Fox poaching?!?

kennett

Morning all, I was over the shoot yesterday afternoon mowing some flushing points etc and came across a dead vixen. Result,but worryingly it had a lovely neat 243 ish sized hole in probably it's lungs, maybe bottom of the heart.

Spoken to the land owner and it wasn't him, I went out a fortnight ago but this fox was probably a couple of nights old. So my question is, if someone was deer poaching (lots of fallow) why make it obvious by shooting a fox and leaving it in the open. Or why risk prison, fac etc to go fox poaching

Edited by kennett

It's a difficult one, it's a very strong hunting area, I have permission from the land owner but only if done extra stealthily and all evidence is removed. So apart from anything else if it had been found by the hunt, or the landowners dad I would have been on deep do-do. And yes it is armed trespass, but why risk it just to shoot a fox, unless the deer are why they are really there

With some people when they go out shooting whether its a legal activity or not they feel the need to kill something before they can go home. If the culprits were maybe poaching the Deer and didnt see any, then its very possible they decided to end up shooting the Fox before going home.

I cant understand how you know the hole is from a 243, Its hard enough to distinguish between a 22.250 bullet hole sometimes and a lorry impact :) (just wondering)

Edited by Dougy

If it was FMJ or SP (deer) then it would have gone clean through and out the other side, and made a hell of a mess doing so.

Do remember that .22 RF bullet is almost exactly the same size as a .224 bullet, and that would equally give minimal visible damage, and the possibility for the fox to make it a fair distance before expiring.

The thing is, that someone has probably been shooting somewhere they shouldn't have been, whatever rifle caliber they used at the time is neither here nor there.

Funny really that "I" was the topic in one of the local pubs, apparently I had been shooting on one of the neighboring estates that i have permission to shoot on. A fox was called onto my permission through the boundary fence and hedge, It was not possible to shoot anyway on there bit as sight was lost in a valley,( not that I would have ) when It showed on my perm I took the shot, picked it up and gave it back to the other estate. So when one of there super shooters found it they started to assume.

Quite funny really as nobody is aware of any vermin control on there shoot.

Edited by Dougy

ya mean ya shot it and chucked it back over the fence jon? lol

That's what crossed my mind :lol: Legal (?) and easy, what's not to like :good:

Well yes, Thats what I put isnt it :lol:.

I find it well funny :yes: the more they moan about me the more I do it. :yes::lol: I have some sticks in the back of the pick up I'm going to stake one out sitting up looking over to there game crop this coming week. that should stir things up a bit :)

If the carcass showed a neat entry and exit with little evidence of expansion then it's entirely possible that it was hit with a softpoint designed for larger game, which failed to expand. Had it myself, to the point where I've started using dedicated foxing ammo for lamping.

Robert Bucknall has a photo of a Fox shot broadside, with the round passing through without expanding, which was shot again days later, still alive and mobile. Had very similar myself but Fox shot a couple of minutes after initial shot.

Fox could have been shot on neighbouring ground and made it onto yours before succumbing.

Novice

Well yes, Thats what I put isnt it :lol:.

I find it well funny :yes: the more they moan about me the more I do it. :yes::lol: I have some sticks in the back of the pick up I'm going to stake one out sitting up looking over to there game crop this coming week. that should stir things up a bit :)

You want to get an old blanket and picnic set from the charity shop, prop him up like he's having a tea party. No-one will ever believe them when they try to tell about it. :lol:

I don't know, it was almost smack bang in the middle of over 1000 acres, so would have to come a long way with a fairly well placed chest shot but as said, not impossible. I suppose I won't really ever know, but will be keeping an eye out for strange trucks or tyre tracks!