Crow & Rook control

I've been asked to try & control the blackies on a nearby golf course, that is having its greens torn up by the crows (what do you reckon they're after)? By all accounts they're making one hell of a mess!

I've told the greenkeeper that to decoy them to within range & shotgun them would probably be the best method, & he was fine with that :rolleyes: we've just got to be of the course at 8.20 when the golfers arrive. So a nice early start as they're coming out of there nearby roosting wood.

Has anyone had any experiance of crow control over a golf course?

And why are they tearing up the greens?

Cheers SS

stick a few deeks out and use a crow call it usually works for me.if you give them a bad enough pasting they will soon get the message.be sure and build the hide early so the birds dont see you.if the course is near the rookery it will be hard.try and get permission for roost shoots they are great fun

There is loads of rooks on my golf course actually alongside 200 odd rabbits but unfortunately the club is rented from a hotel chain. Which, regardless of the amazing amount of damage being caused have refused to let anyone shoot on the course. Apparently, even me being a member won't be allowed on! Next time I go down and should I bump into the course manager I may mention it to him but apparently its a no go. :rolleyes:

I've been asked to try & control the blackies on a nearby golf course, that is having its greens torn up by the crows (what do you reckon they're after)? By all accounts they're making one hell of a mess!

I've told the greenkeeper that to decoy them to within range & shotgun them would probably be the best method, & he was fine with that :rolleyes: we've just got to be of the course at 8.20 when the golfers arrive. So a nice early start as they're coming out of there nearby roosting wood.

Has anyone had any experiance of crow control over a golf course?

And why are they tearing up the greens?

Cheers SS

Are they rooks or crows. If they are crows the best method of control is a Larsen trap, I dont know about rooks or hooded crows but certainly the carrion crow cannot abide another of the breed in its territory. Perhaps less sporting than shooting but really effective

There's an old saying, if I get it exactly correct:- If you see more than two Crows, the're Rooks and if you see less than two Rooks, the're Crows. Rooks are mostly interested in Leatherjackets, the lava of Crane flies, I believe, and can do untold damage whilst searching for them, thats why a lot of farmers want rid of them.

Probably, what you are seeing are Rooks and Ladder trapping is the best method on a shoot, but for an individual, I would suggest Decoys. Another thing, the seem to love corn, I get a lot around the feeders.

I can't say if they're Rooks or crows as I've not been to see the greenkeeper yet. I've got an appointment with him tommorow morning, so things should be alot clearer then.

So they're after the leather jackets then, cheers for that, at least I can tell him why they're tearing up his greens :rolleyes:

The problem with the ladder traps as some have suggested, is he wants no sign of us being there after the course opens to the punters, so a nice quick dawn raid & pack up at 8.15 is on the cards :lol:

Cheers guys

SS

sorry guys im confused, is there a type of blackbird you cant shoot!? as in crows/rooks etc, not the actual blackbirds, lil things with orange beaks i know theyre protected! :good:

Things you can shoot:

Rooks

Crows

Magpies

Jays

Pigeon (wood and Feral)

Geese

Duck

Gamebirds

Rabbits

Hare

Deer

Anything else DEFRA has granted special licence for specific to you ie commorants, parakeets etc

Some of the stuff above requires seasons and certain weapons but in theory anything on that list COULD be shot at SOME point in the year assuming you OWNED all the relevant guns with CONDITIONS for the above on your FAC.

So no to blackbirds, sparrows, dogs, cats etc

Hope that helps

Most greens are usually watered very regularly - which also attracts a lot of insects etc - & this is what the birds are after.

WHEN THE GREENS ARE WATERED THE WORMS COME TO THE SURFACE

IF YOU ARE GOING FISHING WATER THE LAWN AND PICK EM OFF.

WATCH THE MAGGIES DOING A DANCE ON THE LAWN ,THE WORMS THINK ITS RAINING AND COME UP TO BE PICKED OFF,

lol well my dog was starting to annoy me for a bit, I had a look in my basc book thingy afterwards its teh ravens that are protected. and you dont need FAC for a few of them...

Hence why I said certain guns and that should you need a FAC you need the conditions for the species. :good:

This is the DEFRA list of what is on General licences General licence as far as birds are concerned. Sensibly, a reasonably powerful weapon will be required for Canada geese, the rest will be quite easily taken with an air rifle. Read very carefully, as the reason for shooting certain species are varied.

