefor I have all the time said that THIS is the most important fact in hunting. You can wear what ever camouflage suit you like but if you move at the wrong time you will get spotted.

Cheers - Bolta

Bolta,

Where did I mention you can see heat signatures through NVG sights or weapon sights, its impossible as they work at different parts of the spectrum.

You then mention that I said NV equipment could pick up heat from foliage, I think not as the ambient temperature of foliage is going to be the same, as its surroundings so I guess you should read in a little more detail my friend.

As for the IR impregnated clothing, It’s a chemical that is added to assist in making the clothing blend in when viewed through an image intensifier not a thermal imager.

I didn’t say animals would react to a IR light source when pointed at them but they can detect infrared light dependant on what level of nanometres the light source produces.

I think we have left the basis of hunting and gone into the technical side of what we are talking about, which is good I guess because you cannot beat a good discussion.

The PM

Hi again pigeon master,

I am quite sure that MOST animals like for example foxes or especially rabbits can not detect or see any form for IR light or heat - I have never seen them running around with NV or thermal devices. So in the end I can´t see that any form for IR-blend or anti-IR suits will do any good in hunting situations !!!

Out from this we can conclude that DPM are no better hunting clothes than other camouflage clothes such as Realtree, Predator, Mossy Oak or even plain dark and green clothes. It all comes down to one thing again - MOVEMENT at the right time !!!

What you may not know is that some birds and maybe some animals too can detect UV light comming from other animals or for that matter humans. Here again the IR-blend suits will do you no good either.

Actually, I would very much like some information about this statement you put up that animals can see or feel IR light or heat for that matter because it is the first and hopeful the last time I am going to hear such **** It is so easy to come with that information without having anything to back it up with. So come with that info, please.

Also remember we are only talking hunting here and NOT combat situations there two or more parties have NV or thermal devices to detect and see each other with.

Cheers - Bolta