Windows 10

billytheghillie

You can believe them if you chose to do so. I know I will not take their word for it...

You don't currently pay an annual fee for your windows I assume? The offer is for an upgrade which carries a one-off cost normally - not an annual fee. All they are saying is that this cost is waived if you upgrade between now and July 2016. If you wait till after that they will charge you the one -off fee as they always have done.

The only time you pay annually is either for their Cloud products or if you are on a corporate EA or OVS agreement.

Edited by MrM

• 2 weeks later...

Thought i'd resurect this thread since i upgraded from 7 to 10 last night and was it was working fine,but literally an hour ago a gremlin has surfaced.

My synaptics pointing device (i use a laptop) now no longer scrolls.

Been searching the web,but nothing. There are no drivers available yet so any ideas???

Right,an update. If anyone elses does the same double click your Synaptecs pointing device emblem in your system tray and go to settings then scrolling. Tick the vertical scroll box and it will work.

Sounds a simple fix,but i never thought to look there since i did not adjust anything. Windows 10 though is a lot different to what i had (7).

As of now I'm back on 8.1, the PDF problems, copy and paste problems, unable to shut down properly without rigmarole and eventually that blasted Cortana got on my tits. Windows 10 was supposed to be brilliant but the reality was very different. won't touch it again.

I've decided I like windows 8.1, it works for me.

Just returned to windows 8:1 after 3 days of windows 10.

Today on start up the following message greeted me " CRITICAL PROBLEM NO START MENU OR CORTANA AVAILABLE ,WE WILL TRY TO FIX THIS THE NEXT TIME YOU SIGN IN "

After signing in about 12 times it became apparent that this was never going to solve the problem ,so onto the control panel and restore point .

Looking on-line this would seem to be an enormous problem .

Thank you Mr Bill Gates for cocking up most of my afternoon with this piece of garbage ,no bloody wonder its free. :no: :no: :no:

It is going down the road of google.

Yes its Free, but will be full of what you are doing and where you are and pages you visit.

It does it now,,But will be much more aggressive in its make up.

Google have been Warned several times in the last few months on Andriod systems.

They are going the same way, it will upgrade forever once loaded,, Be Warned..

Tried 10,impressed with apparent improvements to 8 but now back to 7 owing to wi-fi connection problems(dropping out regularly) on my toshiba laptop.May be good when sorted but for me noticed no advantages compared to 7.Start up and shutdown were noticeably slower although reviews I had read said it was quicker.

This is completely and utterly incorrect.

It is a completely free upgrade, forever.

With Catches you haven't even thought of..

You do not get anything for Free,,, the program is Yours forever,All upgrades as well.?.

You will spend half your time on it Downloading Their UP GRADES..

Be it on your own Head.. Be Warned...

You do not get anything for Free,,, the program is Yours forever,All upgrades as well.?.

And the other half your time figuring out how it works/updating virus ware/fixing it with patches

And the other half your time figuring out how it works/updating virus ware/fixing it with patches

Just like every other windows since 3.2 then.

Actually it is very easy to use, more like a hybrid between XP and 7. Very easily laid out and works just fine. Already had to update the pointer device and it worked easily enough. So far not a bad experience at all.

Lie I said before, I'm a bit of a technophobe so I don't want to have to play around with things to make them work. Windows 10 caused me problems, so did windows 8 until I went to 8.1.

Why can't they just produce something with the glitches ironed out instead of testing it on the general public?

If you buy a car and the heater doesn't work or you can't get reverse gear you send it back as unfit for purpose.

I thought windows 10 was going to be something special but the reality for me was nothing but aggro, I got close to putting the laptop in the bin.

You don't pay for secutiry updates while the OS is supported, if that's what you mean.

I'm not really sure how more free they could make it unless they paid for your broadband while downloading updates.

They are imposing upgrades on 'home' users to cut down the support required from people who never update.

Lie I said before, I'm a bit of a technophobe so I don't want to have to play around with things to make them work. Windows 10 caused me problems, so did windows 8 until I went to 8.1.

Why can't they just produce something with the glitches ironed out instead of testing it on the general public?

If you buy a car and the heater doesn't work or you can't get reverse gear you send it back as unfit for purpose.

I thought windows 10 was going to be something special but the reality for me was nothing but aggro, I got close to putting the laptop in the bin.

The problem with windows is that the permutations of hardware that are available are almost endless, unlike apple kit where they

have it really tied down. So you get more flexibility at a better price but you pay for it in more regular updates.

They have had thousands of people on an early adopter program for over a year so they've been getting a lot of real

world feedback but there are so many ways of using it.....