chicken cull !

islandgun

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:good: Thanks for the very interesting input men. kind of thought a clatter an the napper was the way to go :oops: (Glaswegian for sharp rap on the nut Or if using your own head a kiss), I seem to remember talk of an old poachers trick of lacing pheasant feed with alcohol, but probably should keep the drink myself and man up, how about a rimfire ? we dont have foxes here and I spent a few years trapping mink, so no predators when you need them, as for sheep I usually finish a damaged animal with a 410, :oops:

It's the same deal as when despatching pheasants while beating. Hold both wings together in one hand it makes the head stick out and a quick tap and job done. No mess humane, I get the feeling were you to get caught gassing with a chainsaw it might be a court appearance....

:good: I will tell you how get on

You could use a rimfire to the top of the bonce, but it'd go straight through, so you'd want to be very aware of what's in the possible path of the bullet. Have you got access to a sub-12 air rifle ?

EDIT : agreed with 410 shotgun for seriously injured sheep and humane dispatch, it's my tool for the job too.

Edited by robbiep

You could use a rimfire to the top of the bonce, but it'd go straight through, so you'd want to be very aware of what's in the possible path of the bullet. Have you got access to a sub-12 air rifle ?

EDIT : agreed with 410 shotgun for seriously injured sheep and humane dispatch, it's my tool for the job too.

In the past and for singles I have caught them in a net and used an air rifle but suspect it would take a while and be bloody for this many I will see how the priest goes Just cant see me stretching any necks though ! (whimp) cheers everyone

I wonder if there is a market for softy chicken owners for a humane despatching tool that doesn't involve whacking them

In the napper?

A car battery, a step up transformer and some sort of gentle pressure clamp then a bloody great jolt to shuffle them off their mortal coil.

I wonder if there is a market for softy chicken owners for a humane despatching tool that doesn't involve whacking them

In the napper?

A car battery, a step up transformer and some sort of gentle pressure clamp then a bloody great jolt to shuffle them off their mortal coil.

yes mate electrocution there are small ones available for small time meat producers

yes mate electrocution there are small ones available for small time meat producers

I didn't know that, I knew they stunned them in slaughter houses, but didn't realise that they did little ones.

It makes sense now i choose to think about it. I ought to think more often!!

Once new of someone who would crack a pheasants skull by biting it, how are your teeth :lol:

Ill take em out and they can do it on their own :)

you're a man of many talents IG, could you not make something out of an old bicycle, a dynamo, and an old bathtub?

sounds like something out of last of the summer wine, I would probably fall in !

you're a man of many talents IG, could you not make something out of an old bicycle, a dynamo, and an old bathtub?

You are wasted ..............why not hijak your dads merlin engine wack a 500kva tranny on it and advertise in the EDP as a pet chicken killer..............we could make a killing..!

Indeed, have you not taken the chickens thoughts into account? ???

They might want to live next door as the grass is always greener :whistling::lol:

This is the thing, we have a mutual respect for each other that is they understand my body language ? and I believe they are much more intelligent than we give them credit for, I am able to kill an animal that is injured without compunction but these hens are happy and free and overall in good health, their only crime is that they cost a hand full of grain each and they carp everywhere also I have no intention of eating them, which is usually my only reason for killing something, shucks :rolleyes:

I didn't know that, I knew they stunned them in slaughter houses, but didn't realise that they did little ones.

It makes sense now i choose to think about it. I ought to think more often!!

Near in mind it doesn't kill them tjough, it's a stun, the heart is still beating to get an effective bleed, keeping meat quality.

You can shoot pigeons,rabbits,crows and squirrels but you can't kill a chicken.i think you need a day with me on kill it cook it eat it.

:) we only get rabbits which I kill cook and then sell, but yes I would be very interested to sign up for a day pigeon shooting for when Im next down south, do you do general butchery courses please pm me any details,

My Fathers way of dispatching Roosters and Ducks was to Tie their Feet and Hang them up on a beam or rafter in an outhouse' Stun them with a priest and then Slice their throat and walk out.

You will need a bucket or basin to catch the Blood.

There are cone dispatchers available that will do a clean job' but dont think they would be cost effective for all you need to do.

A taxidermist once Showed me how to dispatch a bird cleanly if i had any intentions of getting it mounted.

You locate the lungs on the birds back and squeeze down on them until they die.

have to say' I never tried it. :hmm:

My Fathers way of dispatching Roosters and Ducks was to Tie their Feet and Hang them up on a beam or rafter in an outhouse' Stun them with a priest and then Slice their throat and walk out.

There are cone dispatchers available that will do a clean job' but dont think they would be cost effective for all you need to do.

A taxidermist once Showed me how to dispatch a bird cleanly if i had any intentions of getting it mounted.

i remember reading about Tibetan nomads who kill sheep by making an incision then reaching in and squeezing its heart ! probably not the quickest method for a few hens :)

I've done that before on a pigeon but wouldn't like to try it on a hen as I found it quite difficult. For hens ducks and geese that I do I simply put my foot on its head/beak and one chop with an axe very humane and very quick although a touch messy as the bird will flap around quite abit.

Edited by Luckyshot

i remember reading about Tibetan nomads who kill sheep by making an incision then reaching in and squeezing its heart ! probably not the quickest method for a few hens :)

They are going to die of old age at this rate...................perhaps your best bet now would be the "Liverpool pathway"..........

Normally I use the broom handle across the back of the neck . I hate doing the old hens because after a few years you do get attached to them. One thing I have noticed (won't help the op) is that old hen don't slip away easily like the young meat birds they kick and flap like mad, few legged it off into the darkness because I couldn't hang onto them.

Someone recently told me there's game bird dispatcher that spikes the brain so they're quieter. Might try finding one.

Did know someone who killed their flock (accidentally) by putting antifreeze in the water (idiot). Not sure how humane that is though.

Edited by SpringDon