I can't say if they're Rooks or crows as I've not been to see the greenkeeper yet. I've got an appointment with him tommorow morning, so things should be alot clearer then.

So they're after the leather jackets then, cheers for that, at least I can tell him why they're tearing up his greens :)

The problem with the ladder traps as some have suggested, is he wants no sign of us being there after the course opens to the punters, so a nice quick dawn raid & pack up at 8.15 is on the cards :lol:

Cheers guys

SS

A quick way of telling one from t,other,

The Rook has a grey beak and the crow a black beak remember black beak.. black heart = crow. :lol:

:lol: D2D

To be honest I don't think rooks do that much damage on normal grassland. In fact, since leather jackets eat the roots of grass the rooks are actually doing good. I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of the damage on the course was actually being done by badgers at night and that the rooks and magpies are just hoking around it during the daytime.

That said they can be a disease risk for livestock, will happily munch through a feed barn as well as contaminating it. The damage they can do on wheat/barley on the summer is unreal though, flattening the crop before eating it on the ground, also at drilling time because they prod around in the soil means that they are arguably then more of a pest than pigeons.

To be honest I don't think rooks do that much damage on normal grassland. In fact, since leather jackets eat the roots of grass the rooks are actually doing good. I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of the damage on the course was actually being done by badgers at night and that the rooks and magpies are just hoking around it during the daytime.

That said they can be a disease risk for livestock, will happily munch through a feed barn as well as contaminating it. The damage they can do on wheat/barley on the summer is unreal though, flattening the crop before eating it on the ground, also at drilling time because they prod around in the soil means that they are arguably then more of a pest than pigeons.

I have been shown large areas of flattened crops that have been put down to Badger damage, but what do they do, chase each other, roll around in it?

I have never seen them in a crop field, has anyone witnessed this? :lol:

:) D2D

The damage they can do on wheat/barley on the summer is unreal though, flattening the crop before eating it on the ground, also at drilling time because they prod around in the soil means that they are arguably then more of a pest than pigeons.

Teal

I get a lot of calls from local farmers after drilling winter wheat, rooks turning over the fields for leatherjackets and bringing newly germinated wheat to the surface, which then brings in the pigeons, so the damage that can be done is astronomical. I've seen 2-3 acres wiped out because of rooks followed by pigeons.

Also, as stated, they flatten standing crops to get at the grain, that is why I mentioned that I get a lot around the feeders, which can be utilised to nail the bu**ers.

I contacted DEFRA regarding crows and gulls on golf courses 18 months ago................................i apparently opened up a nasty can of worms :lol:

Yes in general we can take all on the list BUT and this is the crux of the matter, only if they are causing damage to crops, public health and safety etc. They do not class golf courses as crops but 'recreational activities' and are not covered under the general licences.

We still shoot the ******* BUT if someone catches you off the course doing it and they happen to know what's what, then be prepared to take the consequences should they phone plod or someone, especially if they have a camera phone to prove it :)

some of the courses I shoot on are surrounded by public footpaths and even at 05.00 in the summer months, there are people walking their dogs and often stop to see what we're doing :lol:

sorry guys im confused, is there a type of blackbird you cant shoot!? as in crows/rooks etc, not the actual blackbirds, lil things with orange beaks i know theyre protected! :good:

Things you can shoot:

Rooks

Crows

Magpies

Jays

Pigeon (wood and Feral)

Geese

Duck

Gamebirds

Rabbits

Hare

Deer

Anything else DEFRA has granted special licence for specific to you ie commorants, parakeets etc

Some of the stuff above requires seasons and certain weapons but in theory anything on that list COULD be shot at SOME point in the year assuming you OWNED all the relevant guns with CONDITIONS for the above on your FAC.

So no to blackbirds, sparrows, dogs, cats etc

Hope that helps

:oops: :yp:

Yep there after leather jackets etc.

TRY THIS IT WORKS FOR ME.

Set up whirler 300 to 400 yds from where they are. put one rook on and one dead magpie and 3 or 4 rook deeks. they will chase that magpie round for a couple of hours :D:wub::wub: '

went yday what a laugh keeper wouldn.t believe me till he saw it. 106 in the bag 2 and half hours.

going back thurs. :stupid::blush: