Pigeon Shooting with Fast Cartridges

srspower

Thanks for watching guys :)

Why do you say you would of got more?

I use 26g of 6 RC in my 20b and have great results

I think it's because my gun doesn't fit me so i have to adapt to shoot it well. And it took me a long time to master it. So when I use hot loads like RC it completely puts me off my swing. You can see in the footage at times the stock comes away from my shoulder. I smacked my face too. Still a good day but I should have shot around 25 or so.

Its not the cartridge that the issue, its getting used to the speed of the cartridge. You would not think it makes much difference but I find it does especially on longer shots.

Last winter I needed some more game cartridges, my old cartridge ( Eley Grand Prix High Pheasant) had been discontinued and replaced by VIP High Pheasant. So I had a box of 25 of them and a box of 25 Black Golds. Used the latter all morning, not to bad all in all, used the former after lunch and shot like a house on fire. First one was a high cock curling away to my right, 30 yards or so up and at least the same away with the wind up his backside, half choke and it was instantly dead. Decision was more or less made there and then !!.

A

Another interesting video. Just a couple of things you could try. Maybe put your decoys and rotary closer to the hide and keep the rotary between your hide and main decoy pattern. This may help you to get the pigeons to commit a little better.

Another interesting video. Just a couple of things you could try. Maybe put your decoys and rotary closer to the hide and keep the rotary between your hide and main decoy pattern. This may help you to get the pigeons to commit a little better.

Yeah I did try moving the magnet closer but then it was interfering with the pattern. So I took it in, had reasonably good results after that. Thanks a lot for the feedback, we are out again on Saturday weather permitting!

Another interesting video. Just a couple of things you could try. Maybe put your decoys and rotary closer to the hide and keep the rotary between your hide and main decoy pattern. This may help you to get the pigeons to commit a little better

after watching the vid I thought exactly the same, most shots were at long range good shooting though,, but could make it easier by moving everything 10 yards closer in

At least you had a fair bit of trade coming in. I have the pattern a lot closer than that and I did notice that a high percentage of the birds were double shots even though they had fallen to the shot. I kept thinking "why has he given that bird another barrel" and some of those birds were way out there unless it is an optical stunt of the camera lens that just makes it look like that. I start my pattern about 10 paces out and the far ones about 25 paces out. This puts the birds in the 30 > 35 pace bracket when coming in or going away which is about the best pattern range for 1/2 choke

At least you had a fair bit of trade coming in. I have the pattern a lot closer than that and I did notice that a high percentage of the birds were double shots even though they had fallen to the shot. I kept thinking "why has he given that bird another barrel" and some of those birds were way out there unless it is an optical stunt of the camera lens that just makes it look like that. I start my pattern about 10 paces out and the far ones about 25 paces out. This puts the birds in the 30 > 35 pace bracket when coming in or going away which is about the best pattern range for 1/2 choke

Yeah definitely all too far out, I made the same mistake Sunday. Hence why we kept having to finish them off. The hide was pretty good we could have got way with it closer. Will change tactics on Saturday I think.

I'm not a cartridge freak or brand geek and I don’t care about brand or what they are. In my bag I might have several different types, brands and shot sizes. I don’t even look at them. As long as they go bang and I put the lead on the target it usually falls down. Years ago it used to be grand prix 1-1/16oz 30 grm that was pretty std but one time I invited a friend to shoot with me and I put him in the next field to me on a reasonable line. He soon got shooting a lot and he was knocking them down all over the place at ranges that seemed to be incredible. Generally he shot clays and he was using Maionchi 32grm 8s. This display really made me think and ever since then I don’t even consider what type, brand or anything> I just plonk em in the chamber and shoot. The only thing that I do, do if possible is to set my hide about 30 paces away from a tree that pigeons might alight into. I then have a box of #5 shot available in a belt hung on the hide pole to knock down the ones that flight into the tree. I’ve found that if I shoot these perching birds with 6,7 that there is a fair old cloud of feathers and the blighters fly off into the distance but the 5’s drop em. I don’t set up under the tree because your sitting in the hide and you might hear one flap into the tree or one stars cooing up there but you cant see where they are. This means that either they fly away on the next shot or you get out of the hide and the devil flys out from the tree from the other side.

I'm not a cartridge freak or brand geek and I don’t care about brand or what they are. In my bag I might have several different types, brands and shot sizes. I don’t even look at them. As long as they go bang and I put the lead on the target it usually falls down. Years ago it used to be grand prix 1-1/16oz 30 grm that was pretty std but one time I invited a friend to shoot with me and I put him in the next field to me on a reasonable line. He soon got shooting a lot and he was knocking them down all over the place at ranges that seemed to be incredible. Generally he shot clays and he was using Maionchi 32grm 8s. This display really made me think and ever since then I don’t even consider what type, brand or anything> I just plonk em in the chamber and shoot. The only thing that I do, do if possible is to set my hide about 30 paces away from a tree that pigeons might alight into. I then have a box of #5 shot available in a belt hung on the hide pole to knock down the ones that flight into the tree. I’ve found that if I shoot these perching birds with 6,7 that there is a fair old cloud of feathers and the blighters fly off into the distance but the 5’s drop em. I don’t set up under the tree because your sitting in the hide and you might hear one flap into the tree or one stars cooing up there but you cant see where they are. This means that either they fly away on the next shot or you get out of the hide and the devil flys out from the tree from the other side.

Really useful information thankyou! I think I need to either get my gun fitted or sell it for something that does fit. I'd hate to sell it though.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

ATB 425

Thanks for watching :)

I think it's because my gun doesn't fit me so i have to adapt to shoot it well. And it took me a long time to master it. So when I use hot loads like RC it completely puts me off my swing. You can see in the footage at times the stock comes away from my shoulder. I smacked my face too. Still a good day but I should have shot around 25 or so.

Your gun fit can’t be all that much out because you seem to be able to hit most of the targets. If you think that your gun doesn’t fit you What about making up a butt plate packer as a cheap throw away experiment. All you would need is a reasonably firm bit of foam or even layers of corrugated cardboard or rubber inner tube to cut out a few spacers from. Take the butt plate screws out and draw around the plate onto the material and then reset the plate and re fit in the mirror.

All you got to do is to go on youtube and type in “gun fitting” to get an idea of how the picture should look in a mirror. Both of these links might be helpful to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBaFgUapW4

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-JOj4J_Ltc

They make it look so easy.

Looks like you've got the magnet placed way too far out and seems to be blocking the entrance to the decoy pattern.....as a rule I find the pigeons will flare when they get near the magnet so the closer it is the bigger window of opportunity you get to shoot the pigeons!

Only what I've found anyway, usually put the magnet no more than 10-15 yards from the hide, to one side of the pattern.

Some nice long shots though :)